5. Edinburgh
6. Sussex
7. SOAS
8. UCL
9. Durham
10. Newcastle
11. Imperial
12. Leeds

I'm quite surprised to see Sussex so high tbh, but really interesting!

So have unis like LSE, Warwick, Bristol, Manchester, York, Nottingham etc. not had >100 applications since 2013? I'm even more surprised by this.

No no, just not in the Top 30 for offer rates.

I'll dig out the offer rates for more UK unis asap...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Cobalt_
I dont really give out my uni as people would definitively find me aha.

However its an RG uni. Ill PM you if you want to know :biggrin:

I don't blame you, haha!
Original post by sarzed
Jumping into this thread! I'm applying for the American History MPhil, currently at Edinburgh Uni studying History and English (with a year abroad in the US) :smile:*

Glad I've found another history applicant! Does your year abroad count towards your overall classification? :smile:
Original post by Capricancer
Ah so for UK universities:
1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. St Andrews
4. KCL
5. Edinburgh
6. Sussex
7. SOAS
8. UCL
9. Durham
10. Newcastle
11. Imperial
12. Leeds

I'm quite surprised to see Sussex so high tbh, but really interesting!

So have unis like LSE, Warwick, Bristol, Manchester, York, Nottingham etc. not had >100 applications since 2013? I'm even more surprised by this.

To be honest, I don't quite trust this data. I know several people from my university apply each year to both Ox and Cam, and there is a steady flow of students from my current university, which is not listed in the stats, and this seems quite odd to me. :smile:
Original post by holly_1994
To be honest, I don't quite trust this data. I know several people from my university apply each year to both Ox and Cam, and there is a steady flow of students from my current university, which is not listed in the stats, and this seems quite odd to me. :smile:

This is raw data direct from Cambridge's admissions office themselves :tongue: can't get more trustworthy and reliable than that.

Or are you criticising @jneill's methodology?
This is raw data direct from Cambridge's admissions office themselves :tongue: can't get more trustworthy and reliable than that.

Oh, I didn't notice that :smile: It just seems a bit odd, esp. Sussex. Interesting though :smile:
Oh, I didn't notice that :smile: It just seems a bit odd, esp. Sussex. Interesting though :smile:

Yeh I thought so too.

Your uni will most likely be listed if you look at the source directly :smile:
Reply 27

QMUL had 230 applicants (from 2013 to 2016), 61 offers, 26.5% offer rate.

Ranking it 46th overall for offer success rate

:wink:
Original post by jneill
QMUL had 230 applicants (from 2013 to 2016), 61 offers, 26.5% offer rate.

Ranking it 46th overall for offer success rate

:wink:

Thanks!

I reckon it'd be really insightful if you created a table with data (uni, # of applicants, # of offers, offer rate) similar to that :biggrin:
Reply 29
Thanks!

I reckon it'd be really insightful if you created a table with data (uni, # of applicants, # of offers, offer rate) similar to that :biggrin:

I have it, but I don't know how to post it. Oh hold on, I could do a Google Sheet...

Please hold the line, caller.
Reply 30
Thanks!

Try this - just to be clear this only includes universities with 100 or more applicants since 2013.

http://bit.ly/CambridgeMastersUnis

I might make the full dataset available too - it includes courses and also breaks out the info by year (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016).

Also, I had to clean the original dataset from the FOI request. e.g. it had misspelled variants of uni names which made it almost unusable... and there might be some typos still there.
Reply 31
Here's the full dataset - enjoy... :smile:

http://bit.ly/CambridgeMastersCrozierData

NB. It's large, over 40,000 rows.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by jneill
Try this - just to be clear this only includes universities with 100 or more applicants since 2013.

http://bit.ly/CambridgeMastersUnis

I might make the full dataset available too - it includes courses and also breaks out the info by year (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016).

Also, I had to clean the original dataset from the FOI request. e.g. it had misspelled variants of uni names which made it almost unusable... and there might be some typos still there.

Thanks for the dataset & the FOI link. You must really be a statistician :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Nnamdi Chukwuogo
Thanks for the dataset & the FOI link. You must really be a statistician :smile:

I :heart: data :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by jneill
I :heart: data :smile:

Let me guess. You're applying to either Mathematical Tripos Part III or Mphil Economics :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by Nnamdi Chukwuogo
Let me guess. You're applying to either Mathematical Tripos Part III or Mphil Economics :smile:

No, haha. I wish...

I'm not an applicant. I'm a mere parent of a Cambridge undergrad. (I'm a CompSci myself.)

I'm also a mod in the undergrad forum so I occasionally direct people to this forum. I'll leave you all to it now (unless there's any Q's about the data, etc )

Enjoy, and good luck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by jneill
No, haha. I wish...

I'm not an applicant. I'm a mere parent of a Cambridge undergrad. (I'm a CompSci myself.)

Well thanks for the concern you've shown to us applicants. I really appreciate it. You're a real parent :smile:
Hi all, I'm applying to MPhil Innovation, Strategy and Organisation, previously University of Manchester (so not too worried about anonymity- there are lots of us!!) and leaving a Big 4 grad scheme to apply for postgrad study!

Emailed the administrator for my course the other day and they said they'd recommend sending a writing sample even though it's not listed on the website as they consider all documents they receive- may be worth checking with other departments.
Reply 38
Hello everyone!

I am considering applying for the MPhil in Modern British History, I am currently studying history at a RG uni :smile:
Reply 39
Glad I've found another history applicant! Does your year abroad count towards your overall classification? :smile:

no it doesn't :frown: but I'll be sending my transcript along with my ones from the UK since it shows my most recent work. :smile:*

To the history people- when/are you planning to approach potential dissertation supervisors? I'm thinking of waiting until around October when I've proposed my undergrad dissertation, so I'm slightly more practiced in trying to articulate my research interests...anyone have any thoughts/advice? :smile: *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending