The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is the world better off with or without Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sulaimanali
Define which society. It has had positive effects on many societies. And the question is actually in the tile, do you understand? Marginalisation is what is happening with Islam.

Define what Islam is
All religion is poison, but if Islam was to be eradicated it would be the single greatest thing that could happen to the world just now.
Original post by College_Dropout
Define what Islam is

Islam is a religion in which Muslims stem from. Islam is meant to be the 'way of life' and Islam means 'peace'. Obviously these lunatic people nowadays aren't representing Islam well. But, then they aren't good Muslims.
Scenario: The Human race is extinguished by a global disaster, except for two babies who are reared by bonobos, after 100000 years or so would Islam (or any other known religion) exist?
Reply 44
Who said we should? The OP is asking for opinions, not fact and plan.

Alright. Then its no point. And there is no way anyways with so many believers in the world. So attempting openly will create chaos and have a very bad impact.

My opinion is therefore...with.
Islam is here to stay, and Insha'Allah the UK will eventually accept Islam as state religion.

:biggrin:
Original post by h333
Alright. Then its no point. And there is no way anyways with so many believers in the world. So attempting openly will create chaos and have a very bad impact.

My opinion is therefore...with.

Cool story bro
Original post by sulaimanali
Islam is a religion in which Muslims stem from. Islam is meant to be the 'way of life' and Islam means 'peace'. Obviously these lunatic people nowadays aren't representing Islam well. But, then they aren't good Muslims.

Thats not a definition.
Islam:
the religion of the Muslims, a monotheistic faith regarded as revealed through Muhammad as the Prophet of Allah.
Thats not a definition.

That's a definition I quickly could come up with..if you want a dictionary definition, if you're able to..there's something called 'google'...go and erm, look it up?
Reply 50
Neither. People have always been d**ks and killed each other and have always found ways to justify it. Similarly some people have also always been kind and loving. Remember that it was people who created Islam in the first place, it's not this celestial thing which has special powers over us. Even those who are persuaded by 'Islam' to, say, blow themselves up are essentially being driven by people and the ideas of people.

If you got rid of it, something else would take its place. If not another religion, another cause.

I find it weird how people blame religion for terrorism and also thank it for all the good in the world. It's just a vehicle for pre-existing ideas.
Reply 51
Cool story bro

I gave my opinion and a bit of an explanation. :tongue:

Reply 52
Define what Islam is

Hopefully it helps.

The Arabic term "Islam" itself is usually translated as "submission"; submission of desires to the will of God. It comes from the term "aslama", which means "to surrender" or "resign oneself". The Arabic word salaam (سلام) ("Peace") has the same root as the word Islam.
I think the real question is "Is the world better off without humans?"

I say yes.
That's easy. Yes, the answer is and always will be yes.

Original post by Speedscarlet
Muslims make 23% of people in this planet so er... We need them.

But what we don't need is terrorists.

Remove the religion not the people. We don't need people to specifically be Muslim.

Original post by Proximo
That's an extremely complicated and difficult question which also needs lots of clarification. No one could ever answer a question like that properly because of how long it's been around and its numerous effects, positive or negative.

Virtually impossible to answer because of the countless factors

Nope. It's a backwards, violent, intolerant religion that makes entire countries, entire regions unstable, and it is a contributing factor to religious conservatism and extremism. Also, it is incompatible with western society, or any society.
Therefore the answer is quite simple.

Original post by Adamski191
You shouldn't just be asking this about Islam. At times, I ponder if the world could've been better off without Christianity. Even now, the only religion I can feel any compassion towards these days is Judaism.

No religion would be better, but at this present time there isn't a Christian caliphate beheading, destroying ancient historical artefacts, raping, etc etc.

Original post by Trill
What a tough question. The world would be better if Islam reformed like Christianity has tried to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt that will ever truly happen.

Original post by shazaib9696
Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the world better off with or without you? Answer this for me.

That's a ridiculous question. And it's irrelevant.

Original post by AndrewSCO
Yes. But so would it be if you took away Christianity. Because both ways you're reducing the amount of differences in the world. People fight and attack other people because they have differences of opinions and beliefs, and those lead to conflict. So the less religions you have the less different groups and agendas you have.

From our point of view, all *our* problems would be solved with no Islam. From their point of view, all their problems would be solved without us. Luckily for us all, nobody is god and can just wipe the other side out of existence.

Religion may fuel a lot of terrorism, but for many other people it brings peace. You can't just look at the reduction of terror attacks as the only factor in this debate. I'd say if you just took away religion right now, then probably not. If you make so it never existed in the first place, the world would be a better place.

It doesn't matter if it brings inner peace to some individuals. That's irrelevant. They don't need that religion or any religion in order to find that peace or any other sort of peace. The idea that they do is due to countless generations of religious based propaganda and brainwashing.
Obviously we're not talking about it having never existed in the first place, because that's impossible. The topic clearly is talking about the future. And in the future, it would be better if Islam ceased to exist. Period.

Original post by AlifunArnab
Islam is here to stay, and Insha'Allah the UK will eventually accept Islam as state religion.

:biggrin:

Nnnnnope. Unlikely.

Original post by abc:)
Neither. People have always been d**ks and killed each other and have always found ways to justify it. Similarly some people have also always been kind and loving. Remember that it was people who created Islam in the first place, it's not this celestial thing which has special powers over us. Even those who are persuaded by 'Islam' to, say, blow themselves up are essentially being driven by people and the ideas of people.

If you got rid of it, something else would take its place. If not another religion, another cause.

I find it weird how people blame religion for terrorism and also thank it for all the good in the world. It's just a vehicle for pre-existing ideas.

Irrelevant, and a poor excuse not to abolish it. People have always killed each other, doesn't mean we should tolerate something which is intolerant and is a source for violence. Doesn't mean we should live and let live. Nor is it an argument that we shouldn't abolish it because something else may take it's place. That's also a poor excuse, and I don't think it in anyway justifies tolerating something as violent and intolerant as a medieval religion in this modern world.
It is unnecessary, outdated, and dangerous.
Reply 55
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
I think the real question is "Is the world better off without humans?"

I say yes.

:mmm:
The question is if the world would be better without islam. But this isnt an easy question because islam itself forget about muslims islam itself is extremely akin to christianity they both believe in jesus and all previous prophets and many of rulings and analogous.so then this domino effect of questioning religion will occur
I think questions like these undermine the uncomfortable truth about human nature. As long as the fear of death remains, religion will always exist (In it's various forms). I would agree that the abrahamic religions have caused a net harm to this world but if it wasn't Islam, would it be replaced by Scientology? Mormonism?*

Would these religions simply be replaced by other religions or non-religious groups? I feel like religion has become the boogeyman for all of this and its more just an issue of class, poverty and ignorance. Because as we know, men have created God, so in a way religion is almost a "spiritual wrapping" to already existing ideas and beliefs. A muslim/christian/jewish city banker's ideas about their religion will vary significantly to a follower when it was first revealed to them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by thunder_chunky

Irrelevant, and a poor excuse not to abolish it. People have always killed each other, doesn't mean we should tolerate something which is intolerant and is a source for violence. Doesn't mean we should live and let live. Nor is it an argument that we shouldn't abolish it because something else may take it's place. That's also a poor excuse, and I don't think it in anyway justifies tolerating something as violent and intolerant as a medieval religion in this modern world.
It is unnecessary, outdated, and dangerous.

You're totally misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not using my reasoning as an excuse. I'm saying the same amount of good and evil exists within Islam as there is outside of it and that this has always been the case. You can abolish it if you want [although I doubt you have a masterplan, 'thunder chunky']. I wouldn't particularly care. But you'd be disappointed to find that all the terrorists wouldn't suddenly become good, virtuous people and terrorism and violence would continue regardless.

Those many Muslims who are good people would also continue to be good because, despite what they may think, they are good people because they have it deep inside them and have been brought up by good people. It isn't their 'god' which makes them good.

this is just my opinion as an atheist although I realise it could anger people on both sides of the argument.
Original post by abc:)
You're totally misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not using my reasoning as an excuse. I'm saying the same amount of good and evil exists within Islam as there is outside of it and that this has always been the case. You can abolish it if you want [although I doubt you have a masterplan, 'thunder chunky']. I wouldn't particularly care. But you'd be disappointed to find that all the terrorists wouldn't suddenly become good, virtuous people and terrorism and violence would continue regardless.

Those many Muslims who are good people would also continue to be good because, despite what they may think, they are good people because they have it deep inside them and have been brought up by good people. It isn't their 'god' which makes them good.

this is just my opinion as an atheist although I realise it could anger people on both sides of the argument.

If terrorists wouldnt suddenly become good, wouldnt that mean that some muslims can be evil as oppose to Islam itself.

ive undergone many charities in the past and travelled to many countries in africa to build wells etc in deprived areas, as well as volunteering hospitals, and i do so as i believe i will be rewarded in this world or when i die. Most of the inspiration for doing good i get from a book compiled by Hadhrat Manzoor Nomani on book of manners and soft heartedness which are hundreds of sayings of the prophet and actions done.

If i were an atheist, and i believed we are just accidents of a `selfish` gene, and do not believe in being rewarded, do you think i would even think about spending my hard earned money on people who are just not naturally selected?

Latest

Trending

Trending