The Student Room Group

C2 - Logarithms

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chittesh14
Is my answer right in terms of explanation or have I blundered somewhere.
The answer is 3 I got that :redface:.

image.jpeg

You say it cant be negative but you don't explain why. Use the cubic for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is my answer right in terms of explanation or have I blundered somewhere.
The answer is 3 I got that :redface:.

image.jpeg

You've got two simultaneous equations, you've only used one equation. It stands to reason that you need to use the other as well. Indeed, if you check a=±3a = \pm 3, in the cubic, you'll find that a=3a=3 is the only valid solution.
Original post by Zacken
You've got two simultaneous equations, you've only used one equation. It stands to reason that you need to use the other as well. Indeed, if you check a=±3a = \pm 3, in the cubic, you'll find that a=3a=3 is the only valid solution.

Oh lol. Thanks, yeah even if I put a = -3 in my other simultaneous equation, it doesn't work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RDKGames

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I just used the second simultaneous equation lol it's shorter that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken

I tried working out part b by using the argument of Z1 and Z2 and multiplying them Together and dividing them but the answers were always wrong until I actually found Z1Z2 and then worked out the argument. Does is rule only apply for modulus?
I tried working out part b by using the argument of Z1 and Z2 and multiplying them Together and dividing them but the answers were always wrong until I actually found Z1Z2 and then worked out the argument. Does is rule only apply for modulus?

It can be easier to represent complex numbers in their exponential form.
a+bireix, r=a2+b2, x=arctanba \displaystyle a+bi \equiv re^{ix}, \ r=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}, \ x=\arctan \frac{b}{a} .

No. For the argument you add/subtract the individual arguments respectively rather than multiply/divide. You should find out what really is going on visually when two complex numbers multiply/divide in order to understand it, or just prove it to yourself algebraically.

I take it you are doing further maths if you're looking at complex numbers?
Original post by B_9710
a+bireix, r=a2+b2, x=arctanba \displaystyle a+bi \equiv re^{ix}, \ r=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}, \ x=\arctan \frac{b}{a} .

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by the re^{ix} part. I understand the r as modulus. I understand x as a part in working out the argument, but I'm not too sure about e and i or whatever because maybe I haven't learnt it? :O.

No. For the argument you add/subtract the individual arguments respectively rather than multiply/divide. You should find out what really is going on visually when two complex numbers multiply/divide in order to understand it, or just prove it to yourself algebraically.

I take it you are doing further maths if you're looking at complex numbers?

Yeah, I was going to do that lol and actually do it by working out Z1 * Z2 and then doing the argument. That's what I did at the end, but I was too mad by then to actually explore it lol. So, it's like powers / exponents. In terms of the same power (argument), you add or subtract.

Yeah, FP1 - Complex Numbers lolz.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by the re^{ix} part. I understand the r as modulus. I understand x as a part in working out the argument, but I'm not too sure about e and i or whatever because maybe I haven't learnt it? :O.

That's in FP2 and is simply a different form of a complex number, don't worry about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Zacken

Original post by B_9710

Nvm guys, sorry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nvm guys, sorry.

For c it's simply the case of showing that the angles from that -2 to the other other points add up to 90 :smile:

Or you can also do it by finding gradients, they should be negative reciprocal sod each other
For c it's simply the case of showing that the angles from that -2 to the other other points add up to 90 :smile:

Or you can also do it by finding gradients, they should be negative reciprocal sod each other

Lol. I just joined up the sides and it formed a right angled triangle lmfao. That's enough proof!!!
Yeah, I know that m1m2 = -1 rule for perpendicular lines lol.
Lol. I just joined up the sides and it formed a right angled triangle lmfao. That's enough proof!!!
Yeah, I know that m1m2 = -1 rule for perpendicular lines lol.

"Yeah it looks right-angled enough.... QED!"

Try that in the exams :smile:
"Yeah it looks right-angled enough.... QED!"

Try that in the exams :smile:

Unfortunately, I might not get full UMS if I try it. So, fk the risk lol.
x

Original post by Zacken
x

Original post by B_9710
x

Hi guys, I'm just feeling a bit crazy XD I've done FP1 - Chapter 2 - Linear Interpolation. It's taking so long like 20 minutes per question or less idek (it feels long), or more. But, I may be doing something wrong or extra - maybe there is a shorter way of the method idk.

I'll post my working out to the question later, but I'll post the question now - can any of you just do the question and post your working out too - I might compare it before I post my working out too lol. I don't really know when I can post it lol that's the problem XD.

Question:

2. (a) Show that a root of the equation 5x3 - 8x2 + 1 = 0 has a root between x = 1 and x = 2.
(b) Find this root using linear interpolation correct to one decimal place.
(edited 7 years ago)
2. (a) Show that a root of the equation 5x3 - 8x2 + 1 = 0 has a root between x = 1 and x = 2.
(b) Find this root using linear interpolation correct to one decimal place.

Eh? This takes less than a minute. Denote your function by ff, then since we have f(1)=2f(1) = -2 and f(2)=9f(2) = 9, then since ff is continuous, there exists a root α(1,2)\alpha \in (1, 2).

Now, linearly interpolate ff in the above interval, we have

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\frac{2 - \alpha}{9} = \frac{\alpha - 1}{2} \Rightarrow 4 - 2\alpha = 9\alpha - 9 \Rightarrow 11\alpha = 13 \Rightarrow \alpha \approx 1.2 \end{equation*}

And then interpolate again in (1,1.2)(1, 1.2) etc...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Eh? This takes less than a minute. Denote your function by ff, then since we have f(1)=2f(1) = -2 and f(2)=9f(2) = 9, then since ff is continuous, there exists a root α(0,1)\alpha \in (0, 1).

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*}\frac{2 - \alpha}{9} = \frac{\alpha - 1}{2} \Rightarrow 4 - 2\alpha = 9\alpha - 9 \Rightarrow 11\alpha = 13 \Rightarrow \alpha \approx 1.2 \end{equation*}

That's not the way I'm taught it in the book. Also, 1.2 is not the correct answer either so idk lol. In the book, you draw out a sketch then use similar triangles to work out an approximation and keep on repeating the process until you get two successive approximations which round to the same answer when rounded to 1 d.p.
Original post by Zacken
Eh? This takes less than a minute. Denote your function by ff, then since we have f(1)=2f(1) = -2 and f(2)=9f(2) = 9, then since ff is continuous, there exists a root α(0,1)\alpha \in (0, 1).

What you've done is found the next approximation to 1 d.p.
I done the process that my book showed me and then got 1. (18 recurring) and that rounds to 1.2 which is probably how you got that.
x

Original post by Zacken
x

Original post by B_9710
x

Show that the largest possible root of the equation x^3 - 2x^2 - 3 = 0 lies in the interval [2, 3].

Anyone? - I can show it lies within the interval but I'm not sure how to answer it.
Do I just show that when x > 3 or x < 2, f (x) is not 0 ?

Also, does anyone know if there is a solution bank for the edexcel books FP1 from Keith Pledger?

Also what is the different between linear interpolation and interval interpolation - this is not even in the book lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
If there were another root of f, x>3 then there would have to be a turning point in the range (3,) (3,\infty ) .

Quick Reply

Latest