The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Oh God my UKCAT is way too soon.
It's on Wednesday, and I don't feel prepared at all. I haven't even done a full mock yet...
Is it just me or are the ISC 1000Q QR sections a bit TOOOOOOOO time consuming/hard? I can do the medify ones with relative ease but the ISC.....damn
Hey guys
So my UKCAT is this friday, hoping for a good score (who isnt)
So my question is, what to do the day BEFORE the exam? Should I practice some questions? Should I not practice at all? Whats the scene?

Over the next 4 days, Ill take 3 mocks (ISC, Kaplan and on the UKCAT website) and do some Medify drills for my weaker sections. But thats about it. Is this fine ?

On mocks, my avvg score is around 630-670ish. Total score is in the 7-9 deciles
Is my POA fine?

Please help @uniadmissions @themedicportal

Thanks
Hey guysSo my UKCAT is this friday, hoping for a good score (who isnt)So my question is, what to do the day BEFORE the exam? Should I practice some questions? Should I not practice at all? Whats the scene?Over the next 4 days, Ill take 3 mocks (ISC, Kaplan and on the UKCAT website) and do some Medify drills for my weaker sections. But thats about it. Is this fine ?On mocks, my avvg score is around 630-670ish. Total score is in the 7-9 decilesIs my POA fine?Please help @uniadmissions @themedicportalThanks
Original post by dakshsaksena
Is it just me or are the ISC 1000Q QR sections a bit TOOOOOOOO time consuming/hard? I can do the medify ones with relative ease but the ISC.....damn

The ISC book is very difficult.
I'd say that both AR and QR are way more difficult than they will be in the actual thing (I hope :lol: ) In that AR has many different, complicated, patterns for each relationship, and QR is just very time consuming, and sometimes the questions are just extremely vague (that may just be me though...)
Theres no right answer.
I would presonally go over a bit of everything the day before. Not too much not too little, avoid panicing and relax.
Go in calm and with a clear mind. And make sure everything is ready the night before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kosvengali
Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone have tips for the abstract reasoning??? I'm struggling here

Write down EVERY rule that you come across because more often than not they get repeated.
Reply 647
I just did my UKCAT on 16/07............. questions were very difficult. The level of difficulty was much more than any of the practice questions i had been doing including Kaplans UKCAT Plus. I just managed 1850/2700 with band 3 in STJ.

Any new sas to how other are doing in the UKCAT of 2016.?
Have my UKCAT scheduled for late September. Going to work on my QR and VR skills up until mid August and do the other subtests.
Original post by Gogregg
Oh God my UKCAT is way too soon.
It's on Wednesday, and I don't feel prepared at all. I haven't even done a full mock yet...

I have mine on Tuesday and I feel exactly the same. Thought I'd do a mock today, and realised they have mini mocks for each section on medify. NOT good. And now I'm starting to panic and I know I'll fail miserably :frown:
Original post by Joanne86
I have mine on Tuesday and I feel exactly the same. Thought I'd do a mock today, and realised they have mini mocks for each section on medify. NOT good. And now I'm starting to panic and I know I'll fail miserably :frown:

We'll be fine!
Or, at least, I hope :afraid:
And remember, we only need an average score, not an amazing one :h:
Original post by medicapplicant
Mines on the 10th of august, i know i did the kaplan book which was fair tbh i found verbal challenging in that book, moved to isc 1000q abstract reasoning was quite hard in that one and some quantitative reasoning q's now im on medify which has alright abstract reasoning questions but the quantitative questions are so long there are now easy questions where you literally read something of the graph they all require calculations (atleast the ones ive come across) i havent started their verbal reasoning questions yet hope theyre alright.

Yeah abstract is alright. Verbal isn't toooooo bad some passages are great just others are really complicated and you can't find key words takes too long scanning for then
Reply 652
Original post by mssg
I just did my UKCAT on 16/07............. questions were very difficult. The level of difficulty was much more than any of the practice questions i had been doing including Kaplans UKCAT Plus. I just managed 1850/2700 with band 3 in STJ.

normally someone eventually makes a poll for people to put down their ukcat score. but there is this forum in the mean time:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4199733

your score was 1850 for all sections conbined? so average of 617?...

Sorry to hear that, have you considered looking at the BMAT since your ukcat may make it difficult for ukcat schools? What prep did you do? just the kaplan book? did you use the 1000Q book or medify? If you had used the 1000Q book, you'd have found the actual test questions much easier... if you ever redo the ukcat, you should check out medify
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 653
Original post by dakshsaksena
Hey guysSo my UKCAT is this friday, hoping for a good score (who isnt)So my question is, what to do the day BEFORE the exam? Should I practice some questions? Should I not practice at all? Whats the scene?Over the next 4 days, Ill take 3 mocks (ISC, Kaplan and on the UKCAT website) and do some Medify drills for my weaker sections. But thats about it. Is this fine ?On mocks, my avvg score is around 630-670ish. Total score is in the 7-9 decilesIs my POA fine?Please help @uniadmissions @themedicportalThanks

I say just do mocks + medify. The actual ukcat test will probably be slightly easier than the "official practise tests" and around the level of medify medium test (ish). On the last day just do some practise and chill, panic gets you nowhere.
Original post by UKCATrocks
But make sure you get the 1000q, i.e. the updated version of the 600q with the new style questions.

Doing a good job for 1000 q book, aye ?
I would recommend master UKCAT or 1200 q book.
Original post by Yammy
I say just do mocks + medify. The actual ukcat test will probably be slightly easier than the "official practise tests" and around the level of medify medium test (ish). On the last day just do some practise and chill, panic gets you nowhere.

Continue to practice until 48 hour before. Chill and watch a film (there are few out there). Sleep early the night before the test.
Reply 656
Original post by UKCATmagic
Continue to practice until 48 hour before. Chill and watch a film (there are few out there). Sleep early the night before the test.

lol why u quoting me? :smile:
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Have my UKCAT scheduled for late September. Going to work on my QR and VR skills up until mid August and do the other subtests.

I have rescheduled for mid August. I am doing ok so far. worry but that is normal. Going on a course is helpful if one can interact with tutor and they respond. Otherwise a waste of time. I gained ao much from the course.

Update
Unable to reschedule: do stuck with old date
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UKCATrocks
Yes I agree. Plus there are so many sections to the UKCAT that in one day you will barely do much on each section. That then means the most effective courses would be the longer ones but then they will cost a fortune.

A good course does not need to be a long one. I just went on a course. I could ask the tutors anything I wanted to. I was not discouraged and I did not feel I was ignorant or a complete fool. No time wasted on doing what I can do at home. I came home with lots of skill and tricks. My mock before is so good now that I felt if I delayed taking the exam, I might lose momentum. I am taking exam early
Original post by mssg

Your best bet will be to avoid UKCAT heavy unis. Places like Cardiff are less UKCAT heavy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending