The Student Room Group

Why is gender equality still not a reality in 2016?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redwhiteandbrit
But the inherent issue is that the focus in the definition of feminism inherently implies females must improve their rights to gain equality to the presently superior males... your definition focuses on advocating women's rights alone, to equal men's existing rights.

"Women should be treated the same as men" - your own words, which implies that women are inferior than superior males (which is true and is important!) but nowhere does it accommodate the very valid point that in some areas men are worse off.

Nowhere does it account for the disparities and unequal treatment men encounter, nor is it suggesting anyone's rights should progress beyond existing levels?

The difference with egalitarianism is that the definition is inherently pure equality. Not equity, not focusing on female advancement, but pure equality.

Radical feminists have tainted rhe movement. It is true that these do not represent all feminists, but frankly if your views truly supported the total equality of men and women, not simply the advance of just women's rights to equalise with men, egalitarianism is the more appropriate movement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do understand what you are saying. Like I said, I came to the conclusion that I support feminism going by the actual definition but I don't agree with radical feminists and I definitely care about equal rights for everyone regardless of gender, race, religion etc. so maybe I should describe myself as an egalitarian rather than a feminist. From my interpretation of the actual definitions I would say that I am both but I see what you mean about feminism not taking account of instances where men are disadvantaged which I do also care about so yes I'm probably actually an egalitarian.
bc brexit
Original post by Sapphire321
I do understand what you are saying. Like I said, I came to the conclusion that I support feminism going by the actual definition but I don't agree with radical feminists and I definitely care about equal rights for everyone regardless of gender, race, religion etc. so maybe I should describe myself as an egalitarian rather than a feminist. From my interpretation of the actual definitions I would say that I am both but I see what you mean about feminism not taking account of instances where men are disadvantaged which I do also care about so yes I'm probably actually an egalitarian.

Yes, yes you should. The F word is what puts a lot of guys off. It's not the idea of gender equality that puts guys off, it's the idea that equality movements should only be based on improving things for women.
Original post by MisterPC
Women can. Obviously, a lot don't want to though. Being able to spend more time with children is one of the greatest privileges women have and it's a shame men are not given this too.

Sorry, I know they can, I know it is possible, but it is more difficult for women to do both. I personally do really want both in the future if I can. I would definitely support men being able to do that if they want to. I wouldn't mind at all if my partner wanted to do more childcare and I worked longer hours. I just think we should have better equality so that people can choose rather than women being expected to do most of the childcare and housework and men being expected to earn the most/work for longer hours. If a man wants to do most of the childcare and housework then they shouldn't be judged for that. Similarly, if a woman wants to do less housework and childcare and work longer hours then she shouldn't be judged for that. I also don't think it should bother men so much if their partner earns more than them.
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
bc brexit

What? We haven't even triggered article 50 in order to start the process of leaving the EU yet so it can't possibly be because of brexit yet. It is true that women's rights and worker's rights could be taken away in the future though because of brexit but hopefully that won't happen.
What? We haven't even triggered article 50 in order to start the process of leaving the EU yet so it can't possibly be because of brexit yet. It is true that women's rights and worker's rights could be taken away in the future though because of brexit but hopefully that won't happen.

:rofl:

Spoiler

I believe their post was nowt but cheeky banter
Original post by orange crush
Yes, yes you should. The F word is what puts a lot of guys off. It's not the idea of gender equality that puts guys off, it's the idea that equality movements should only be based on improving things for women.

I probably will because I think that is a more accurate representation of what I believe but it is sad that radical feminists have made people think that feminism is such a negative thing when it shouldn't be.
It doesn't bother men if their partner earns more than them!

The first thing to fix to get more men at home with children would be equal maternity/paternity time.

Which is already the case, the leave is shared between the parents if a set of perfectly reasonable criteria are met

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CheeseIsVeg

Spoiler

Oops, I accidentally took it seriously because I've had some really strange responses on this thread, most of which have been serious! Aww, no you don't have to leave haha!
Oops, I accidentally took it seriously because I've had some really strange responses on this thread, most of which have been serious! Aww, no you don't have to leave haha!

thats ok
I know what u mean

Spoiler

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I believe their post was nowt but cheeky banter

Yeah, I get it now lol. I just thought it was serious because of some of the weird responses I've had previously which have been serious!
I think this is only true for statutory pay unless I'm mistaken? Most women get more than that so shared parental leave is not really economically viable.

Well anything above statutory is down to the employer, is it not, so there isn't exactly much you can do without making it effectively more statutory pay anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It doesn't bother men if their partner earns more than them!

The first thing to fix to get more men at home with children would be equal maternity/paternity time.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it often does. Would it not bother you then?

I agree, I've already said that several times in response to other people on this thread.
I think this is only true for statutory pay unless I'm mistaken? Most women get more than that so shared parental leave is not really economically viable.

Having double checked it, it is onky different for the first 6 weeks, the mother gets 90% of normal earning, the partner would get the lower of 90% normal and the flat rate, but for the other 33 weeks both get exactly the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IronicalMan
If you're nice to a woman she won't be as attracted to you as opposed to if you was a bit of a dickhead

That's just not true.
The wage gap can be explained by women having less pressure to be high earners, do less demanding/risky and therefore higher paying jobs.
Employers often pay all or a significant percentage of a women's salary for longer than the statutory period.

Although I agree, the new rules are a step in the right direction :smile:

If employers don't extend that to partners all it should take to rectify it is a single court case on the basis of discrimination and then common law will do its magic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joecphillips
What a successful patriarchy.

Good jobs all us, straight, white males have those regular meetings to make sure we can continue our privilege...
I'm not sure I follow but you could just have equality? Within a company you have to have the same maternity/paternity benefit?

As I said, if it's not the case it's a very easy legal battle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending