The Student Room Group

The whole driving test is a money making scam

Why does the theory test only last 2 years ? because currently there is a long waiting list for practical driving tests at various test centres of about 5 months or more. And it's highly likely that many people will have their theory test expire, because the waiting list at some test centres are just ridiculous, so they have to pay for another theory test until they pass then another practical which will likely be in 5+ months time and if they don't pass that's another 5 months and so on.
Then they'll have to keep paying for instructors to keep their knowledge fresh, I just think the DVLA is just making so much money of people

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Or maybe because if you don't manage to pass your driving test in 2 years you may not be practising the rules in real life and have forgotten them or do not know them well enough to put them to use when trying to drive?

You want people who have last even thought about the driving rules 5-10 years ago to drive on the streets and hope they don't kill someone?

2 years is a reasonable length of time to pass your driving test.
Reply 2
Original post by Devify
Or maybe because if you don't manage to pass your driving test in 2 years you may not be practising the rules in real life and have forgotten them or do not know them well enough to put them to use when trying to drive?

You want people who have last even thought about the driving rules 5-10 years ago to drive on the streets and hope they don't kill someone?

2 years is a reasonable length of time to pass your driving test.

No people might get busy for what ever reason maybe they move cities or go uni then think about taking there driving test that doesn't change my opinion though it's a nice little earner for the government. How can you forget the rules for example if someone passed there driving test and haven't driven in like 20 years they still won't have to take a theory test would they.
I think it should go up to 5 years then the theory test expires because the waiting list at some test centres are ridiculous 5 or 6 months, I will be contacting my local MP about this soon
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jee1
No people might get busy for what ever reason maybe they move cities or go uni then think about taking there driving test that doesn't change my opinion though it's a nice little earner for the government. How can you forget the rules for example if someone passed there driving test and haven't driven in like 20 years they still won't have to take a theory test would they.
I think it should go up to 5 years then the theory test expires because the waiting list at some test centres are ridiculous 5 or 6 months, I will be contacting my local MP about this soon

And they'll do jack ****.

Just get your act together, two years is plenty of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by shaymarriott
And they'll do jack ****.

Just get your act together, two years is plenty of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can *************** off because they can't scam me anymore I'll stick to my bus and walks because it's 10x cheaper than this whole driving test scam
Reply 5
Yeah, heaven forbid the Government want to restrict people driving if they can't prove they're good enough to do it safely...
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
Yeah, heaven forbid the Government want to restrict people driving if they can't prove they're good enough to do it safely...

I'm a pro when it comes to driving probably could drive better than you and many others with drivers licence, it's just the waiting times that's just taking the piss at the moment and good hard working people don't have to wait months to take their tests
Reply 7
Original post by Jee1
I'm a pro when it comes to driving probably could drive better than you and many others with drivers licence, it's just the waiting times that's just taking the piss at the moment and good hard working people don't have to wait months to take their tests

Sure you are buddy.

Enjoy the bus.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
Sure you are buddy.

Enjoy the bus.

Will do and in the process I'll save the money that I would've thrown at the DVLA scammers
5 months is a lot less than 2 years.
Original post by Jee1
Will do and in the process I'll save the money that I would've thrown at the DVLA scammers

Except those weekly tickets will soon add up...
Reply 11
Original post by Jee1
Then they'll have to keep paying for instructors to keep their knowledge fresh, I just think the DVLA is just making so much money of people

Lol I'm probably the only one who understands what you're saying, I've actually taken the theory test 3 times (getting basically 100% each time) due to not getting the test done in time.

The main problem is that you need to provide the car yourself (or pay an instructor for his + his time) whereas the test centre should provide it - what else are you getting for your £60?!!

However this does not worry the 90% who have had their parents pay upfront for 30-40 lessons and bought them a car with insurance so they never had to appreciate the financial factor...
Reply 12
Original post by xylas
Lol I'm probably the only one who understands what you're saying, I've actually taken the theory test 3 times (getting basically 100% each time) due to not getting the test done in time.

The main problem is that you need to provide the car yourself (or pay an instructor for his + his time) whereas the test centre should provide it - what else are you getting for your £60?!!

However this does not worry the 90% who have had their parents pay upfront for 30-40 lessons and bought them a car with insurance so they never had to appreciate the financial factor...

Yes, it's got to the point where I don't really need a driving instructor anymore and you are right they should provide dual control cars for the learners to take their tests in.
The whole thing is fixed imo, waiting times are ridiculous and the examiners fail you for the most smallest things then you wait for months then theory expires you then pay for another theory test then you must pass it even though it's easy but still you need like 100% to pass. Possibly a tactic to keep as many people off the roads as possible and a good little earner for the government and driving instructors
Reply 13
Original post by Jee1
Yes, it's got to the point where I don't really need a driving instructor anymore and you are right they should provide dual control cars for the learners to take their tests in.
The whole thing is fixed imo, waiting times are ridiculous and the examiners fail you for the most smallest things then you wait for months then theory expires you then pay for another theory test then you must pass it even though it's easy but still you need like 100% to pass. Possibly a tactic to keep as many people off the roads as possible and a good little earner for the government and driving instructors

Agreed :smile:
Definitely agree, 2 years is too short. I for example don't take lessons at university (only take them when I'm at home). I still haven't taken my first driving test yet (doing so in September), but I passed my theory a year ago! This means that if I fail this test, I'll probably have to wait a few months for the next one and if I fail THAT then I am approaching the 2 years mark
My driving instructor advised me not to do my theory until I was closer to being ready for my test...
So I did my theory, then it was a six week wait for the test
Reply 16
Original post by scientific222
Definitely agree, 2 years is too short. I for example don't take lessons at university (only take them when I'm at home). I still haven't taken my first driving test yet (doing so in September), but I passed my theory a year ago! This means that if I fail this test, I'll probably have to wait a few months for the next one and if I fail THAT then I am approaching the 2 years mark

Really annoying isn't it, they should put it at 5 years not 2!
This is not a problem at all. Assuming waiting times of 6 months, that is 4 attempts give or take, more than enough for the average person to pass their test.

They aren't keeping anyone off the roads for the sake of it, if you fail the test you are not of the correct standard to pass. You do not need dual controls to practice, you do not need 5 years to pass a very basic and easy test.

Put the hours in, you are learning a new skill that is very different to anything that you will have had to learn before. If it takes you more than 2 years to pass a test there are pretty good grounds to retest you.
Basically mirroring what is said above, 2 years is 4 tests assuming the worse case scenario... However, cancellations aren't uncommon, in reality, you could easily do more than 4 tests in a year, never mind 2 years.

Don't take your theory test too early and you won't need to worry about needing to take it again...

The fact is; driving is a privilege, not a right.
Don't like it? Waste time with public transport and walk.
Or just cycle everywhere.

Private transport may cost more, but time is far more valuable, you can make more money, but you can't make more time.
Original post by Jackieox
My driving instructor advised me not to do my theory until I was closer to being ready for my test...
So I did my theory, then it was a six week wait for the test

This is exactly what my instructor advised as well! Then you will never have the problem of expiration!

Some people really moan about silly things when the majority of them don't think it through beforehand!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest