The Student Room Group

The Prime Minister is running scared of a general election - PETITION!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Bzzt, repetition.

That's you out of this game of just a minute.

Nope it is not repetition - The poster "BEAR" said he could not read my post because it had too many capital letters in it so I made it lower case thus:

"
That is incorrect.The REMAINers are not asking for the Mayites to stop Brexit, they are instead asking to decide weather they support the exit terms.

This is a different referendum.

Before we had to guess what Brexit would entail and was definitely not democratic - as we had no idea what we were actually voting for.With the second referendum, we will know what we will be voting for or against.

In fact "bear" if you are against it it would make you the 'fascist' and undemocratic person because you would be stopping your fellow man and woman from making a rational decision based on factual information.
"
(only capitals remaining are REMAIN)
Original post by FredOrJohn

"
(only capitals remaining are REMAIN)

I see what you did there.

Really helping that image of you not being irrational.
Reply 102
I'm a Conservative and calling a GE would be fantastic for us right now; have you seen the state of labour?! We would get an even greater majority. But is that really wise?

We need to think in the bigger picture! We've just had the Brexit vote and the country is at its most divided and unstable in years - is it wise to call a general election? What we need right now is strong leadership to secure some sort of stability, heak all the wounds after brexit and get Britain on the right track again. The only certainty a GE can bring is they of greater uncertainty and instability.

Also, basic economics knowlege makes it highly likely that our economy would be damaged further if we call a GE. Shock waves were sent out through the markets after the Brexit vote because there was mass uncertainty - uncertainty over Britain's future after brexit, uncertainty with David Cameron's resignation - and the markets hate uncertainty (hence why the FTSE 100 plummeted). A GE would mean even greater uncertainty at a time where uncertainty is not needed, meaning there would be a decline in confidence in our economy and investors won't buy shares and share holders will sell. We do not need that right now. We cannot have a GE right now.

And then there is the irrefutable argument that Theresa May taking over shouldn't affect anything. You quote May demanding a GE after Brown was PM but it is important to note that the Fixed Parliament Act wasn't in place then; it is now practically a legal requirement that a government stays in power for 5 years until the next election, so the context of May's demand was significantly different. Also, Labour refused to hold a general election and I think that's fair enough. When we vote in elections we do not vote for a leader nor even a party, but an MP to represent a manifesto. On the ballot paper is the name of your local MP and you vote for him and the manifesto. You don't vote for the leader and a change of leader should only mean slight changes because the government will still be aiming to fulfil the manifesto primaries of he 2015 election.

There is no need for a new GE.
Why do petitions exist? They're so useless and annoying.

Here are several things to note:

What the PM has said isn't written in stone.

If she did call an election, she'd win in a landslide (so I'm really hoping she does).

However, there's a little thing called the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act which requires two-thirds of all 650 MPs to vote for an early election. Such a vote would obviously rely on Labour MPs effectively obliterating their own careers and party. Not so likely...
Reply 104
Original post by eddso
You quote May demanding a GE after Brown was PM but it is important to note that the Fixed Parliament Act wasn't in place then; it is now practically a legal requirement that a government stays in power for 5 years until the next election

There are various ways of calling an early GE within the terms of FTPA if Parliament, or Theresa May, wills it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 105
Original post by A1112787
Why do petitions exist? They're so useless and annoying.

Here are several things to note:

What the PM has said isn't written in stone.

If she did call an election, she'd win in a landslide (so I'm really hoping she does).

However, there's a little thing called the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act which requires two-thirds of all 650 MPs to vote for an early election. Such a vote would obviously rely on Labour MPs effectively obliterating their own careers and party. Not so likely...

There can also be a motion of no confidence. That just requires 50%.

And Labour have already called for a GE, as have LibDems and others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 106
Original post by jneill
There are various ways of calling an early GE within the terms of FTPA if Parliament, or Theresa May, wills it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course there are ways but it would completely undermine the sole purpose of the act if we had one when a few people are in a political strop.

And just because there are ways, doesn't mean it should happen. As I said above, conservatives would most likely win a landslide (of which I would be happy with) but it is not in the national interest to have so much pressure and uncertainty.
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are only three ways:
Repeal and replacement with old system (or any other, but most realistically old system), which wouldn't lead to an early election;
434 MPs voting in favour of one, not happening, too many labour MPs would fear for their seats and too many Tories would want to avoid the added uncertainty;
No confidence in the government for two weeks, not happening.

There are several ways but none would happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
There can also be a motion of no confidence. That just requires 50%.

And Labour have already called for a GE, as have LibDems and others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The government would never pass a motion of no confidence in itself - that's PR suicide.

The great irony is that those who are calling for an election are those worst placed to have one (as you say Labour and the Lib Dems).

I hope the PM moves for an election (with Labour effectively politically bound to vote for an early election or risk having a potentially useful soundbite weaponised against them ("We called for a vote and Labour voted it down - they don't want you to have a say", etc.) because we'd win and then some and Labour would be absolutely demolished for the next 15 years or so.
Reply 109
Original post by eddso
Of course there are ways but it would completely undermine the sole purpose of the act if we had one when a few people are in a political strop.

And just because there are ways, doesn't mean it should happen. As I said above, conservatives would most likely win a landslide (of which I would be happy with) but it is not in the national interest to have so much pressure and uncertainty.

You said said it was practically a legal requirement. It isn't... :wink:

Nick Clegg drafted the bill and agrees.

And if it would decimate the other parties, the ones who are calling for it, call their bluff... Have the GE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 110
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly..."practically", not 'absolutely'. It is practically a legal requirement; certain terms in the act, however, mean that it is not an absolute legal requirement.
Reply 111
Original post by jneill

And if it would decimate the other parties, the ones who are calling for it, call their bluff... Have the GE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you still don't seem to understand all the other effects a GE election will have that I mentioned, evident by your refusal to acknowledge them. In the current political and economic climate, only a fool would want to call one
Oooops!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/poll-second-eu-referendum-brexit-theresa-may-general-election-voters-a7140721.html

These petitions are rather sad. There is no opposition in this country to the Government, none whatsoever. Even if there were an election short term (which there won't be) the exact opposite of what the petitioners hope would transpire. Labour would be decimated.

So all that is left is for the Referendum losers to ***** and moan, hope the country fails (a Remain friend of mine actually admitted he wanted this!) and sign pathetic little petitions like this.
Original post by SMEGGGY
He'll be ousted very very soon the old backward senile bastard

Posted from TSR Mobile

:biggrin: ffs
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't support a GE because the last thing the country needs right now are months of further political instability. So it won't happen.

But I can't help thinking it would be fun. Labour is rotten to the core, and it would only take one good kick for the whole worm eaten edifice to collapse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending