The Student Room Group

I need advice on what to do: Stay in London vs go and work in Barcelona - Spain -

Hi everyone!

I have been living and working in the UK - London - for the last three years. Since I have landed in London I have been working in the IT sector.

My previous company made me redundant and I have been out of work since last February. I got lots of interviews but for one reason or another they will never give me any contract. There have been happening very weird things through this job hunting.

Thing is that a company in Barcelona got interested in my profile and after myself going to their offices they decided that they want to hire me - JOY - .

After looking for rooms and flats in Barcelona I am getting dissapointed due to the conditions and how crappy does look some of those places. I am comfortable in London. I got everything I need very close to where I am living - I live in a big house with more people -

Since I have been out of work I have been claiming UK Gov Help to keep me going in my search. This is help might come to an end sooner than later.

Because the idea of going to Barcelona is not that appealing to my likes, do you think guys that it would be way better for myself to stay in London??????

I don´t really know what to do. I need some advice.

Regards,
Denzel

Scroll to see replies

Go to Barcelona. The longer a gap on your cv the harder it will be to get back in to work, particularly in a tech industry like IT.

Where did you move to London from?
Have you actually visited Barcelona in person?
Reply 3
Personally, I would give Barcelona a chance. It sounds like a great opportunity. You will soon make friends and better living arrangements will become apparent.
Reply 4
Original post by Duncan2012
Go to Barcelona. The longer a gap on your cv the harder it will be to get back in to work, particularly in a tech industry like IT.

Where did you move to London from?

Hi Duncan,

I am Spanish. I applied for a sofware engineer position in Barcelona cause was refered by a friend in his company.

Well. Right now when I am contacted by recruiters I always say that I was made redundant two months after the actual current date. Otherwise they will lead to more questions...etc.

Thing is that I like stay in London even though I have to share with lots of people and my room is very tiny.

That company in Barcelona is a place where you can talk in English in meetings - something that I like since I want to improve my english´s skills - .

If I go to Barcelona I would do it for a two years maximum, and then back to London.

But, that company is giving me like 6 months probationary period. I would be moving to another country just for a job, that´s why I am doubting myself a lot.

It is true, the longer you are out of IT the worse it is since your skills start to dramatically go down.
Reply 5
Original post by Moonstruck16
Have you actually visited Barcelona in person?

Yes I did. The day of the interview. They payed me flights for me to going there and have the face2face.
Reply 6
Might as well go and see what it is life ; will be ah interesting experience surely
Original post by Denzel Hayes
Yes I did. The day of the interview. They payed me flights for me to going there and have the face2face.

Yeah but did you get to spend time in Barcelona, seeing the sights etc?

I would give Barcelona a chance, I mean, you have nothing going on here so you may as well go, see what life is really like there. Even if you really can't stand it there, you'll have more work under your belt plus a new eperience.
Hi Duncan,

I am Spanish. I applied for a sofware engineer position in Barcelona cause was refered by a friend in his company.

Well. Right now when I am contacted by recruiters I always say that I was made redundant two months after the actual current date. Otherwise they will lead to more questions...etc.

Thing is that I like stay in London even though I have to share with lots of people and my room is very tiny.

That company in Barcelona is a place where you can talk in English in meetings - something that I like since I want to improve my english´s skills - .

If I go to Barcelona I would do it for a two years maximum, and then back to London.

But, that company is giving me like 6 months probationary period. I would be moving to another country just for a job, that´s why I am doubting myself a lot.

It is true, the longer you are out of IT the worse it is since your skills start to dramatically go down.

If I was in your position I think it would be an easy choice. It's better to have a job than not. I've taken jobs I haven't really wanted and moved places just for work. Just remember that nothing is forever and you can always move back to London if you don't like the Barcelona job after a few months. Buena suerte!
Reply 9
The thing is that I am Spanish. I know what it is like the spanish way of life. I am not saying that I don´t like neither, but after three years living in the UK my english has improved a lot and I would like it to keep in the same way.

That company is an international company, but I am sure that I will end up talking Spanish non-stop and I have got in mind to come back after one of two years in there - if I finally decide to go there - .

Salaries are better in here. In London. But here the competency is very strong. I guess that professional experience in Barcelona will give a big boost to my CV and then I will get better jobs in London for sure.

... DECISIONS ARE KILLING ME.
Yeah but did you get to spend time in Barcelona, seeing the sights etc?

I would give Barcelona a chance, I mean, you have nothing going on here so you may as well go, see what life is really like there. Even if you really can't stand it there, you'll have more work under your belt plus a new eperience.

No. i have not spent time sightseeing or visiting "la sagrada familia" ... etc. My visit to the city was exclusively to do the interview that day. full stop.

But the feeling I got from the city was ... more stressful than the one that give me the central line at peak hours. It is weird tough.

But yes. Right now I have got nothing going on in here, and I might have to move there. I guess.
If you're claiming benefits from being out of work and they find out you turned down a job offer those benefits could stop.

Go to Barcelona.
Original post by Drewski
If you're claiming benefits from being out of work and they find out you turned down a job offer those benefits could stop.

Go to Barcelona.

Those benefits are coming to an end, I am afraid.
Those benefits are coming to an end, I am afraid.

All the more reason to go to where the work is.
Original post by Drewski
All the more reason to go to where the work is.

Ok.

I am also afraid that in their contract they stated that there is a 6 months probationary period. 6?!!?!??!?!? Here in the UK is maximum 3!!!?

I sort of like the "freedom" that you get when living in these big houses in London where you pretty much do what you want.

But yes, leaving those childish reasons aside, I guess is a non-brainer.

Well. Also my poor english won´t improve that much while staying there at Barcelona. I really like the way everything is done here in the UK, so therefore I have been thinking of make like I have not gotten anything and keep looking in here...
I think you should go for it! What have you got to lose? It'll give you some work experience and even if you don't like it, at least you have given it a shot.
Original post by DanielleT192
I think you should go for it! What have you got to lose? It'll give you some work experience and even if you don't like it, at least you have given it a shot.

I would lose my room in East London, 5 min away from central line, Asdas... etc xD

I know I know. I have gotten comfortable in here and I am refusing to leave my comfort zone...
Everyone is telling you to go but you keep fighting against it with this reason or that so I would say your decision is already made in your head to stay in London.

When do the benefits come to an end? Can your family help out money-wise or do you have any savings? Perhaps try to find work across the whole of the UK rather than just London, it will be easier to return to London if you stay in the UK and you will continue speaking English.

What else do you want to hear??

Posted from TSR Mobile
What else do you want to hear??

Posted from TSR Mobile

dunno

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending