The Student Room Group

Ask a Social Worker...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matty5787
Thank you for taking your free time to answer peoples varying questions. I have a place for september. I am looking forward to it but like so many others i'm keen to know how to prepare for my first year and what to expect (if you can remember)? As an access student i've worked intensively for a year to get to this point but im slighly worried of burning out to be honest so any advice greatly appreciated. Thankyou, matt

Hi Matt
It's difficult to say what you should expect because all courses are different in how they run and what topics they cover etc. I did the MA so we basically did the same course as the BA students but squished from three years down to two. So obviously all your deadlines are shorter and you get more scheduled lectures etc. On the MA you are also expected to be academically familiar with things like Harvard Referencing and finding relevant research to contribute to your assignments, whereas on the undergrad course they ease you into the academic style and you get more guidance initially. My course was very emotional for me - we spent a lot of time self-reflecting and talking about our practice and how we felt. I've had a lot of ups and downs through my life, like a lot of people, and they have ultimately lead me into the profession, so you can imagine how hard it is to re-live a lot of those difficult times. But I think those experiences have made me a better social worker, I can relate, genuinely, and be more empathetic. So, how to prepare? I think the best prep is to be ready for a rollercoaster. You will have times when you feel like crying because you're exhausted from writing essays late at night and times when you're buzzing because you've changed someone's life and you know the smile you see on their face will stay with you for the rest of your career. I won't lie, it's not easy, but it is an amazing personal journey and I felt so much pride by the end, I'd developed personally and professionally and you have to be as open and honest with yourself as you can, to get to that stage. The more of yourself you can give, the more you will get out of it! Having said that, burnout is a real problem in the profession. Your placements and juggling the course with work and social life etc are all good times to learn about burnout, learn about what you are good at, what you need help with, what you enjoy and what you don't. You learn about what your triggers are for stress and recognising the signs so you can deal with it as soon as possible. I can't tell you how to do that, it's different for everyone. I like to write and do reflections on how I'm feeling, when it's on a page, it's out of my head. Other people like to cry or eat chocolate or go for a run, you will find your own thing that works for you. Good luck :smile:
What are your thoughts on tattoos? Specifically, upper-arm fairly subtle ones? Would it be seen as inappropriate/ frowned upon for someone studying/practicing social work to have a visible tattoo?
Reply 22
hi are you a qualified social worker? I really want to study my degree in social work. when it comes to experience required to gain a place on the course will 4 years in early years be enough I am also a special education co-ordinator. I have worked with lots of multi agencies and have a NVQ level 3 in children and young peoples work force.
How do you feel about the fact that you'll never make more than 50k a year in your life?
50k is an abudancy of money.
Also your statement is false. Her Majesty's Inspectors can earn 64k plus benefits.

Most importantly although its essential to be paid fairly for the labour an individual does. Social work isn't meant to be for the money, its helping others.

My question is: which unis are the best for SW, Bath?
Can you speak more about career progression to? Im interested in the theoretic aspect, i lobe academia. Also, can you explain the role of a chief aocial worker and how you earn it?

Is there any career paths heavily based on social change ans/or law with social work?
Reply 26
Hi, I'm looking to start applying for a MA in social work in September / October time. I was just wondering can you be a social worker if you suffer from severe dizziness?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, thank you for starting this thread! I am starting my degree next month. I'm super nervous and excited at the same time. The past nine months I've gained a diploma in social science and humanities and my level 2 English and maths. It's been intense but I've finally got there! I'm just curious what to expect in my first year. I am studying at Birmingham City university. I also have 3 children ages 3,4,9 and I'm going to miss them like crazy haha. I know it will be worth it. It's the not knowing what to expect that is particularly daunting x
Hello,

I am a recently graduated MA Social Worker and I recently got offered a 3 month temp job with the Early Help team. Although not a Social Worker role per se I work closely with children centres and social workers. Furthermore, I got an interview for a permanent role with the Local Authority for their paralegal role with. Children Services. But I am a bit confused as to what to do. Quite different roles. I have a Law Degree at undergraduate level. My ultimate goal is to be a Family Court Advisor OR a Social Worker within a Fostering Team. I am not sure which job to take if I am offered the paralegal role.

Any thoughts?
Reply 29
Hi
I am after some advice really...
I am a mature student starting a social welfare degree in September this year but am hoping to do a postgraduate in Social Work afterwards..
Can someone advise me the way forward???
I've come across a company called Front Line who offer Social Work postgraduate programmes but is there any other way?
I'm currently studying at Staffordshire University and dont want to travel too far.
Hi All

Firstly thank you for starting this thread. I am also after advice. I am 44 work full time as a Pupil Support Manager and have worked with children for fifteen years. My job involves very close working with childrens social care. I have recently completed a flexible degree that took four years but gave me a first in Teaching Learning and Mentoring. I would love to become a social worker but my only problem is at 44 time is ticking and I have a huge mortgage that I have to meet the payments (along with other debt). Does anybody know any way of continuing to work in whatever job where you can also study to become a social worker. I do not mind finding a job that will suit but I have been surfing the net for months and the only opportunity appears to be Step Up. Does anybody know of anything else. I know its a bit ask as everybody would want to be paid whilst also studying!!
Reply 31
Hi!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated and greatly received....

I'm due to start my final year on a BA social work course. I'm starting to think about next year and would love to work with children and families and eventually child protection. That said, my experience is limited. I am due to start a placement in that area, which is great.

I feel my knowledge is limited and think I would really benefit from doing an MA in social work next year, giving me even more experience (2 further placements) and greater knowledge and understanding of practice, theory, reflection etc.

However, whenever I bring this up with people, specifically qualified social workers and professionals, I get the impression that it's unusual for someone who is a qualified social worker (as I hope to be next year) to do an MA in social work. I have considered working part time as a family support worker and doing the MA part-time.

Has anyone done both the BA and MA in social work?!?!

Thank you in Advance :-)
Hi i qualified in 2014 and wanted to work in LD.
i applied for every job going and ended up in youth offending (my placement was in children and families)
I loved it and within a year had climbed the ranks to senior prac and my organisation paid for my MA

my advice is start working and building your experience. u say u want child protection- u might find u enjoy older adults or another field more so get out into social work and see what's out there, learn the trade and then do courses- employers will support your development so why get into more debt ??

post graduate experience will get u the jobs and the seniority more than your credentials
Original post by jennaem15
What are your thoughts on tattoos? Specifically, upper-arm fairly subtle ones? Would it be seen as inappropriate/ frowned upon for someone studying/practicing social work to have a visible tattoo?

i have tattoos and rose up the ranks in social work quickly to managerial level
if u do good work then u can have the whole world tattooed on your body and it really wouldn't matter
Hi did you do ASYE?

I qualified in 2014 and was taken on as a NQSW in a statutory setting and they had no clue about ASYE. I rose the ranks and within a year had become a senior prac and still no one asked me for ASYE

I qualified in London and work in North London ....never had to do ASYE and progressed up the ranks without anyone wanting it
HI why don't not u get into work straight away- post qualifying experience counts more than additional credentials.
as a social worker i qualified in july, started working in august and within 10 months had progressed where my organisation paid for my MA

so my advice start working, get front line experience and see if your workplace will support your progression in the field

i started out wanting to work in adult social care and learning disabilities. three years on i am in domestic violence and families and i never thought i would be here doing this and loving every moment
Original post by SocialWorker
I'm a qualified Social Worker currently working in a generic adults team in the Midlands. I completed my MA Social Work in 2014 and have worked in a number of statutory teams with my local authority since then. I have also completed the ASYE (Assessed and Supported Year in Employment) and am now a Level 2, working towards Level 3.

Any questions you want to ask? I'll see what I can do to help :smile:

Hi,
I am starting a BA in social work in febuary, it has always been my dream to be a social worker and work with children/teenages.
I just wanted to know what to expect and what the job is like, also how difficult you found the degree to be and if everything was how you expected it to be.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 37
Hi,

I am hoping to enrol on a step up to social work graduate programme this year. I am a qualified primary teacher changing careers. How can i get some experience in social work?
Anybody heard anything about step up, they said to keep an eye on the website but still nothing :frown:
Original post by jennaem15

Not inappropriate at all! They are part of you, part of your personality. You are an individual and unique and you should own it! You can talk about why you got them, what they are, what they mean to you etc. I think it will help with relationship building to be honest as it will give you something to talk about 😊 Be positive and own your tats, you'll do great!

Quick Reply

Latest