The Student Room Group

Myth Busting Monday - what percentage of girls 13-17 experienced physical abuse?

This poll is closed

What percentage of teenage girls (13-17) have experienced physical domestic abuse?

1-5% 25%
6-15% 0%
16-25% 50%
more than 25%25%
Total votes: 4
Domestic violence/abuse can happen to anyone at any age.

Over the last five years there has been increasing awareness of the problems surrounding domestic violence. This includes research being done into the impact of domestic violence within teenage relationships.

Domestic violence and take many forms. If your partner is using fear, violence or intimidation to try and control you that is domestic abuse. If they are hurting you or have forced you to perform sexual acts that you did not want to do that is abuse (and depending on what has happened is also be sexual assault or Rape.

If you are experiencing domestic abuse, whatever your age there are places that you can go for help. The government is running a campaign at the moment which you can find information about here https://www.disrespectnobody.co.uk/. If you aren't sure what to do you can also ask for help on TSR in the relationships forum

So the question for today is what percentage of UK teenagers girls between the ages of 13-17 (as that is what the have the stats for it can impact boys to) have experienced physical violence within the context of a romantic relationship.
Original post by randdom
So the question for today is what percentage of UK teenagers girls between the ages of 13-17 (as that is what the have the stats for it can impact boys to) have experienced physical violence within the context of a romantic relationship.

Hmm, I think 16-25% for physical but higher for emotional/both - it seems so high, but I think a lot of it goes unreported (especially in cultures where they are expected to obey). I hope those who are experiencing it are able to get help!
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Hmm, I think 16-25% for physical but higher for emotional/both - it seems so high, but I think a lot of it goes unreported (especially in cultures where they are expected to obey). I hope those who are experiencing it are able to get help!

I'd agree with this, but would be at least as interested to see the statistics for emotional abuse. The latter seems to go unrecognised/unreported a lot more, despite the fact it can have just as big an impact on people subjected to it!
Reply 3
I have this awful feeling feeling it'll be really high :sad: I voted for 25%+ for this reason though as Bubbles and Shadow have said, alot of it will inevitably go unreported :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending