The Student Room Group

Art and Graphics design

So, what do you do at A levels for Art and what do you do at A levels for graphics? And please explain more than just "drawing" :smile:

For art do you have to stare at random artist and try to explain why they decided to use circles and stuff?

Please explain in depth as i want to do architecture and it it seems that art is preferred over graphics, but i currently have some bad impressions (possibly misconceptions) of art i wish to rid of.

What is the difficulty of both subjects?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Stormz1
So, what do you do at A levels for Art and what do you do at A levels for graphics? And please explain more than just "drawing" :smile:

For art do you have to stare at random artist and try to explain why they decided to use circles and stuff?

Please explain in depth as i want to do architecture and it it seems that art is preferred over graphics, but i currently have some bad impressions (possibly misconceptions) of art i wish to rid of.

Thanks in advance

I did Art (but not Graphics) at GCSE, and personally I think Graphics would be more useful for Architecture.

The process of an Art project went like this for us:
- Pick a project theme and do initial research, gather photos and objects related to it
- Initial sketches/ paintings/ sculptures/ whatever of the photos and objects
- Gather pieces done by other artists related to your theme and do written analysis (why they picked to use a circle and what the circle means) and visual analysis (copy their art)
- Development of your own photos/objects using the artists as inspiration (e.g. same colour scheme, media, style)
- Develop one of those into a larger final piece

Art isn't particularly 'difficult' as such, but it is very very time consuming and stressful if you're not on top of it

Hope this helps :h:
Original post by Stormz1

Thanks in advance

You could try looking around our Architecture forum - there are lots of posts about which qualifications to do there :h:

Quick Reply

Latest