The Student Room Group

maths degree + doubts

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Barcoder
Dont do it if you think you might not enjoy it. im guessing university maths will be tougher to get than a level maths so you might not enjoy it.

Thanks for the advice but I think I've just got to give it a go and see what happens
Reply 41
Original post by fefssdf
Yeh I will try and do this for sure and yeh I will be joining the maths society ; hopefully I meet some really clever people who have done further maths and they can help me ; preferably hot posh boys as well ...cause uni isn't just about studying

And this is when dirty Maths jokes comes into action :colone:
Reply 42
Original post by kkboyk
And this is when dirty Maths jokes comes into action :colone:

http://www.jokes4us.com/pickuplines/mathpickuplines.html some are crap but oh well..
Reply 43

"What do Maths and my **** have in common? They are both hard" :laugh2:
Original post by fefssdf
Thanks Ayaz Lad :biggrin:

Haha i need to get into Uni urggh
Original post by fefssdf
I kinda hope now that I don't get into uni this time around so I can think more about what I actually want to do as I was considering doing a joint honours course with psychology and maths so I can avoid physics altogether but yeh I guess I'm just gonna have to think seriously and if I'm absolutely hating it after like a month then I may have to swap courses. Thanks for the honest advice :smile: and yeh I get what you meant about the lecturers and stuff not being that helpful like if you don't understand it then you're gonna have to find some other person to explain it :/
I know I want to do maths but just certain aspects of maths I genuinely dislike and find really hard like mechanics especially .

It might be worth considering taking a gap year to decide what you actually want to study at uni or which uni you want to go to. You don't sound very confident about what you want to study, and going to uni is quite a big commitment. Even if you only study there for a term and drop out (because it may or may not be too late to swap courses by that stage), you may have to pay the money back straight away to student finance. Read this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15913-how-dropping-out-will-affect-your-finances.

Most unis have a list of the modules and their descriptions online. If you read that for the ones you've applied to, you can see if the modules are to your liking. You should be able to swap some modules as well, so you could do eg a history module, but this depends on the policy of the uni.
Original post by rayquaza17
It might be worth considering taking a gap year to decide what you actually want to study at uni or which uni you want to go to. You don't sound very confident about what you want to study, and going to uni is quite a big commitment. Even if you only study there for a term and drop out (because it may or may not be too late to swap courses by that stage), you may have to pay the money back straight away to student finance. Read this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15913-how-dropping-out-will-affect-your-finances.

Most unis have a list of the modules and their descriptions online. If you read that for the ones you've applied to, you can see if the modules are to your liking. You should be able to swap some modules as well, so you could do eg a history module, but this depends on the policy of the uni.

This is not true unless you're earning more than £21,000.00/year (gross income), student grants are taken away by the Conservative government anyway so there'll be no overpayment issue. The main problem is accruing large amounts of debt without a good reason

As for whether she should do the Maths degree, a lot of the Core subjects are applied in Engineering disciplines but the Decision/Further Pure modules as well as the more theoretical side of maths along with their proofs will be taught in a Maths degree.

From the sound of things, if she gave physics a chance, she should be a much better physicist/engineer than a mathematician. It's still very "how does things work?" and manipulating difficult calculus, but not so deep into the theory that the practical applications are more or less non-existent.

I'm sure many Universities will gladly take her on a Foundation year to do the conversion, Durham and QMUL and Manchester/Birmingham certainly do.
Reply 47
Original post by rayquaza17

I know that my firm choice lets you do a 1/6 of the modules from other departments so I could do education / psychology modules, and Yh there does seem to be some physics stuff but I know in the third year you get a lot more choice and you could just avoid it and do things like maths education instead which I'd do so shouldn't be that bad, and no I do want to do maths at uni but I'll just need to have more of an open mind towards learning new things as it might not be that bad after all

If I don't get into my firm/ insurance then I will take a gap year and likely apply for a different course next time around so I'm gonna just leave it to fate whether I do it or not cause st the end of the day if I meet the entry requirements than surely I'm capable of doing it :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest