The Student Room Group

maths degree + doubts

So I should be off to do a maths degree in septmeber but i can't help but think I'm gonna hate it. I liked Alevel maths cause it was easy to revise but uni maths is gonna be different and i fear i feel just be so behind and feel like dropping out/ swapping courses. I should be going to a good russel group but i haven't even done further maths since year 12 and I'm terrible at mechanics and hate physics and idk i only like some bits of maths.

any advice ?

Scroll to see replies

My advice is give it a chance. If you find that you are not enjoying it or finding it far too difficult then perhaps swap course. Don't drop out of university all together. Just make sure you have given it a good go.
Reply 2
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
My advice is give it a chance. If you find that you are not enjoying it or finding it far too difficult then perhaps swap course. Don't drop out of university all together. Just make sure you have given it a good go.

how long do you think i should try it for though like a few weeks or a term even
Reply 3
Original post by fefssdf
So I should be off to do a maths degree in septmeber but i can't help but think I'm gonna hate it. I liked Alevel maths cause it was easy to revise but uni maths is gonna be different and i fear i feel just be so behind and feel like dropping out/ swapping courses. I should be going to a good russel group but i haven't even done further maths since year 12 and I'm terrible at mechanics and hate physics and idk i only like some bits of maths.
any advice ?

I know what you mean and I've been doubting myself recently although I have done FM, especially because I know for a fact that I will struggle a lot with Stats and Mechanics modules for the first year (which is I can never get my head around at all) <(=_=)>

You shouldn't worry much, since pretty much everyone else will be in the exact same position as you (this is something I've heard from a lot of Maths 2nd yr student who did not do FM, and a few who did). As long as you are willing to work hard and have a genuine interest in Maths, you will do well. :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by kkboyk
I know what you mean and I've been doubting myself recently although I have done FM, especially because I know for a fact that I will struggle a lot with Stats and Mechanics modules for the first year (which is I can never get my head around at all) <(=_=)>

You shouldn't worry much, since pretty much everyone else will be in the exact same position as you (this is something I've heard from a lot of Maths 2nd yr student who did not do FM, and a few who did). As long as you are willing to work hard and have a genuine interest in Maths, you will do well. :tongue:

Thanks for the motivation it's nice to know others have still done alright without further maths ; I guess I'll just have to try a bit harder and pick some of the easier modules if that's possible
Im doing maths too and it depends on where you're going, some unis dont even require you to do further maths and some do. Depends on how confident you are but if you find a level maths easy then go for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Speak to people which are currently doing Maths degrees
Reply 7
Original post by fefssdf
Thanks for the motivation it's nice to know others have still done alright without further maths ; I guess I'll just have to try a bit harder and pick some of the easier modules if that's possible

Which uni are you have firmed out of interest? I've firmed Cardiff :tongue:

Pick the ones you are truly interested in rather than difficulty, since you may find some easier modules boring or they may even end up being much harder than expected. But anyways don't worry too much (it's not an easy degree, and everyone will struggle to some degree :tongue: )
Reply 8
Original post by kkboyk
Which uni are you have firmed out of interest? I've firmed Cardiff :tongue:

Pick the ones you are truly interested in rather than difficulty, since you may find some easier modules boring or they may even end up being much harder than expected. But anyways don't worry too much (it's not an easy degree, and everyone will struggle to some degree :tongue: )

Firm is Nottingham and insurance is Manchester ; both of them say that it is desirable to have further maths and when I went to the applicant days everyone was doing further maths and physics as well so I'm just pretty scared I'm not gonna be good enough as the normal offer is A*AA if you don't do further maths :/
Reply 9
Original post by ODES_PDES
Speak to people which are currently doing Maths degrees

The only person I know doing a maths degree is at Warwick but that doesn't help me lol
Reply 10
Original post by HFancy1997
Im doing maths too and it depends on where you're going, some unis dont even require you to do further maths and some do. Depends on how confident you are but if you find a level maths easy then go for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't find it easy but I did enjoy learning it and am willing to put the hours in
Original post by fefssdf
The only person I know doing a maths degree is at Warwick but that doesn't help me lol

Maths forum?
Original post by fefssdf
how long do you think i should try it for though like a few weeks or a term even

I'd say half a term - a term but it depends on how long it takes you to know for certain that the degree isn't for you.

I've had similar thoughts about my degree.
Reply 13
Original post by ODES_PDES
Maths forum?

Yeh that's a good idea ; I will have to do some investigating tomorrow
Where are you going? Which uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by fefssdf
Firm is Nottingham and insurance is Manchester ; both of them say that it is desirable to have further maths and when I went to the applicant days everyone was doing further maths and physics as well so I'm just pretty scared I'm not gonna be good enough as the normal offer is A*AA if you don't do further maths :/

Yeah, all unis say that FM is desirable for Maths degree nowadays.

You will spend the first few weeks pretty much flying through FP1-3 (and beyond the standard A-level syllabus), since they know that not everyone had done FM.Also, both those uni have a good Maths support team so you should be fine either way. :tongue:

I'll tag these users as they are or doing or have done Maths @SeanFM @13 1 20 8 42. @rayquaza17
Reply 16
Original post by fefssdf

any advice ?

I felt the same, as I'm lacking in any maths talent, I just worked a lot on maths at A level, and I expected to be "found out". To the contrary university maths has been more enjoyable, more interesting, and just as accessible, (if obviously a little more challenging) with hard work, as A level maths was. You'll never know until you get there. I don't know how big a part mechanics plays in the unis you've applied to but it shouldn't be massive. I didn't do a single physicsy module in first year, tried one and it was ****, so just dropped it. Most further maths stuff you don't really need/can pick up quite quickly (exception is matrices I suppose, and it's good to have a grasp of the ODE stuff in Further Maths too). It is certainly a different experience but if you are diligent with your notes (or, as is the case in Warwick, you are lucky enough to have great printed lecture notes from the department) revision should be fine.

edit: To be honest I put in a lot less work at uni than I did at A level...most of the time I only worked to get assignments in and otherwise was pretty lazy, and left revision very late a lot of the time with no ill effects. So it isn't exactly going to kill you in that regard, but I think it does get more challenging the further into the degree you get.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by kkboyk
Yeah, all unis say that FM is desirable for Maths degree nowadays.

You will spend the first few weeks pretty much flying through FP1-3 (and beyond the standard A-level syllabus), since they know that not everyone had done FM.Also, both those uni have a good Maths support team so you should be fine either way. :tongue:

I'll tag these users as they are or doing or have done Maths @SeanFM @13 1 20 8 42. @rayquaza17

This is why I'm worried cause they'll go through it really fast and for alevels I had to spend ages learning the content to try and understand it before it came to revision whereas others I. Know put in little effort but still do well
Reply 18
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I felt the same, as I'm lacking in any maths talent, I just worked a lot on maths at A level, and I expected to be "found out". To the contrary university maths has been more enjoyable, more interesting, and just as accessible, (if obviously a little more challenging) with hard work, as A level maths was. You'll never know until you get there. I don't know how big a part mechanics plays in the unis you've applied to but it shouldn't be massive. I didn't do a single physicsy module in first year, tried one and it was ****, so just dropped it. Most further maths stuff you don't really need/can pick up quite quickly (exception is matrices I suppose, and it's good to have a grasp of the ODE stuff in Further Maths too). It is certainly a different experience but if you are diligent with your notes (or, as is the case in Warwick, you are lucky enough to have great printed lecture notes from the department) revision should be fine.

edit: To be honest I put in a lot less work at uni than I did at A level...most of the time I only worked to get assignments in and otherwise was pretty lazy, and left revision very late a lot of the time with no ill effects. So it isn't exactly going to kill you in that regard, but I think it does get more challenging the further into the degree you get.

Thanks for the detailed response and yeh j guess I'll just have to wait and see how it is and hopefully it won't be that bad !
Reply 19
Original post by HFancy1997
Where are you going? Which uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firm is Nottingham and Insurance is Manchester but they want the same grades lol

Quick Reply

Latest