The Student Room Group

Decent universities that take grades BBC?

I'm obviously not expecting to get into oxford or UCL. I'd actually put off applying to uni for a year because I didn't think that any decent universities would take me with my grades, but after doing more general admin work I've decided that I really need something more challenging for my future, just something that stretches me a bit more intellectually.

I haven't decided on a course yet but I'm thinking history or english, or both (though not many unis seem to offer those subjects as a joint course?)

So yeah, if you know of any university that isn't horrifically low on the league table, and that generally speaking would take those grades, I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know. I'm in the early stages of searching and so I'm open to a variety of options.

Thankyou!

Scroll to see replies

You may have a chance with lower RG universities. My mate got in to Cardiff with the same grades as you've mentioned. The likes of Liverpool, QM and then ones like Reading, Aston etc are decent
Possibly a foundation year could help
Define decent, you'd have to look at course requirements for the universities you want to go to. I would consider a decent university to be AAA.
Even some of the lower RG unis require AAA-AAB for history. Might have to settle for a non RG uni...
Reply 4
Russell Group is not the be all and end all. I went to a non RG uni and did a masters at a RG uni and
now im doing a PhD at a RG uni. Essentially you can work your way up, if you get the grades and show the motivation and drive to do well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Really the course should come first and then the options of unis will come after.

Have a look at Whatuni
https://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=history&entry-level=a-level&entry-points=0a*-0a-2b-1c-0d-0e&rf=g&sort=r-or

Frankly of all the lower ranked unis I liked Hull for the feel but that was for a different course
Reply 6
Dundee would take you most likely. Non RG but a decent enough uni.

Tbh, don't focus on league tables. You need to go to a uni that takes your grades and have a course that you will actually enjoy etc.
Tonnes of places will take you with BBB for competitive courses like law especially if you firm or I sure them. Leicester is in clearing for BBB international relations and politics
Some courses have lower requirements than others, even at Oxbridge. However, unless you were planning to switch courses, I wouldn't do a course on that basis; better to do the best you can do in a course you want to study and aim for a first, and then do a post-grad at a more prestigious university thereafter.
Reply 9
If you're looking in London. City university is definitely the shout.

Don't be too hard pressed over UCL. While it has a prestigious reputation, they don't have the best facilities in London and their student satisfaction is on a steep decline. City university actually has the highest ever national student satisfaction score. It is a respected school and they may let you in with those grades through clearance.

University of Westminster is also a good uni from what I saw.
Original post by fg45344
Russell Group is not the be all and end all. I went to a non RG uni and did a masters at a RG uni and
now im doing a PhD at a RG uni. Essentially you can work your way up, if you get the grades and show the motivation and drive to do well.

Can confirm - I did my BA at Essex and am about to start my master's at York.
Reply 11
Honestly dont understand why some people think RG universities are the only ones worth attending.. 3 of my 5 choices were RG and i still firmed Lancaster..

Ive applied for History and went to look at many universities, Manchester and Nottingham were the least appealing to me, nor did i like York.

I did decide to visit some lower universities before i recieved my As results. I really enjoyed Lincoln, i was pleased to find passionate lecturers and the course itself is interesting! I hear stafford is a nice university too😊 good luck!
Try whatuni.com
You might find clearing places lower, Sussex for instance seem to have slashed their requirement for a lot of courses if you are looking for September, and much easier if you already have your grades.
If you get some ideas then phone the admissions Dept's and get some ideas about offers.
Its difficult to suggest because the way you view a uni is really about how you feel.

Keele might be suitable for a joint honours (or major/minor) course in English & History
Hi there, Amanda here at BCU! We're expecting to have English courses available for this September, currently at BBC (280 tariff points).
See more info here: http://www.bcu.ac.uk/english/courses?type=2&perpage=20#results

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions about studying here please let us know. Good luck :smile:
university of Nottingham foundation years. I think for english w/ a foundation year you need BCC or BBC, but it is subject to other criteria like being first gen to go to university in your family or being a refuge etc etc but it is worth looking into
try and foundation year or try and get into a ' good ' uni through clearing
Original post by Airmed
Dundee would take you most likely. Non RG but a decent enough uni.

Tbh, don't focus on league tables. You need to go to a uni that takes your grades and have a course that you will actually enjoy etc.

I highly doubt that, they ask for ABB-AAB for first year entry minimum
Can you not retake some units in at least two of your subjects in your year off. I would try and get one of the Bs to an A and the C into a B. That way you'll stand a much higher chance of being accepted into a good uni.
Reply 19
I study at Dundee. My offer was ABB for direct entry to year 2 Politics. Typical Dundee offer is BBB for first year. I also work on the clearing helplines. :yep:

edit: Dundee's English undergrad page, English being one of the subjects the OP mentioned http://www.dundee.ac.uk/study/ug/english-film-studies/#info-entry-requirements
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest