The Student Room Group

Why is sexism against men largely ignored in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Proximo
Just to name a few, the 'lad culture' that exists which often sees women as sex objects, this is supported by the United Nations when they carried an investigation on violence against women and released a report showing that Britain had a severe problem with it and stated it had a 'boys' club sexist culture'

In the media for example the notorious page 3 of the Sun, polls conducted asking whether it should be removed found that 48% of males who voted said that it should be kept - you can't say that isn't a problem.

Then you have the gender pay gap and the fact that women undergo occupational segregation and are under represented in managerial roles.

There also rising numbers of groups promoting male superiority I forgot the name of it but there was a documentary recently following the leader of a male superiority group in the UK.

The list goes on. But I'll admit, it's no where near as bad as Middle Eastern countries, *cough* Saudi Arabia *cough*

Can you link the study? I'd love to be able to evaluate it! The quality of UN reports can vary greatly... I'm thinking of a recent incident where they had missing sources, sources which didn't support their point, and sources which were links to a file one someone's computer that nobody else could access. Plus it's always good to evaluate a study used as evidence in an argument.

Actually, I can. What do you think is wrong with men looking at an image of a naked woman? I haven't seen sufficient evidence to suggest it's a problem yet. I presume you think this objectifies women? Well show evidence that men looking at an image of a naked woman will cause them to treat women less as humans and more as objects.

Okay, why do you think the wage gap is down to sexism against women and not the other factors commonly brought up, such as choice of degree or choice to work less hours (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=58arQIr882w)? What occupational segregation are you specifically referring too, and why do you think sexism caused that rather than practical issues? Ditto with the managerial roles, prove this is caused by sexism and not personal choices or biological differences?

If you can, would you be able to find the name of the documentary or something else supporting your point, as I haven't heard much of male supremacist groups.

Lastly, and most importantly, why do you think issues for women make the issues I raised for men less significant? Can we not work towards ending sexism against both sexes? I wouldn't use the same points as you in talking about women's issues, but I acknowledge there are issues dispropprtionately affecting women. Why should we talk about those and not the issues disproportionately affecting men?
Reply 21
Original post by WoodyMKC
A larger portion of men tend not to be so easily offended in comparison to their female counterparts.

What do you mean by this? Would I be correct in saying you're trying to imply men tend to care less about the issues that face them, so are less likely to advocate ending these issues?
changing a societal idea takes a long long time (unless a major event takes place)

It took the women who originally fought for equality generations and generations to achieve their aim.

To reverse such an ingrained idea would take equally long. Hence why you still see feminists around trying to push the idea that women have it worst then men in western society, by reaching further and further to try and find inequality.

What started as a movement for marriage equality, equal opportunities in education, ability to vote, etc. all huge important issues, is now about what they term 'micro-argressions' tiny every-day aspects of life which dont go in their favour.

(To be honest, its a testament to our society that these are what women are now complaining about.)

The wage gap is an interesting one, as it very conveniently affirms our societal idea that women have it worse.. but actually for anyone who properly looks at it, it barely holds up to any scrutiny, and is a reasonably useless statistic that compares non-comparable positions and circumstances.

---

Point is, if you believe men now have it worse then women (there is a definite argument to be made that there are some real legal and discriminatory areas where they do (prison sentances, devorce courts etc) then you need to take action and be part of the slow change in societal beliefs that could happen, if men want it to. Personally I believe it already is, and more and more people are accepting the reality that men do face unique issues that need to be dealt with.. but its a slow process.
Reply 23
Original post by fallen_acorns
changing a societal idea takes a long long time (unless a major event takes place)

It took the women who originally fought for equality generations and generations to achieve their aim.

To reverse such an ingrained idea would take equally long. Hence why you still see feminists around trying to push the idea that women have it worst then men in western society, by reaching further and further to try and find inequality.

What started as a movement for marriage equality, equal opportunities in education, ability to vote, etc. all huge important issues, is now about what they term 'micro-argressions' tiny every-day aspects of life which dont go in their favour.

(To be honest, its a testament to our society that these are what women are now complaining about.)

The wage gap is an interesting one, as it very conveniently affirms our societal idea that women have it worse.. but actually for anyone who properly looks at it, it barely holds up to any scrutiny, and is a reasonably useless statistic that compares non-comparable positions and circumstances.

---

Point is, if you believe men now have it worse then women (there is a definite argument to be made that there are some real legal and discriminatory areas where they do (prison sentances, devorce courts etc) then you need to take action and be part of the slow change in societal beliefs that could happen, if men want it to. Personally I believe it already is, and more and more people are accepting the reality that men do face unique issues that need to be dealt with.. but its a slow process.

What a well writen reply! You make an excellent point, changing the majority position is a gradual process, and it was only decades ago that the majority accepted that women's rights are important. Hopefully Moscoivi's conversion theory and similar research into minority influence will help inform those campaigning for men's rights.
Lots of sexism against men, I was an activist/campaigner for fathers rights with Fathers4Justice, men are much less likely to get residence of the children than women and much more likely to have all contact stopped.
F4J campaigns against inequality against either parent (despite the name).
When I joined F4J all women had automatic parental responsibility whilst unmarried fathers had to apply to court in the hope of gaining parental responsibility. Still loads of gender bias in the 'secret family courts'

To answer your question as to why?
I don't really know, I guess it's some kind of positive descrimination, perhaps people are scared of being accused of sexism if it appears they might be favoring men over women, I guess men are less likely to claim sexism.
I'm pleased you are aware of the descrimination against men.
Both sexes suffer discrimination, which is obviously, all discrimination need to be addressed if we want to live in a society of equality
Reply 25
Original post by bigoliver
Lots of sexism against men, I was an activist/campaigner for fathers rights with Fathers4Justice, men are much less likely to get residence of the children than women and much more likely to have all contact stopped.
F4J campaigns against inequality against either parent (despite the name).
When I joined F4J all women had automatic parental responsibility whilst unmarried fathers had to apply to court in the hope of gaining parental responsibility. Still loads of gender bias in the 'secret family courts'

To answer your question as to why?
I don't really know, I guess it's some kind of positive descrimination, perhaps people are scared of being accused of sexism if it appears they might be favoring men over women, I guess men are less likely to claim sexism.
I'm pleased you are aware of the descrimination against men.
Both sexes suffer discrimination, which is obviously, all discrimination need to be addressed if we want to live in a society of equality

How did you get into campaigning for fathers rights, if you don't mind me asking? I'd be interested in campaigning for that sort of thing since men's rights issues seem to be in great need for more support, however I'm not really sure how you start getting involved in activism.

Yes, since people aren't greatly aware of the issues men face I can see why they might leap to the presumption that when trying to improve things for men one is being sexist. It's a shame, but hopefully if we spread awareness people will accept the need to combat sexism against men? Then we can come closer to that "society of equality," which is important for everyone.
Original post by Darelz
How did you get into campaigning for fathers rights, if you don't mind me asking? I'd be interested in campaigning for that sort of thing since men's rights issues seem to be in great need for more support, however I'm not really sure how you start getting involved in activism.

Yes, since people aren't greatly aware of the issues men face I can see why they might leap to the presumption that when trying to improve things for men one is being sexist. It's a shame, but hopefully if we spread awareness people will accept the need to combat sexism against men? Then we can come closer to that "society of equality," which is important for everyone.

I subscribed the group and had access to the groups forum (which used to be Yahoo Groups), F4J then did a demo in York which I attended and met the founder Matt O'Connor I told him s little about my case and said if be interested in protesting. I did a few demonstrations and unsuccessfully tried 2 high profile publicity stunts.

2065809069_59a32b1e02_m.jpg

I think all demonstrations are now posted on the official F4J Facebook page.
I guess just be active on the page and attend any demos.
Most demos take place in or around London, so it's easier if you live that way.
The strongest motivator is when you are denied access to your child like what happened to me, I missed 18 months of my son's life whilst he was a toddler.
I found out this was to cover abuse and after years of court cases I gained residence of him at the age of 9. He is now 13yo and he is happy and doing well at school, is turned out well in the end for me, but I had a rough 6 years.
Reply 27
Original post by Darelz
What do you mean by this? Would I be correct in saying you're trying to imply men tend to care less about the issues that face them, so are less likely to advocate ending these issues?

One thing to perhaps note is tied in to my first post on the previous page: women have more in-group bias than men (http://www.apa.org/monitor/dec04/women.aspx) and so perhaps they are more likely to derive more of their identity/sense of self-esteem from their gender. This would explain why women are more liable to see any particular obstacles facing them or any particular slights against them (real or imagined..) as a slight against women in general, and hence label it sexism. (Note this is all about automatic responses, and is only based on averages; of course I am very aware that there are many women reasonable enough not do this..) Perhaps we could argue that men in contrast simply see issues facing them as issues facing them, and issues facing men as issues facing those individual men, and don't tend to collectivise as much. Additionally what Woody said would seem, anecdotally, to just be obvious at face value, though I don't exactly know why. There are women who will be utterly offended by a simple compliment, but pretty much all men will take being "objectified" as a compliment in and of itself. Additionally men seem to take gender-based jokes against them more in their stride (so many comedies feature a bumbling fool or a Narcissistic man-child as the "patriarch") on average.
Reply 28
Original post by bigoliver
I subscribed the group and had access to the groups forum (which used to be Yahoo Groups), F4J then did a demo in York which I attended and met the founder Matt O'Connor I told him s little about my case and said if be interested in protesting. I did a few demonstrations and unsuccessfully tried 2 high profile publicity stunts.

2065809069_59a32b1e02_m.jpg

I think all demonstrations are now posted on the official F4J Facebook page.
I guess just be active on the page and attend any demos.
Most demos take place in or around London, so it's easier if you live that way.
The strongest motivator is when you are denied access to your child like what happened to me, I missed 18 months of my son's life whilst he was a toddler.
I found out this was to cover abuse and after years of court cases I gained residence of him at the age of 9. He is now 13yo and he is happy and doing well at school, is turned out well in the end for me, but I had a rough 6 years.

I'm sorry you had to go through that with your son, it must have been horrific being seperated from your child like that. I'm glad things have ended well for you and your son at last.

I'll definitely check the Facebook group out at some point. I live in rural area right now so going to demonstrations is difficult, but hopefully once I go to uni I'll be able to become more involved.
Original post by Darelz

Pretty much.
Because men are the expendable gender. Their problems don't count.
Reply 31
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Because men are the expendable gender. Their problems don't count.

Sad thing is that some people legitimately believe this.
Original post by george_c00per
Lad: "Men have a higher suicide rate and suffer from more depression on average than females, this proves that male sexism is alive and well as males are looked down upon for telling someone about their mental health as it doesn't fit the masculine expectations."
two minutes later
Same Lad: "Get a grip you pussy, grow some balls and stop acting like a woman"

LaD CuLtuRe!!!!!!!!

(Not saying this is the only reason why male sexism is ignored in the UK as a whole but I find it rather ironic lol)

Woman: I want to be free to sleep with whoever I want and not feel judged by others
Same woman: she's such a slut!

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was this guy who spent his own money and time to create, support and fund a place for male victims of rape. But they were shut down and he killed himself. There are almost no safe houses for male victims yet thousands for females.

http://www.avoiceformen.com/mens-rights/activism/domestic-violence-awareness-month-the-invisible-victims/
(edited 7 years ago)
When feminazis say that more women are killed by men in domestic attacks then men killed by women they seem to ignore the fact that men are biologically stronger so it would be easier and more frequent. Just because a guy isn't killed by a women's domestic attack doesn't mean they're not hurt as much or more.

Feminazis always seem to forget biology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending