The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

A really enjoyable watch today and looking forward to tomorrow where I think the Test will be decided - at the moment it's the visitors' Test to lose especially they edge past 300 tomorrow which I think they will.

They did well to mop up England's tail and survive a poor start. I don't rate Hafeez and haven't done so for a while, but because he can't bowl, can't take a catch, puts his fellow batsmen under pressure with an easy dismissal, he's not doing anything for the team. But he'll stay in because of his experience - which is helping no-one atm.

Azhar/Younus went too into their shells and allowed pressure to build I felt. Azhar bats that way but normally tries to have eloquent strokeplay but Younus was ostensibly all over the place technique wise but he did his job bringing out the best in Shafiq. Speaking of Pakistan's number six, impressed everytime I see him bat but he got a good delivery from Woakes yet still room for improvement in terms of making a big score for his team. Played his role very nicely today alongside Sarfraz who continues to embarrass Waqar Younis reported lack of trust in him when he was coach with a bright, energetic 49 - even got Yasir to get 30 crucial runs!

For England, if they had one of Anderson/Stokes (incidentally is playing for Durham today) they'd have got Pakistan out for less but Woakes has been excellent and very consistent. Reading he's bowling speed has gone up from his debut but England would be struggling without him. Moeen was under pressure but two good wickets including allowing Misbah to be uncharacteristically loose and going out for a duck. Imagine he did 100 push-ups as punishment..

But great start to the series and happy that Pakistan are showing competitiveness in the game - Mickey Arthur's influence showing positive omens for the future hopefully.
Reply 1341
Original post by Aky786UK
A really enjoyable watch today and looking forward to tomorrow where I think the Test will be decided - at the moment it's the visitors' Test to lose especially they edge past 300 tomorrow which I think they will.

They did well to mop up England's tail and survive a poor start. I don't rate Hafeez and haven't done so for a while, but because he can't bowl, can't take a catch, puts his fellow batsmen under pressure with an easy dismissal, he's not doing anything for the team. But he'll stay in because of his experience - which is helping no-one atm.

Azhar/Younus went too into their shells and allowed pressure to build I felt. Azhar bats that way but normally tries to have eloquent strokeplay but Younus was ostensibly all over the place technique wise but he did his job bringing out the best in Shafiq. Speaking of Pakistan's number six, impressed everytime I see him bat but he got a good delivery from Woakes yet still room for improvement in terms of making a big score for his team. Played his role very nicely today alongside Sarfraz who continues to embarrass Waqar Younis reported lack of trust in him when he was coach with a bright, energetic 49 - even got Yasir to get 30 crucial runs!

For England, if they had one of Anderson/Stokes (incidentally is playing for Durham today) they'd have got Pakistan out for less but Woakes has been excellent and very consistent. Reading he's bowling speed has gone up from his debut but England would be struggling without him. Moeen was under pressure but two good wickets including allowing Misbah to be uncharacteristically loose and going out for a duck. Imagine he did 100 push-ups as punishment..

But great start to the series and happy that Pakistan are showing competitiveness in the game - Mickey Arthur's influence showing positive omens for the future hopefully.

Anderson was appearing for Lancashire at Southport, too.

By all accounts, Cook and Bayliss wanted him included in the XI, but the senior selectors don't want to rush him - and perhaps there's just reason for that, given the fact England have their longest and most comprehensive season ever next year.

As for Woakes, I'm just delighted for him. He has been astute in his improvement: he knows not all pitches will suit his bowling as much as Edgbaston or other county pitches, so he's been able to become smarter with his deliveries.

Original post by Mackay
Again, questions need to be asked of the England wicket keeper. With Buttler's injury though, you imagine Bairstow will retain the gloves for the entire series.

If we don't have Stokes, Foakes and Woakes at 6, 7 and 8 then the selectors are no fun.
300 is one of those scores that seems doable in the modern game, but a couple wickets fall and too many teams use it as a notional target. I wonder how many 2-3 wicket wins we could see if people played positively.
I remember reading that the highest 4th inning score that was chased by England is around 320? So not too far off. Pakistans game to lose I reckon. Regardless, today will be vital and still all of the results are possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hales is pony.

The #2 dilemma ever present.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not too far now, 1-0 to Pakistan is mostly guaranteed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting exciting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Think Sky did very well in making it sound closer than it was. The chase was always going to be beyond England. Pakistan were just about ahead at the end of day 1 and never gave up that position - certainly not after Yasir did his thing.

Not uncommon for us to lose at Lords though, we're better up north. Really looking forward to the rest of the series.

Anderson for Ball is a definite change, and Stokes for Finn seems likely.
Congrats to Pakistan! India also won at Lords a couple of years ago and then the series went downhill from there so let's see how Pakistan do!*

Happy that Amir took the last wicket and his celebration just showed how much it meant to him :tongue: *

England will make a few changes in the next game and expect them to come back much stronger! *
Original post by moment of truth
Congrats to Pakistan! India also won at Lords a couple of years ago and then the series went downhill from there so let's see how Pakistan do!*

Happy that Amir took the last wicket and his celebration just showed how much it meant to him :tongue: *

England will make a few changes in the next game and expect them to come back much stronger! *

India went down because we did not have the pace bowlers who could exploit the swinging conditions properly to their advantage. And our batting has always been bad in England since Dravid/ Sachin retired. So in that sense Pakistan have more chances of drawing the remaining matches rather than being thrashed ( like India were)
Absorbing watching of the cricket today - loved it!

Delighted to see Pakistan get over the line because at one point, Bairstow and Woakes looked like they were going to frustrate Pakistan at least onto the fifth day. But Yasir was key, providing breakthroughs but control allowing the rest to bowl well at the other end.

Some of the dismissals were avoidable (Moeen's exit was horrific and had he not taken two wickets in the second innings he would be under more scrutiny) but if they follow Bairstow's resilience added with their usual run scoring play, should amass more runs than they did. Two very good players to return for England in the next Test who will test Pakistan a lot.

So many nicks didn't carry which wasn't the players fault but Hafeez - who Im not a big fan of - took a good catch, some good ground fielding and Sarfraz kept well.

Bring on the second Test!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great effort from Pakistan, and a thoroughly deserved victory in the end. It was always going to be too much for England to chase.

I'm not sure Moeen Ali is an automatic selection now after that horrible dismissal. Anderson for Ball, and Stokes has to come in for either Ballance or Vince. Any opinions on who should come in for Ali?
Ali is fine. It was a horrendous shot today but two matches ago he scored a century and everyone was clamouring to push him up the order. The pressure he's coming under is because he seems to be going backwards with the ball, but his saving grace, as ever, is a lack of alternatives.

Seen a lot of people saying Stokes should come in for a batsman...why? Surely it's 5 batsmen, then Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes, Broad and Anderson. Not worth playing one less batsman for a 6 man attack. If Vince gets dropped it's either a like for like change (eg Borthwick), or to get a proper keeper in and push Bairstow into the top 5.
Reply 1354
Well, there we go.

I always thought Pakistan would emerge victorious after the second day's play, and so it proved. I wasn't surprised it was all wrapped up today, either. Full credit to Pakistan. They played excellently, and it would have been very unjust had England been able to get anything from this Test match.

It's even more refreshing for Pakistan to win the Test at Lord's, given the horrid way they departed the Home of Cricket some six years ago. They've been great this entire tour, helping youngsters at Sussex in the days succeeding their arrival, and it's done great things for their reputation. Misbah is absolutely central to that point - and, again, he showed a new side to Pakistan by breathing calmness into his side today, via his canny field positionings.

Misbah definitely won the battle of the captains, with Cook giving both barrels to his team in the post-match interview. It was great to hear him so honest and earnest: England just weren't anywhere near good enough batting wise, and that's what has cost them this Test match.

Pakistan’s four-man attack completely outdid England's five bowlers, too, with Shah obviously the pick of the bunch and the man of the Test. That's his first ten-wicket haul in Tests, and 86 wickets after 13 Tests, the most by any bowler at this stage of his career.

It's no surprise to hear Anderson is being roped back in for the second Test - but no word on Stokes yet. I feel Finn may be the man to make way, because he hasn't been firing, despite toiling and tiring and working hard. He isn't far off, in my view, because he has lacked luck in this Test and once he found one wicket he could have had a couple of more.

Now is the time to promote Rashid as the premier spinner, you imagine, with the subcontinent tours on the horizon this winer, with England facing Bangladesh and India. There's also the argument that Monty Panesar could come back into the fray, because by all reports, he's really impressing at Northants and really enjoying his cricket. I'd rather Borthwick was selected if it came to that, though, given his propensity to knock the ball around with the bat - and, of course, you've got Root to chip in with some overs on the subcontinent too.

England aren't enjoying Lord's this decade, are they? They lost to Australia last summer there, and India the year before. I feel for Woakes, who didn't deserve to be on the losing side, and Bairstow, whose 48 knock was impressive. I don't think the selectors will change the batting line-up just yet - and rightly so. Ballance and Vince need time, though the latter has less time to impress you imagine.

Some truly moronic batting from England at times - but full credit to Pakistan, as aforementioned. A great Test, and it beat the entire SL tour's matches combined.

Roll on the next two - at Edgbaston and Old Trafford - where you imagine Yasir will fire and impress once again. Watch out England!
We lack an all rounder really, if Hafeez wasn't banned the balance would be perfect. 3 left armers isn't ideal but they're the best three seamers we have, probably gifts 30 runs through the covers an innings though. Major issues are the green Masood and the past it Hafeez, may as well start 2 wickets down every game.

Mixed feelings, England fell apart at the crucial times, and nobody was able to grab the game by the scruff of the neck. Root inexplicably played dangerous shots, Bairstow unlucky but once bitten twice shy. Stokes and Anderson will be a massive boost, Finn was poor and Ball bowled ok, decent for the future. Can't see anything other than an Old Trafford win for England, great series ahead though.
You don't really need an all-rounder if you have a world class spinner.

Just looking at Cook's record - hasn't scored a century since the Pakistan away series, and has only scored three centuries since the start of the mega Ashes in 2013. Cook and Root are by far our best two batsmen, but both are struggling to score the type of innings that win matches.
Original post by Louis.
You don't really need an all-rounder if you have a world class spinner.

Just looking at Cook's record - hasn't scored a century since the Pakistan away series, and has only scored three centuries since the start of the mega Ashes in 2013. Cook and Root are by far our best two batsmen, but both are struggling to score the type of innings that win matches.

4 bowling options is light, especially when you see Wahab and Rahat nearly out of the attack :lol: still suspect Rahat is a fraud pie-chucker, and Riaz is only really effective when he can get it reversing, or on a quick pitch. Yasir is undoubtedly world class but it's a major risk when you've got 3 left-armers.

Root has had a subdued summer by his lofty standards but batting deep negates the need for match winning innings to a certain extent. Stokes coming in adds runs, Woakes is in glorious form and Anderson will probably shave 30 off any future Pakistan scores. Can see how there's a lack of mavericks (I can think of a certain somebody...) but strength in numbers will likely overcome anything Pakistan have to offer. Can see a 3-1 victory, as long as we stay competitive I'll be reasonably pleased.

Quote me in future pls bae xx
I'd be tempted to drop Rahat (agree on him that he's nothing special despite a decent performance in this match) and bring in Imran Khan who, from what I've seen of him, seems a tad expensive but a good action. Only Wahab was comfortable going round the wicket so need a right hander in there IMO.
Original post by Zayn is Bae
4 bowling options is light, especially when you see Wahab and Rahat nearly out of the attack :lol: still suspect Rahat is a fraud pie-chucker, and Riaz is only really effective when he can get it reversing, or on a quick pitch. Yasir is undoubtedly world class but it's a major risk when you've got 3 left-armers.

Root has had a subdued summer by his lofty standards but batting deep negates the need for match winning innings to a certain extent. Stokes coming in adds runs, Woakes is in glorious form and Anderson will probably shave 30 off any future Pakistan scores. Can see how there's a lack of mavericks (I can think of a certain somebody...) but strength in numbers will likely overcome anything Pakistan have to offer. Can see a 3-1 victory, as long as we stay competitive I'll be reasonably pleased.

Quote me in future pls bae xx

Just think strengthening your batting is more important than finding another bowling option. Of course an all-rounder would be a bonus, but if your 6 best batsmen don't include someone who can bowl then I wouldn't force anyone in. And Shah plus 3 seamers will be enough to take 20 wickets more often than not.

The danger of batting so deep is that no one takes responsibility. We have loads of people who can chip in with quick 40s (probably going to have Woakes at 9 at Old Trafford), but unless our best players score big centuries we won't score the big 400+ totals that bat sides out of matches. Agree on series assessment, I said 2-1 or 3-1 England before the series and I'll stick with that for now.

Soz bbz.

Quick Reply

Latest