The Student Room Group

Islam and the fast-changing environment of 21st century Earth

Muslims, you claim to follow one single book, called the Quran. Why this book? Why not the Torah? The Bible? Old Norse gods? Roman gods? Helll, why not the Flying Spagetti Monster?

Oh, that's right. It's because out of matter of pure accident - you were born to Muslim parents.

Yes, you were probably indoctrinated into Islam as soon as you came out of your mother's womb.

Now, as you grow older, you might think to yourself that being a Muslim is only a label, and not really part of who you are - it's something that doesn't exist. It's a religion. An ideology. A set of beliefs. It's imaginary, it's a collection of human made thoughts and emotions smashed together to form a religion, a life-code or something like that.

Suppose you want to "leave" Islam. But can you? You're then labelled an "apostate" by those surrounding you. It's the perfect 1984, authoritarian, Big Brother cellestial dictatorship which keeps you in check and never let's you leave.

And why can't you leave it? Why do you have this dreadful title imposed upon you, like some outcasted filth, if you want to leave?

Well, it's simple. It stems from the founder(s) of the religion. It's about power. Control. Telling people what to do. At these times, when the Abrahamic religions were forming more than a thousand years ago, life was very uncertain for most people. People lived in tribes in harsh environments - they needed law, order and stability.

Fast forward to modern times, with the advent of science, social media, education - and people are now starting to mix with other people from across the globe, there is simply no need for religion.

And there is simply no need for a religion like Islam, which tells its adherents what to do. You can't drink alcohol (why not?). You can't eat pork (why not?). Leavers are apostates (why???), non-belivers are called infidels (why??)

Don't you hear the hatred? It REEKS of man-made material. It STINKS of it.

What're you thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well. This is original...
The same arguments you've mustered could be put against all religions. Why the focus on Islam? Is it because of terrorists? Well guess what, almost 300 people died in Baghdad, majorly Muslims, in the recent terrorist attack - so stop collectivising Islam as terrorists when quite clearly its a small amount of them who want to inflict harm on others. I bring this up because you would not cry about Islam if no terrorists act supposedly in its name.
Is it bad that one of my dreams is to get through tsr for a day without seeing an Islam thread?
Isn't this like your 4000th thread on Islam today? :tongue:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Is it bad that one of my dreams is to get through tsr for a day without seeing an Islam thread?

Now that the Brexit rants have died down it's back to normal.:rolleyes:
Original post by JamesN88
Now that the Brexit rants have died down it's back to normal.:rolleyes:

FredorJohn is still at it sadly.
Great another Islamaphobic person :facepalm: I'm so sick and tired of these threads :getmecoat:
Reply 10
Original post by mr T 999
Great another Islamaphobic person :facepalm: I'm so sick and tired of these threads :getmecoat:

'Islamophobic' means an 'irrational fear' of Islam.

My fear isn't irrational, friend. I have well-reasoned arguments as to why I fear organised religion.
Reply 11
You are correct but sadly telling people this truth doesn't tend to achieve anything
Reply 12
Original post by JohnGreek
Perfectly true, even though the professional victims will cry islamophobia to no avail.

This applies itself to most faiths by the way.

Oh, it does. But I have purposely singled out Islam because it's adherents are generally more conservative than other religions in the UK.
Original post by D00
'Islamophobic' means an 'irrational fear' of Islam.

My fear isn't irrational, friend. I have well-reasoned arguments as to why I fear organised religion.

Your nothing but a little ignorant boy :spank:
Reply 14
Your nothing but a little ignorant boy :spank:

Seems like you don't enjoy people with differing opinions to yours.
Original post by D00
Seems like you don't enjoy people with differing opinions to yours.

I can say the same thing to you :wink:
Reply 16
anotheronelol.JPG
Reply 17
I can say the same thing to you :wink:

I dislike illogical, irrational positions in life. Religion that espouses homophobia and sexism is not a good thing to defend, by the way.
Original post by D00
Muslims, you claim to follow one single book, called the Quran. Why this book? Why not the Torah? The Bible? Old Norse gods? Roman gods? Helll, why not the Flying Spagetti Monster?

Oh, that's right. It's because out of matter of pure accident - you were born to Muslim parents.

Yes, you were probably indoctrinated into Islam as soon as you came out of your mother's womb.

Now, as you grow older, you might think to yourself that being a Muslim is only a label, and not really part of who you are - it's something that doesn't exist. It's a religion. An ideology. A set of beliefs. It's imaginary, it's a collection of human made thoughts and emotions smashed together to form a religion, a life-code or something like that.

Suppose you want to "leave" Islam. But can you? You're then labelled an "apostate" by those surrounding you. It's the perfect 1984, authoritarian, Big Brother cellestial dictatorship which keeps you in check and never let's you leave.

And why can't you leave it? Why do you have this dreadful title imposed upon you, like some outcasted filth, if you want to leave?

Well, it's simple. It stems from the founder(s) of the religion. It's about power. Control. Telling people what to do. At these times, when the Abrahamic religions were forming more than a thousand years ago, life was very uncertain for most people. People lived in tribes in harsh environments - they needed law, order and stability.

Fast forward to modern times, with the advent of science, social media, education - and people are now starting to mix with other people from across the globe, there is simply no need for religion.

And there is simply no need for a religion like Islam, which tells its adherents what to do. You can't drink alcohol (why not?). You can't eat pork (why not?). Leavers are apostates (why???), non-belivers are called infidels (why??)

Don't you hear the hatred? It REEKS of man-made material. It STINKS of it.

What're you thoughts?

Exactly, the apostate thing is funny cos there's simply no room even for you to leave Islam and then come back, once you've left that's it, so it makes the decision to doubt extremely difficult and it makes you think, if God was the truth he wouldn't need to control you from leaving, cos truth doesn't need strict defenses to keep you there

The law and order thing is a deeper insight than people realise, the evolution of human psychological development has many stages seen throughout history both on a societal and individual level. Law and order is one of these stages, the mechanisms humans used were family and community structures and religion is a big organised form of it which is why there's so much moralising, reward and punishment talk involved. Why do people think all the major religions were constructed during those times, the West has moved beyond that stage which is why it's becoming more atheistic
I wasn't born to Muslim parents but I chose to become one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending