The Student Room Group

University at 24 or 25?

I'm going back to uni and will be doing an Access course or more A levels.

How easy is it to fit in in your mid 20s? Should I stay in halls?
Original post by JeremyHunt
I'm going back to uni and will be doing an Access course or more A levels.

How easy is it to fit in in your mid 20s? Should I stay in halls?

Hi :smile:

I went back to uni at 27 after doing an access course, and went into halls because it was just the most reasonable choice in terms of cost and meeting new people. Didn't have a problem with intergration at all. During the accommodation application process they asked if I had a preference for age groups I lived with, and I ended up in a flat of people in their early 20s, so it was pretty good.

The only way being in your mid 20s would be a problem is if you choose to make it one - anyone who has strong opinions on your age isn't worth your time anyway. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lledrith

I went back to uni at 27 after doing an access course, and went into halls because it was just the most reasonable choice in terms of cost and meeting new people. Didn't have a problem with intergration at all. During the accommodation application process they asked if I had a preference for age groups I lived with, and I ended up in a flat of people in their early 20s, so it was pretty good.

The only way being in your mid 20s would be a problem is if you choose to make it one - anyone who has strong opinions on your age isn't worth your time anyway. :smile:

Thanks :smile: Did you get on with the 18 to 19 year olds too? what uni? :colondollar:
Thanks :smile: Did you get on with the 18 to 19 year olds too? what uni? :colondollar:

Yeah, currently on placement with school-leaver students and get along great. :smile:

This would be Exeter. :smile:
Reply 4
Yeah, currently on placement with school-leaver students and get along great. :smile:

This would be Exeter. :smile:

I was thinking of applying as my uncle lives there so I've been a lot :smile:

Did people mention your age at all? Im worried :beard:
I was thinking of applying as my uncle lives there so I've been a lot :smile:

Did people mention your age at all? Im worried :beard:

I've only had one (creepy) person persistantly bring up my age, and frankly their obsession with it made me think they weren't really worth talking to anyway.

"How does it feel being an older woman on campus?" ..Just the same as it feels to be any other human on campus, bye now! :biggrin:

People will mention it, but what's the point in worrying about it? We're both still pretty young in the grand scheme of things - people who struggle to interact with students who aren't also school leavers are the ones with growing up to do, just be friendly. :smile:
Reply 6
I've only had one (creepy) person persistantly bring up my age, and frankly their obsession with it made me think they weren't really worth talking to anyway.

"How does it feel being an older woman on campus?" ..Just the same as it feels to be any other human on campus, bye now! :biggrin:

People will mention it, but what's the point in worrying about it? We're both still pretty young in the grand scheme of things - people who struggle to interact with students who aren't also school leavers are the ones with growing up to do, just be friendly. :smile:

Was it a guy? :colondollar: Doesnt sound worth it, you're right! :biggrin:

Thats true :smile: :yep:
Was it a guy? :colondollar: Doesnt sound worth it, you're right! :biggrin:

Thats true :smile: :yep:

Yeah. :smile:

Was just tempted to be all lol you're right, once you hit 21 you should just accept your fate and do the same thing forever~

Best of luck to you. :smile:
Reply 8
Yeah. :smile:

Was just tempted to be all lol you're right, once you hit 21 you should just accept your fate and do the same thing forever~

Best of luck to you. :smile:

Thank you :smile: You too, v encouraging post :smile:
Reply 9
I went to uni when I was 28. Fit right in and I wasn't the oldest. Life experience in uni is a great asset.
Reply 10

Basically what she has said. Congratulations in getting into an awesome university. That guy sounds like an idiot lol or maybe he is socially awkward.
Reply 11
I was 32 when I started uni, I lived in halls and got along with everyone, as I was quite shy and worried about my age I kept myself to myself mostly. Which in hindsight was a bit silly, I did make friends on my course and the vast majority of people didn't care or notice my age. I've just graduated at 35 with a number of close friends who are now 21. Like another poster I've had the oddball be obsessed with my age, I think more they didn't realise I was quite a bit older than them, and I think because they hadn't mixed with people in their 30s before other than interacting with teachers/parents they didn't know how to handle the situation. That's more their learning curve than mine!
I'm 68 and just finished my first year at uni. My age was remarked on but not in a a negative way and I'm student rep on my course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending