The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Keeping my eyes open:doh:
Doing all the different things at once. Changing gears on the roundabout while also steering and then quickly checking mirrors and signalling. It's all so fast.

If anyone has done their tests in the last few years..how many hours did you you take to pass?
I passed after 32 hours, 6 minors.
Reply 383
Just back from a lesson and we just done maneuvers today, mainly turning on the road and bay parking. Also tried parallel parking for the first time. It wasn't my favourite but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though! I'm finding bay parking to be the easiest atm.
I still can't parallel park, 3 years later :smile:
Original post by Spock's Socks
Just back from a lesson and we just done maneuvers today, mainly turning on the road and bay parking. Also tried parallel parking for the first time. It wasn't my favourite but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though! I'm finding bay parking to be the easiest atm.

it helped me when a friend told me that . . . you realise how easy driving is after you've passed and driven for a while.

something then just kinda clicked in my brain that. . . it's difficult now, but in the future i'll be confident, safe, technically skilled etc etc and I'm there!

Make sure to do a mock test, and basically just be safe, that's all they want.

Ah that's good :smile:
Parallel parking is easy once you remember the turning points and how much you need to turn, etc :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 387
I'm making really good progression in my driving lessons after changing instructors. I'm much more confident driving at higher speeds, knowing when to change gear, roundabouts etc! BUT when it comes to emerging with fast moving traffic and hill junctions I absolutely flop it. It's a nervous thing because when me and my instructor practice hill starts and holding the car on the bite I'm perfect at it, one car comes up behind me and BAM I can't do it! Debating whether to book my test and hope for the best seeing as it won't be until at least September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 388
A good read if you have your test coming up soon. There's some things being added and removed from the test

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/big-driving-test-changes-make-8427324?ICID=FB_mirror_main
A good read if you have your test coming up soon. There's some things being added and removed from the test

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/big-driving-test-changes-make-8427324?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Oh sweet I'll have a read when I get home

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bigger roundabouts, reversing round corners, bay parking, having to be consistently being aware of what could be in front of me (i miss a lot!)
The thing I found most difficult was looking ahead and being aware of the potential hazards (e.g a car coming towards me and a narrowing in the road, so I'd need to slow down to avoid us both reaching that point at the same time). That took a lot of time to be able to do, longer than all the technical things.

Hey can I ask at what hour did you start to learn the maneuvers?
Reply 393
Original post by Ohlordt
Hey can I ask at what hour did you start to learn the maneuvers?

I started learning maneuvers after about my 4th lesson with my current instructor but I did have about 13 lessons the year before with an another instructor and we never touched on maneuvers. I think it all comes down to your instructors preference when yo introduce them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 394
I'm trying to find out what makes a TV driving safety campaign effective, and am looking for as many people as possible to watch a thirty second advert and then answer some questions about it. The research is running for the next two months, and you can take part at https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/DrivingSafety16 and be in with a chance of winning one of five £20 Amazon vouchers.
Reply 395
Apparently this heatwave is meant to last all week :cry2: not looking forward to my lesson on Thursday then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently this heatwave is meant to last all week :cry2: not looking forward to my lesson on Thursday then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just about coped yesterday in my lesson, luckily my instructor had the air con on and had the window open :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so slow setting off
:frown:

Damn world
Why can't we all travel at 30 and be happy :u:
Original post by Ohlordt
I'm so slow setting off
:frown:

Damn world
Why can't we all travel at 30 and be happy :u:

My instructor showed me how to move off really really fast in the car park of lidl

This actually made me more confident in moving of slowly
Reply 399
Anyone have their tests coming up soon? :smile: I think I remember one persons test being at the end of July

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending