The Student Room Group

FP2: Roots of Unity

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1468765733.784048.jpg if this is true for when Z^n=1 then why, for z^10=1, does k= +/-1,+/-2,+/-3, +/-4 and 5? I have the general solution as cos kpi/5+isin kpi/5. I would be grateful for any explanation😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mr Pussyfoot
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1468765733.784048.jpg if this is true for when Z^n=1 then why, for z^10=1, does k= +/-1,+/-2,+/-3, +/-4 and 5? I have general solution as cos kpi/5+isin kpi/5. I would be grateful for any explanation😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those values of k are the principal solutions
Reply 2
Original post by Protoxylic
Those values of k are the principal solutions

So wouldn't the solutions be all the numbers -1<k<10?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can either have all the values of k for which the the solutions have argument (0,2pi) or (-pi,pi) these tend to be the principal domains. Technically any domain with period 2pi, but the principal tends to be the above two.
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are, remember that the -1 and n-1 solutions are the same as they differ by 2*pi. With -2 and n-2, -3 and n-3 being the same as well etc.
Reply 5
By principal do you mean between 0 and 2pi? Sorry I hadn't read the previous posts. Ignore this😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Protoxylic
You can either have all the values of k for which the the solutions have argument (0,2pi) or (-pi,pi) these tend to be the principal domains.

All right cool I understand now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by CharlieGEM
They are, remember that the -1 and n-1 solutions are the same as they differ by 2*pi. With -2 and n-2, -3 and n-3 being the same as well etc.

Thanks for the reminder, I hadn't spotted the relation at first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest