The Student Room Group

Economics or Politics AS level - Please Help! :)

Hey there everyone,

I'm currently going into lower 6th this year and I've chosen to do Politics for AS, however I'm having serious second thoughts about doing it after doing some work experience and just thinking over the Summer.

I'm currently doing English Lit, Geography and RS for AS which I don't intend to change. I was just wondering how much maths is involved in Economics (because I'm not a huge fan of it). I really love human geography which I've heard can help with Economics as they both link quite nicely. Has anyone here done both that can maybe help me out? Which one do you prefer? It's a really tough decision because I'd really like to do both, but I can't! :frown:

Many Thanks everyone :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
I'd only advise that you do economics if you want to do it at uni, I did it at A level and its hardwork but also easy. If you want to do economics at uni then you need A level maths. So there isn't a point in doing economics unless youre A) planning to do it uni and B) going to do maths.

I don't know about the new A level system but human geog only came to play in my second year. Maths also appeared from time to time but only as theory but recently exam boards are testing it.

I did A level Politics and its a brilliant and easy essay subject. I didn't do English lit but i know for a fact its demanding and with economics the workload will be too much imo.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by don jon
I'd only advise that you do economics if you want to do it at uni, I did it at A level and its hardwork but also easy. If you want to do economics at uni then you need A level maths. So there isn't a point in doing economics unless youre A) planning to do it uni and B) going to do maths.

I don't know about the new A level system but human geog only came to play in my second year. Maths also appeared from time to time but only as theory but recently exam boards are testing it.

I did A level Politics and its a brilliant and easy essay subject. I didn't do English lit but i know for a fact its demanding and with economics the workload will be too much imo.

Don't do Economics unless you are going to do a degree in it?? That can't be right can it?! I understand what you mean about the workload though and maybe you have a point, however atm I'm doing 3 essay subjects which also seems like a lot! Would dropping English for Economics be an option or would this start to limit my Uni options?
Reply 4
You could do it without wanting to do it at uni, but idk it was hard work (My opinion is it isnt worth it). I did well in econ, but with the work i put in i could've gotten higher grades in another subject (but remember i am biased). There's nothing wrong with doing 4 essay subjects, what do you want to do at uni or want to be. It might help with making a choice.

Also Geography and Economics are completely different, in economics there's a lot of exam technique and diagrams . So you'd have to learn new skills. With politics its learning content then putting it in essays.

How comes you dont want to do politics anymore?
Reply 5
Original post by don jon
You could do it without wanting to do it at uni, but idk it was hard work (My opinion is it isnt worth it). I did well in econ, but with the work i put in i could've gotten higher grades in another subject (but remember i am biased). There's nothing wrong with doing 4 essay subjects, what do you want to do at uni or want to be. It might help with making a choice.

Also Geography and Economics are completely different, in economics there's a lot of exam technique and diagrams . So you'd have to learn new skills. With politics its learning content then putting it in essays.

How comes you dont want to do politics anymore?

It's not that I don't want to do it, I never thought I'd say this but I'd quite like to do all 5! However it's just over the Summer I've been doing a fair bit of reading on economics and I did some work experience at an international Law firm, and I felt I might enjoy economics more than politics.

For what I want to do as a degree I honestly can't say but I'm confident at this point in time I want to go down the Law path in terms of my career.
(Btw many thanks for the advice)
No one answers my ****ing posts
Reply 7
I don't make posts like 'she says my d**k is too big'
Reply 8
I did work experience at a law firm too! in that case economics doesn't even relate to law at A level (didnt even help with my personal statement), Politics relates to it the most. I'm going to do law at uni this September and if you want to do law it doesn't matter what subjects you do but Eng Lit, Geog, RS and Politics is a combo i wish i did, it'll open so many damn doors to doing law. Don't drop Eng lit, its an academic subject, if you want to apply to top unis you'll need two(which you got with geog).

if you want to do law you MUST get As. so with econ there's a chance you might have a lot of workload, its risky imo. Stick with politics.
P.s DONT do A level Law its a joke
Reply 9
Original post by don jon
I did work experience at a law firm too! in that case economics doesn't even relate to law at A level (didnt even help with my personal statement), Politics relates to it the most. I'm going to do law at uni this September and if you want to do law it doesn't matter what subjects you do but Eng Lit, Geog, RS and Politics is a combo i wish i did, it'll open so many damn doors to doing law. Don't drop Eng lit, its an academic subject, if you want to apply to top unis you'll need two(which you got with geog).

if you want to do law you MUST get As. so with econ there's a chance you might have a lot of workload, its risky imo. Stick with politics.
P.s DONT do A level Law its a joke

Ahaha don't worry our school doesn't even let us take Law at A level for just that reason :P , thank you so much for the advice, you've been a massive help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest