The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gogregg
It's just horrible...

I feel somewhat comfortable with timing now, it's just a matter of actually getting the answers correct :lol:
I have a knack for just not reading stuff properly during VR... Either that or not knowing what a word means and guessing incorrectly :colondollar:

How long did it take you to get comfortable with timings

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Cobbold
How long did it take you to get comfortable with timings

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not too long I'd say. About a week or two.
When trying to get comfortable with timings, first make sure you can consistently do the questions. There's no point doing time-limited practice if you get them all wrong every time. Just work at the different questions at your own pace, until that pace improves.

I still struggle sometimes with the timings of the worded-answer VR questions, but it's never going to be perfect, I don't think. I just need to keep on practicing :s-smilie:

Also, bear in mind that you won't have to answer every question to get a good score. Better to do most of the questions at your own pace and get them all right as opposed to rushing them all and getting half of them wrong!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg
It's just horrible...

I feel somewhat comfortable with timing now, it's just a matter of actually getting the answers correct :lol:
I have a knack for just not reading stuff properly during VR... Either that or not knowing what a word means and guessing incorrectly :colondollar:

What unis are you thinking of applying to again? Can't remember or be bothered to flick back through the pages sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Christina1999H
What unis are you thinking of applying to again? Can't remember or be bothered to flick back through the pages sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So far I'm thinking Plymouth, UEA, BSMS and I'm not certain about my last choice. Maybe Leicester. I haven't seen all the universities I am (currently) capable of getting into yet, so this might change. If I get a good UKCAT, I will probably apply to Newcastle :u:
That said, it all depends on results and whatnot...

What about you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg
So far I'm thinking Plymouth, UEA, BSMS and I'm not certain about my last choice. Maybe Leicester. I haven't seen all the universities I am (currently) capable of getting into yet, so this might change. If I get a good UKCAT, I will probably apply to Newcastle :u:

What about you?

I am going away for 2 weeks tomz and then i have 2 weeks when im bacj to oratice but i just sucj at QR i can do the maths but not work out what the problem wants in the tike given!!! I get like 40% on ghe kaplan quizzes :frown: i get about 80% for AR as i find this relativly easy and around 67% for VR. Will i reallt ve able to imrpoe this maths score in time after im back from holiay or ever? Am i a lost cause
Original post by Gogregg

What about you?

Not 100% sure yet, so much depends on my UKCAT score 😬 so far, UCL, Southampton, Birmingham, Newcastle but I also quite liked Cardiff
I'm planning on visiting a load more in September especially if UKCAT doesn't go as well as I need it too: Southampton and Newcastle both rank candidates by UKCAT score haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by clairebear101
I am going away for 2 weeks tomz and then i have 2 weeks when im bacj to oratice but i just sucj at QR i can do the maths but not work out what the problem wants in the tike given!!! I get like 40% on ghe kaplan quizzes :frown: i get about 80% for AR as i find this relativly easy and around 67% for VR. Will i reallt ve able to imrpoe this maths score in time after im back from holiay or ever? Am i a lost cause

Don't worry, 2 weeks is plenty of time! When doing the maths, first just practice it without the time constraints. You should start to get used to the patterns and will be able to do it in the time given, out at least be able to do most of it in the time given. Remember, it's better to answer most of it well than all of it badly :smile:

Original post by Christina1999H
Not 100% sure yet, so much depends on my UKCAT score 😬 so far, UCL, Southampton, Birmingham, Newcastle but I also quite liked Cardiff
I'm planning on visiting a load more in September especially if UKCAT doesn't go as well as I need it too: Southampton and Newcastle both rank candidates by UKCAT score haha
Posted from TSR Mobile

So much depends on the UKCAT score, and it's so annoying! I just want to do well...
Reply 427
any re-applicants on here??if so, what are u guys planning to do in your gap year?
Original post by Dr Cobbold
What's a defer entry

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you would take a gap year and start physiology in 2018, applying again for med in the meantime.

Edit: or 2017 if I read right
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 429
how many weeks before the ukcat exam would you advise to start studying, because last time i studied too much resulting in me peaking too early which affected my score badly???
Original post by PND98
how many weeks before the ukcat exam would you advise to start studying, because last time i studied too much resulting in me peaking too early which affected my score badly???

maybe a month depends on how much practice you have done make sure to go through loads of questions
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg
Don't worry, 2 weeks is plenty of time! When doing the maths, first just practice it without the time constraints. You should start to get used to the patterns and will be able to do it in the time given, out at least be able to do most of it in the time given. Remember, it's better to answer most of it well than all of it badly :smile:

So much depends on the UKCAT score, and it's so annoying! I just want to do well...

Good luck for tomorrow!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have about 1 week left till my exam and right now I'm focusing on QR i don't know why I left that late loool 2 days ago I found it really difficult but with some practise I'm getting 63% correct which is pretty decent. My main focus right now is understanding the QR section and working on my timing...

Personally my strong points are SJ and AR with VR being a little bit difficult. I think QR is the most difficult section. Everyone seems to have spent a fortune on books and courses but all I've got is 1 book (the 1200 questions by UNI ADMISSIONS as it was on sale lool) and just the online practise tests provided by ukcat.

I have no idea what kind of score I'm going to get but we'll see what happens. Does anyone have a method of finding out approx. what score you would get? Also, if you've sat the test how to overcome the time constraints as i find it so difficult. My time for VR usually runs out by the time I'm on question 33 :frown:

All the best for your test everyone. I hope everyone reaches their full potential!! Much love. If i do terribly and get rejected everywhere I'm going to take a gap year.

Quick reminder- don't be harsh on yourself!! Don't give up! Just keep trying. <3
GUYS WTF AM I MEANT TO DO MY UKCAT IS IN EXACTLY ONE MONTH I AM SITTING AT HOME WATCHING THREE MOVIES A DAY AND I AM ABSOLUTELY **** AT VERBAL REASONING AND ABSTRACT REASONING AND QUANTITATiVE REASONING AND BASICALLY THE WHOLE THING

lol im bare ****ed.
Original post by sububzi
GUYS WTF AM I MEANT TO DO MY UKCAT IS IN EXACTLY ONE MONTH I AM SITTING AT HOME WATCHING THREE MOVIES A DAY AND I AM ABSOLUTELY **** AT VERBAL REASONING AND ABSTRACT REASONING AND QUANTITATiVE REASONING AND BASICALLY THE WHOLE THING

lol im bare ****ed.

You've got a whole month don't worry and everyone finds it somewhat difficult anyway.. I've got just less than a month and I'm away for two of those weeks..tbh 25 hours of practice will probably be enough right? Stop freaking out you're making the rest of us nervous 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ukcat is unethical.
Original post by sububzi

lol im bare ****ed.

Hey, don't worry!
A month is plenty of time. I only practiced for about 2-3 weeks, and that was just little sessions each day for the most part :colondollar:

Original post by Lemauricien
Ukcat is unethical.

How so?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lemauricien
Ukcat is unethical.

agreed.
How so?

Do no harm bro, do u know how much brain cells ukcat kills.
(Idk either but you get the idea)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending