The Student Room Group

What exactly is your problem with benefits?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sleepysnooze
*sigh* I was talking about a default "not paying you simply because yoiu're disabled" policy - only if you actually can't pay, and on top of parental support. if they were wealthy yet disabled it would a bit dumb, wouldn't it? probably. but I'm loving your "oh you just hate disabled people and their parents!!!" ranting

Have you seen the forms that have to be filled in? You don't get disability benefits because you have a disability. You get them because you have care or mobility needs.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have you seen the forms that have to be filled in? You don't get disability benefits because you have a disability. You get them because you have care or mobility needs.

okay well thank you for bringing that to my attention..
Original post by Jackieox
With the child one I don't think you should have kids unless you can afford to look after them (this is more aimed towards the bigger families who claim it's their "right" to have a big family. Well it's right that you pay for them then.

you do realise some people have children via circumstances out of their control ie rape
so just because they chose not to abort the child (which no doubt youd have an issue with), they shouldnt get child benefit help...thats what your saying right
Original post by shawtyb
you do realise some people have children via circumstances out of their control ie rape
so just because they chose not to abort the child (which no doubt youd have an issue with), they shouldnt get child benefit help...thats what your saying right

No. What I'm saying is about those parents you see on tv and stuff with six kids who are saying they want more kids and it's their right to have a big family. Well then they can pay for them.
No. What I'm saying is about those parents you see on tv and stuff with six kids who are saying they want more kids and it's their right to have a big family. Well then they can pay for them.

oh yea in that context i understand.
it is their own right to have a big family but i do think that the bigger the family gets, the more they should be expected to pay their selves.
like helped financially by DWP up to a certain extent

does that make sense?
Original post by shawtyb
oh yea in that context i understand.
it is their own right to have a big family but i do think that the bigger the family gets, the more they should be expected to pay their selves.
like helped financially by DWP up to a certain extent

does that make sense?

I'm pretty sure child benefit is capped to two kids

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
I'm pretty sure child benefit is capped to two kids

Posted from TSR Mobile

it is now but it wasnt last yr
Original post by shawtyb
it is now but it wasnt last yr

Yea true enough but to take it away retrospectively wouldn't be fair

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol they're on tv because their situation is extreme and great fodder for exploitation to get people like yourself against benefits. I'm inclined to think most non-religious people have like 2-3 kids in this country. Since when do you just see secular people walking around with classroom sized families? I specify secular because I'm sure Muslims might have bigger immediate families, since they always say they do. Besides, this country is great for protecting children if the benefits are supposedly so generous. As opposed to leaving em to beg like we're in Mumbai.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
Lol they're on tv because their situation is extreme and great fodder for exploitation to get people like yourself against benefits. I'm inclined to think most non-religious people have like 2-3 kids in this country. Since when do you just see secular people walking around with classroom sized families? I specify secular because I'm sure Muslims might have bigger immediate families, since they always say they do. Besides, this country is great for protecting children if the benefits are supposedly so generous. As opposed to leaving em to beg like we're in Mumbai.

This. This right here is my problem with benefits.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3697629/Mother-five-benefits-demands-bigger-home-s-unfair-11-year-old-daughter-share-box-room-four-little-brothers.html

"I know people say it's my fault for having so many kids but it's what I wanted. We are just asking for an extra bedroom."

Why should my parents (and me as I work full time over summer) have a big bulk taken away from us every month so she can have a bigger house. If she wants it, then she can work for it. It's people like that that I have a problem with.
This. This right here is my problem with benefits.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3697629/Mother-five-benefits-demands-bigger-home-s-unfair-11-year-old-daughter-share-box-room-four-little-brothers.html

"I know people say it's my fault for having so many kids but it's what I wanted. We are just asking for an extra bedroom."

Why should my parents (and me as I work full time over summer) have a big bulk taken away from us every month so she can have a bigger house. If she wants it, then she can work for it. It's people like that that I have a problem with.

Hi jackie.
Do you understand what you're saying? You're wanting children to live in unsafe, unhealthy conditions because you have a bone to pick?

This is also the purpose my thread: that these media-exploited situations are not the norm, and your issues with child tax shouldn't warrant you having "a problem with benefits." You should specify, problem with child tax benefits. Again you have chagrin for a certain person's situation but are still putting an umbrella over benefits in general. Also an extra bedroom isn't really a standard "perk" of child tax. That's why they're demanding it, and may or may not get it. An extra bedroom also doesn't necessarily mean the lap of luxury. Your taxes go to welfare in general, so it's not like you yourself are being targeted to pay for child tax. Your taxes are generally contributed to the entire welfare system which I already broke down in the OP, and off the top of my head I already know pensions is the largest pubic expenditure.

You and @paul514 really need to look at this:

http://visual.ons.gov.uk/welfare-spending/
So paul you saying pensions doesn't count in "the bill," for welfare, it literally does genius. And it accounts for the largest portion.
Original post by 0to100
Hi jackie.
Do you understand what you're saying? You're wanting children to live in unsafe, unhealthy conditions because you have a bone to pick?

This is also the purpose my thread: that these media-exploited situations are not the norm, and your issues with child tax shouldn't warrant you having "a problem with benefits." You should specify, problem with child tax benefits. Again you have chagrin for a certain person's situation but are still putting an umbrella over benefits in general. Also an extra bedroom isn't really a standard "perk" of child tax. That's why they're demanding it, and may or may not get it. An extra bedroom also doesn't necessarily mean the lap of luxury. Your taxes go to welfare in general, so it's not like you yourself are being targeted to pay for child tax. Your taxes are generally contributed to the entire welfare system which I already broke down in the OP, and off the top of my head I already know pensions is the largest pubic expenditure.

You and @paul514 really need to look at this:

http://visual.ons.gov.uk/welfare-spending/
So paul you saying pensions doesn't count in "the bill," for welfare, it literally does genius. And it accounts for the largest portion.

I said it shouldn't be counted into the bill not that it wasn't 'genius'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0to100
Hi jackie.

I don't think that's actually the problem. I used to know people who claimed they are too sick to work; yet, are well enough to have child after child, which the state will pay for. Because they are supposedly so ill that they can't work, the benefit cap doesn't apply to them. Meanwhile, there are people out there working full time who can't afford to have any more children. How is that fair?
Original post by Tiger Rag
I don't think that's actually the problem. I used to know people who claimed they are too sick to work; yet, are well enough to have child after child, which the state will pay for. Because they are supposedly so ill that they can't work, the benefit cap doesn't apply to them. Meanwhile, there are people out there working full time who can't afford to have any more children. How is that fair?

What isn't exactly the problem? And so again what do you people suggest? Sterilise people so they can't make kids?...Make other benefits claimants suffer and make restrictions because of the rarity that the "dailymail" decides to speak about?
@Chrissy_035 whoa cheers for the rep.
My thread has been resurrected.
Original post by 0to100
@Chrissy_035 whoa cheers for the rep.
My thread has been resurrected.

No problem:h:
Was having a heated discussion with a friend about this a few months back and she didn't really get my point
Original post by Chrissy_035
No problem:h:
Was having a heated discussion with a friend about this a few months back and she didn't really get my point

Wow. Can you share the details of this discussion? :wink:
Original post by 0to100
Wow. Can you share the details of this discussion? :wink:

Of course:tongue:
****ing scum the lot of them
Original post by Chrissy_035
Of course:tongue:

Well go on.

Original post by Mr Moon Man
****ing scum the lot of them

Oh stop it :rolleyes:
Even your mum and dad collecting pensions? Which is included in the same budget as tax credits? Because it's the same exact concept of welfare? They're scum? Wowo. Make sure to tell them.

Quick Reply

Latest