The Student Room Group

There is no such thing as 'islamophobia'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ODES_PDES
I think the correct term is not Islamophobic as this means fear of Islam. Maybe Islamohatic?
my choice would be, rather, "misoislamic" ( as in "misogynistic", "misanthropic" - relative to persons who hate women/humans)

however, the ambiguity goes much further : in my view, islamophobia (i.e. opposition to Islam) is perfectly OK, and even commendable

muslimophobia (opposition to muslims as persons), on the contrary, is a form of hateful discrimination, We should all be misomuslimophobic.
Original post by DorianGrayism
However, I am not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend that Muslims are not subject to unjust harassment due to a irrational fear of their religion.

A fear of the "religion" is not irrational.

Original post by saladays
Oh come on, it doesn't actually mean irrational fear.

I'm terrified of Christians - the Westboro Baptist Church seem like right fascist nutters. Pretty rational to dislike all Christians, right?

The WBC only protests funerals, islamists create them.
Well, that is obviously false .

If someone goes and tears a hjab off a persons head or fire bombs a mosque then I think it is safe to say that is "Islamophobic".

Now, there are plenty of criticisms of Islam to be made from the founder to the present day attitude of some to terrorism.

However, I am not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend that Muslims are not subject to unjust harassment due to a irrational fear of their religion.

That would not be Islamophobic. The attack was against a Muslim, and as a Muslim =/= Islam, no case could be made for that. At best it would "Muslimophobic" or anti-Muslim bigotry.
Original post by D00
No, -phobia means an irrational fear.

How can you have an irrational fear over an irrational religion?

Unless you're proposing 'islamophobes' get medical help you're not using the suffix in the clinical psychology context.

Why can't you have an irrational fear of a religion or religious group?
Reply 24
Original post by RayApparently
Unless you're proposing 'islamophobes' get medical help you're not using the suffix in the clinical psychology context.

Why can't you have an irrational fear of a religion or religious group?

Because religion doesn't require evidence to back its large claims.

My fear of religion is completely rational - I think it's human-made, human-invented, and used to control people and to dictate to others.
That's why I prefer the term anti-Muslim bigotry; no honest person can deny that's real.
Original post by D00
Because religion doesn't require evidence to back its large claims.

My fear of religion is completely rational - I think it's human-made, human-invented, and used to control people and to dictate to others.

I'm an atheist and don't/didn't deny the 'irrationality' of religion.

Your fear may be.
Islamophobia is real, it's just stupid. It means fear or hatred of Islam, but Islam like every other religion is just a set of ideas and opnions which people should be able to freely criticise.
Original post by ErniePicks
Islamophobia is real, it's just stupid. It means fear or hatred of Islam, but Islam like every other religion is just a set of ideas and opnions which people should be able to freely criticise.
well, if we criticise Islam, we oppose its blueprint for society, as well as the prospect of Islam ever getting a stronger say in how our societies are organised

so, why would it be stupid to fear Islam ? on the contrary, it may be a perfectly rational attitude, and even one to recommend

best
Well there is such a thing if it's in the dictionary. Lol.

And by definition, hating Muslims is both Islamophobic and anti-Muslim bigotry. Google it.

Spoiler

It's a real world and it most definately happens. Hate how people use the word out of content...
A lot of people think islamophobia is critising islam.
Original post by MildredMalone
A fear of the "religion" is not irrational.

No. I didn't say it was. I said it can be.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
That would not be Islamophobic. The attack was against a Muslim, and as a Muslim =/= Islam, no case could be made for that. At best it would "Muslimophobic" or anti-Muslim bigotry.

Ok and the commonly used word to describe "anti-Muslim bigotry" or an irrational fear of Muslims and etc is Islamophobia rather than "Muslimophobia"
Good post OP, but Jesus this comment section is a gutter of quackspeak. Sometimes you get good responses, other times you get all the people who seem to get their worldview from Buzzfeed and Mic.
No one should hate on Muslims (i.e. the practicing people) for making that choice but hate on and criticise Islam all you want (the ideology). Islamaphobia was probably poorly named I'd prefer anti-muslim. Hating Islam is not an actual issue.
Original post by 99_Problems
No one should hate on Muslims (i.e. the practicing people) for making that choice but hate on and criticise Islam all you want (the ideology). Islamaphobia was probably poorly named I'd prefer anti-muslim. Hating Islam is not an actual issue.

It's very murky territory. Many passages in the Quran go completely against western culture and values... For example 4.34...

It is very hard not to be scared of (/not like) people that support this passage, male or female.

So surely it is arguable that anti muslim bigotry (not acceptable) is more often than not just a manifestation of dislike of the religion itself (acceptable). ?
would you feel the same if I said there is no such thing as homophobia?
Original post by 1010marina
It's very murky territory. Many passages in the Quran go completely against western culture and values... For example 4.34...

It is very hard not to be scared of (/not like) people that support this passage, male or female.

So surely it is arguable that anti muslim bigotry (not acceptable) is more often than not just a manifestation of dislike of the religion itself (acceptable). ?

You would still assume all Muslims believe in the same thing and follow ine interpretation. There are some that view most of the Quran as metaphorical. So if you find a verse which says to kill the disbelievers some Muslims will agree with it which are fine to hate whilst others take a more moderate perspective.

Basically don't generalise.

If someone goes and tears a hjab off a persons head or fire bombs a mosque then I think it is safe to say that is "Islamophobic".

And when an Islamist goes and rips the head off of an incident 'infidel' what do we call them then?

Now, there are plenty of criticisms of Islam to be made from the founder to the present day attitude of some to terrorism.

It's nonsense. When Islamists commit horrific crimes people like to come out with the religion of peace nonsense, disassociate the warped lunatics from the religion but when they're the victims its because of their religion. What utter rubbish. The reality is it is to do with their religion in both cases. They commit horrific crimes in the name of a backward 7th century neanderthal religious ideology and the people with the ability to think for themselves on a logical and rational basis do not fear it, they despise it because of how backward it is.

Idiots in the modern world like to mix 'fear' with hatred of something. Yes, I hate an ideology that treats women as second class subhumans to fall in line. I hate an ideology that mutilates human beings before they're of age to give consent or because of their gender. I hate an ideology that thinks its okay to cut off the heads of innocents whilst shouting Allahu Akbar at people like primitive neanderthals from the year 700. I hate an ideology that thinks its only mission is expansionism and destruction of all non-believers in its path. I hate an ideology that has an utter contempt for modern civilisation and wants to undermine democracy and many of the things we embrace on a daily basis. There is nothing irrational about such a hatred. Its all logical and rational. Far more rational in fact than believing in some false God and that you'll go to a place called heaven if you listen to what he said. Yes, I had imaginary friends as well as a child. Guess what happened then? I ****ing grew up. Incredible stuff, isn't it?

All ideologies, be they political or religious, are nothing more than tools and control mechanisms to manipulate the vulnerable or make the stupid fall in line. Anyone defending such nonsense is just as bad as them as you are giving a free pass to this outdated and backward rubbish. Of course, politicians don't want that do they? Because the religious are some of the dumbest and most gullible people on the planet who believe things without evidence or facts.

Still waiting for Christians to enlighten me about how Noah's wonderful air conditioning system on the ark managed to keep all the polar bears nice and cold whilst all the camels nice and warm? What's that answer? God works in mysterious ways. Its time that the non-religious people started calling out the stupid religious zealots for what they are instead of pandering to their nonsensical fairytale crap that didn't even happen.

I'll probably be banned for the above post now because freedom of speech is not exactly something the religious like unless you're agreeing with their fanatical ********. Go ahead, you'll only be proving my point.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BasharAssad
would you feel the same if I said there is no such thing as homophobia?

Homosexuals are not going around beheading people because they follow some disturbing 7th century ideology now, are they? They get persecuted for acting upon nothing more than their natural instinct - something that actually exists.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending