The Student Room Group

Which countries are NOT moving further to the Right?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zayn008
We're becoming more left wing now, the conservatives are moving to the centre left. If it wasn't for Cameron's austerity measures I would've said he occupied the centre left

That's true of the Conservative Party, but I was talking about people choosing to support more right-wing parties like UKIP and National Front.
Reply 21
It depends on what one means by "moving to the right". Canada, as you say, isn't moving to the right. Portugal, I believe, currently has a Left Coalition including communists in power. In Australia, it's pretty difficult for anyone to form a majority anymore. I wouldn't say the United States is moving to the right either, for reasons I'll explain below.

Various other countries have far-right parties on the rise, but that's because conservatives, as always, have admitted that their past beliefs were wrong and have adopted policies that have been long promoted by the left. Centre-right parties are highly socially liberal now, and will continue to move in that direction. As a result, we're seeing far-right parties come along who promise a return back to our "traditional values".

But, some far-right parties are not exactly economically right-wing.

So, it seems to me that we're seeing centre-left and centre-right parties (who are socially liberal and in favour of free trade, immigration and other aspects of globalization) losing support to populist parties on their left and right (the populist right being socially conservative but also more economically protectionist, and protectionism can be prevalent on the populist left too). The best example of this is in Austria, where the two frontrunners for President are Alexander van der Bellen of the Greens and Hofer of a far-right party.

There are exceptions when centre-left and centre-right parties are taken over by populists on their left and right. Jeremy Corbyn, for instance, has pulled Labour to the left, and now we're seeing the centre ground shift to the left as Theresa May's rhetoric echoes that of Labour politicians.

In the United States, Donald Trump has pulled the Republicans to the right of where they were, such that George W. Bush seems like a moderate, domestically. Clinton would have undoubtedly been pulled to the right as a result if she hadn't been herself pulled to the left by Bernie Sanders. As a result, we have a massively polarized election coming up in the United States.
(edited 7 years ago)
Canada is the only country I can think of where the left-wing is thriving. :frown: Right-wing populism, be it UKIP here or Donald Trump in the US, is becoming increasingly popular, though I think it is at least partially due to the failure of some of the left wing parties - Labour is in no state to govern here, and the same applies to the Lib Dems. The Democratic Party, meanwhile, has nominated a not-particularly-popular candidate.
Original post by WBZ144
This is coming from someone who makes excuses for anti-Muslim bigotry :lol:

The right-wing loves freedom of speech for those who agree with them, no one else. In what way are they more tolerant?

Evidence that the UK and the USA are the most tolerant countries in the world?

Countries are moving further to the right because of the newfound wave of radical leftism which has led to the unanticipated transformation of local communities, immense pressures on public services and the abandonment of traditional values which have helped shape British culture and society for decades. Europe has had enough of being the world's safe-place for victims of war and persecution, when other countries - especially ones which share common cultural values with the displaced - are sitting back and keeping quiet.

To proclaim that someone who subscribes to right-wing political alignments is racist because they care about the integrity of their country is unsubstantiated nonsense. Britain has long welcomed people from afar onto its shores as a result of war, imperialism and civil ruin; but the extent of migration, specifically from Islamic countries, is causing Europe to shift immensely to the right as first generation Muslims are not entwined with the values of freedom, democracy and tolerance. Muslim communities in Bradford, Luton and Birmingham have led to small pockets of British society failing to integrate as a cohesive unit leading to further community disharmony and a grow in racial and religious discrimination. Faith schools, for example, are a disaster. Religious isolationism, for example, is a disaster. Mass immigration, for example, is a disaster. All of the aforementioned contribute to the disengagement in British and European communities, all of which then lead to a rise in public disdain.

Europe is the most tolerant place in the world, which is evident given the extent of refugees Europe alone has accepted as oppose to countries from Asia and South America. If people from the black community believe Britain is intolerant because they hear a racial slur on the tube or because UKIP makes a derogatory comment about Africa, then perhaps you should travel to the far-East or India and see how black people are received by communities which look down on the black community because of beauty standards and the caste system. Unlike Britain, many advanced economies are overtly racist and their attitudes to multiculturalism - like in Japan or Korea - is implicitly unwelcome.

Your saying that the right only supports freedom of speech when it appeases their political bias is another example of left-wing condescension, which - by the way - is why the left lost the EU referendum and a large percentage of votes in the North and Wales to UKIP. I am right wing, but I'm not socially conservative. I subscribe to the political philosophy of libertarianism which combines free market economic theory with individual liberty. I support fact, and if fact conflicts with my political bias, then so be it. The notion that (all) those of the right advocate freedom of expression exclusively to appease their own bias is not an evidenced assumption to make.

The most socially progressive countries in the western world where right-wing populism in not on the rise is Canada or Germany. The fastest growing political movement in Germany is the AFD - who are a far-right and anti-immigration party - but it's unlikely they'll make significant gains to hurt the CDU. As a general rule, though, right wing populism is rising: the PVV are leading in the Netherlands; the FN are polling strongly in France; the Sweden Democrats have their highest vote share in history; the Danish People's Party are second in the opinion polls; the Poles have just elected a far-right Eurosceptic; Donald Trump is an American Presidential Nominee; and Austria's Freedom Party look set to win the election later this year.

Best of luck to you, anyhow.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jake4198
Countries are moving further to the right because of the newfound wave of radical leftism which has led to the unanticipated transformation of local communities, immense pressures on public services and the abandonment of traditional values which have helped shape British culture and society for decades. Europe has had enough of being the world's safe-place for victims of war and persecution, when other countries - especially ones which share common cultural values with the displaced - are sitting back and keeping quiet.

To proclaim that someone who subscribes to right-wing political alignments is racist because they care about the integrity of their country is unsubstantiated nonsense. Britain has long welcomed people from afar onto its shores as a result of war, imperialism and civil ruin; but the extent of migration, specifically from Islamic countries, is causing Europe to shift immensely to the right as first generation Muslims are not entwined with the values of freedom, democracy and tolerance. Muslim communities in Bradford, Luton and Birmingham have led to small pockets of British society failing to integrate as a cohesive unit leading to further community disharmony and a grow in racial and religious discrimination. Faith schools, for example, are a disaster. Religious isolationism, for example, is a disaster. Mass immigration, for example, is a disaster. All of the aforementioned contribute to the disengagement in British and European communities, all of which then lead to a rise in public disdain.

Europe is the most tolerant place in the world, which is evident given the extent of refugees Europe alone has accepted as oppose to countries from Asia and South America. If people from the black community believe Britain is intolerant because they hear a racial slur on the tube or because UKIP makes a derogatory comment about Africa, then perhaps you should travel to the far-East or India and see how black people are received by communities which look down on the black community because of beauty standards and the caste system. Unlike Britain, many advanced economies are overtly racist and their attitudes to multiculturalism - like in Japan or Korea - is implicitly unwelcome.

Your saying that the right only supports freedom of speech when it appeases their political bias is another example of left-wing condescension, which - by the way - is why the left lost the EU referendum and a large percentage of votes in the North and Wales to UKIP. I am right wing, but I'm not socially conservative. I subscribe to the political philosophy of libertarianism which combines free market economic theory with individual liberty. I support fact, and if fact conflicts with my political bias, then so be it. The notion that (all) those of the right advocate freedom of expression exclusively to appease their own bias is not an evidenced assumption to make.

The most socially progressive countries in the western world where right-wing populism in not on the rise is Canada or Germany. The fastest growing political movement in Germany is the AFD - who are a far-right and anti-immigration party - but it's unlikely they'll make significant gains to hurt the CDU. As a general rule, though, right wing populism is rising: the PVV are leading in the Netherlands; the FN are polling strongly in France; the Sweden Democrats have their highest vote share in history; the Danish People's Party are second in the opinion polls; the Poles have just elected a far-right Eurosceptic; Donald Trump is an American Presidential Nominee; and Austria's Freedom Party look set to win the election later this year.

Best of luck to you, anyhow.

So much nonsense in this post, I don't know where to begin.

It's flat out hypocritical to write a long post about left-wing condescension while simultaneously posting to me in a condescending tone.

a) Do you think that I'm not aware that there are countries outside of Europe have a lot of overt racism? I have spent nearly a decade of life living in the Middle East (due to parent's work), a region where you would not have the same problems due to the fact that past imperialism in the region made your skintone one that is all but worshipped. So don't you dare try and "educate" me on a topic that I most likely have heaps more knowledge of than you do. You have no idea why I was asking for evidence that the UK and the USA are the most tolerant countries in the world, so don't jump to stereotypical conclusions about me.

b) To state that European countries are the most tolerant and non-European countries are far less tolerant is a ludicrous generalisation. For starters, there are several other countries that do not include the Asian countries that you are referring to. Not to mention the fact that Austria nearly elected a fascist into government and it's common knowledge that several Central and Eastern European countries where neo-Nazis thrive are not ideal places for a POC to travel to.

c) Turkey and non-Gulf Arab countries have taken much more refugees than any European country (excluding Germany in some cases). Perhaps you should have read the stats on refugee intake before you chose to declare that Europe (an entire continent as opposed to the few countries that are taking in quite a number of asylum-seekers) are letting in more refugees than anywhere else.
Original post by WBZ144
So much nonsense in this post, I don't know where to begin.

It's flat out hypocritical to write a long post about left-wing condescension while simultaneously posting to me in a condescending tone.

a) Do you think that I'm not aware that there are countries outside of Europe have a lot of overt racism? I have spent nearly a decade of life living in the Middle East (due to parent's work), a region where you would not have the same problems due to the fact that past imperialism in the region made your skintone one that is all but worshipped. So don't you dare try and "educate" me on a topic that I most likely have heaps more knowledge of than you do. You have no idea why I was asking for evidence that the UK and the USA are the most tolerant countries in the world, so don't jump to stereotypical conclusions about me.

b) To state that European countries are the most tolerant and non-European countries are far less tolerant is a ludicrous generalisation. For starters, there are several other countries that do not include the Asian countries that you are referring to. Not to mention the fact that Austria nearly elected a fascist into government and it's common knowledge that several Central and Eastern European countries where neo-Nazis thrive are not ideal places for a POC to travel to.

c) Turkey and non-Gulf Arab countries have taken much more refugees than any European country (excluding Germany in some cases). Perhaps you should have read the stats on refugee intake before you chose to declare that Europe (an entire continent as opposed to the few countries that are taking in quite a number of asylum-seekers) are letting in more refugees than anywhere else.

It always eludes me the unending hysteria you get from people on the left when you express an opinion which conflicts with their skewed personal comprehension of geopolitics, none more so in this instance where you have resorted to emotional rhetoric to demean my post as an attack on your person even though I'm speaking from opinion which I have formed through study on the matter. Not a single aspect of my post was directed at you because of your person, but rather I was commenting on the profound disengagement modern-day leftism has with core voters and the reasons behind the newfound rise in far-right populism throughout Europe. I'm sorry if my "educating you" on the matter hurt your feelings, but the left created safe-spaces for a reason.

In discussing the overt racism that is pertinent in many Asian cultures I was using it as an analogy to contrast the differences in racial tolerance in various societal folklore. I don't know why you needed to give me a personal account of racism in the Middle East given that I said it existed in my earlier post, but if the aim of your recollection was to make me feel bad about my white* skin, then save me the rhetoric because it solves no problems. As much as you might believe the obsession with whiteness is a by-product of imperialism, in the Indian caste system for instance, people of a darker skin shade are more likely to be looked down upon because dark skin is associated with working laborious hours in manual and unskilled work.

If Britain is so racist, please give me another example of a country where you would be treat better even as an ethnic minority which is not in Europe or the west...

*I'm a Hispanic from Argentina. Mestizo mum and a white dad.
(edited 7 years ago)
It always eludes me the unending hysteria you get from people on the left when you express an opinion which conflicts with their skewed personal comprehension of geopolitics, none more so in this instance where you have resorted to emotional rhetoric to demean my post as an attack on your person even though I'm speaking from opinion which I have formed through study on the matter. Not a single aspect of my post was directed at you because of your person, but rather I was commenting on the profound disengagement modern-day leftism has with core voters and the reasons behind the newfound rise in far-right populism throughout Europe. I'm sorry if my "educating you" on the matter hurt your feelings, but the left created safe-spaces for a reason.

In discussing the overt racism that is pertinent in many Asian cultures I was using it as an analogy to contrast the differences in racial tolerance in various societal folklore. I don't know why you needed to give me a personal account of racism in the Middle East given that I said it existed in my earlier post, but if the aim of your recollection was to make me feel bad about my white* skin, then save me the rhetoric because it solves no problems. As much as you might believe the obsession with whiteness is a by-product of imperialism, in the Indian caste system for instance, people of a darker skin shade are more likely to be looked down upon because dark skin is associated with working laborious hours in manual and unskilled work.

If Britain is so racist, please give me another example of a country where you would be treat better even as an ethnic minority which is not in Europe or the west...

*I'm a Hispanic from Argentina. Mestizo mum and a white dad.

My point is that I certainly don't need you trying to "educate" me on racism in certain parts of Asia, as I would have more knowledge of the subject, having experienced it first-hand. If you do not like left-wing condescension then don't be condescending towards others.

It is incredibly stupid to lump all of Europe into the same category. I know for a fact that I would rather live in Brazil than Ukraine(for an example), where Black footballers are greeted with monkey noises whenever they go to play a game there and where neo-Nazi groups can thrive. In fact, there are few countries that I wouldn't choose over Ukraine.

More hypocrisy: accusing me of emotional rhetoric for calling you out on your patronising "you will be treated much worse anywhere else" tone then automatically assuming that I am trying to "make you feel bad about your white skin" :lol:. I was making the point that you will not have to experience what I have experienced, so don't pretend that you know more on the topic than I do.

If it wasn't directed at me, why bring Black people into the equation? And jump to the unsupported conclusion that the only reason I believe that there is still racism in the UK is because I heard a racial slur on the underground?
Original post by WBZ144
My point is that I certainly don't need you trying to "educate" me on racism in certain parts of Asia, as I would have more knowledge of the subject, having experienced it first-hand. If you do not like left-wing condescension then don't be condescending towards others.

It is incredibly stupid to lump all of Europe into the same category. I know for a fact that I would rather live in Brazil than Ukraine(for an example), where Black footballers are greeted with monkey noises whenever they go to play a game there and where neo-Nazi groups can thrive. In fact, there are few countries that I wouldn't choose over Ukraine.

More hypocrisy: accusing me of emotional rhetoric for calling you out on your patronising "you will be treated much worse anywhere else" tone then automatically assuming that I am trying to "make you feel bad about your white skin" :lol:. I was making the point that you will not have to experience what I have experienced, so don't pretend that you know more on the topic than I do.

If it wasn't directed at me, why bring Black people into the equation? And jump to the unsupported conclusion that the only reason I believe that there is still racism in the UK is because I heard a racial slur on the underground?

If you're accusing me of condescension for reiterating a sad truth about racial discrimination from afar, even though it's a reality that you accept, then fine. However, my mentioning race was more to do with its popular position with traditional far right conservatism and my using it as an example was a way for me to convey my point that (western) Europe is still the most tolerant place in the world for people wishing to settle from different backgrounds and cultures.

Even though you used Brazil as an example of a country that you'd rather reside in over Ukraine, Brazil is still an incredibly racist society with the wealth gap between whites and blacks being significantly higher than that seen in the US. Brazil is a much more racist society than the United States.

Britain is one of the most tolerant society's in the western world. With the exception of western Europe and Canada, you and I both know you would face heightened levels of racial discrimination in other parts of the world.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by WBZ144

Sorry to break it to you, but you are xenophobic. How can you justify your dislike and negative remarks about Ukraine? You talk about racist incidents against black footballers like they are exclusive to Ukraine. Racist incidents like this occur all over Europe, including in the big leagues of Spain and Italy. Ukrainians actually have a reputation for their kindness and many Ukrainians would be offended by your remarks about their country.
If you're accusing me of condescension for reiterating a sad truth about racial discrimination from afar, even though it's a reality that you accept, then fine. However, my mentioning race was more to do with its popular position with traditional far right conservatism and my using it as an example was a way for me to convey my point that (western) Europe is still the most tolerant place in the world for people wishing to settle from different backgrounds and cultures.

Even though you used Brazil as an example of a country that you'd rather reside in over Ukraine, Brazil is still an incredibly racist society with the wealth gap between whites and blacks being significantly higher than that seen in the US. Brazil is a much more racist society than the United States.

Britain is one of the most tolerant society's in the western world. With the exception of western Europe and Canada, you and I both know you would face heightened levels of racial discrimination in other parts of the world.

I notice that you totally ignore countries in Africa and the Caribbean, like they are irrelevant. I did not say that I want to move to Brazil specifically, I used it as an example of one of many countries where I would choose to live over Ukraine. My point wasn't even that I was looking to escape racism; nowhere is perfect for living. Rather, it was that it makes no sense to lump all Western or European countries and non-Western countries into the same category, as though they are all the same.

Being more tolerant than many other countries doesn't mean that there are no legitimate concerns of racism that are not limited to hearing a racial slur in the underground (as you patronisingly implied). I also did not acknowledge most of what you said as the truth, you are whitewashing the clear condescension in your previous posts.

Nevertheless; I have always acknowledged that Britain is quite tolerant, despite this presence of racism. That being said, I do not at all believe that this tolerance can continue to exist under right-wing rule and that is the big difference. That is why there was an upsurge in hate crime after the Brexit and a halal butcher's in the town where my mum lives was firebombed a few days later.
Original post by ATW1
Sorry to break it to you, but you are xenophobic. How can you justify your dislike and negative remarks about Ukraine? You talk about racist incidents against black footballers like they are exclusive to Ukraine. Racist incidents like this occur all over Europe, including in the big leagues of Spain and Italy. Ukrainians actually have a reputation for their kindness and many Ukrainians would be offended by your remarks about their country.

Learn the meaning of xenophobia: where did I say anything negative about Ukrainian people? If I meet a Ukrainian, it's not as though I am going to make automatic assumptions about him or her. Nevertheless, it's not exactly a secret that racism is quite widespread in the country, so don't blame me for saying that a country where Black men have been beaten in the streets is not the ideal location for a POC. Is someone who points out the reality of what it is like for women in Pakistan also an xenophobe, because many Pakistanis are good people?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
This is coming from someone who makes excuses for anti-Muslim bigotry :lol:

The right-wing loves freedom of speech for those who agree with them, no one else. In what way are they more tolerant?

Evidence that the UK and the USA are the most tolerant countries in the world?

There could be no greater evidence than the current Pres. campaign here in the U.S.. I'm quite sure we have vary different definitions of what is left and what is right wing, but using U.S. parameters, it is the left that consistently wants any opinion other than theirs totally shut down. Every left wing group from the violent, undisciplined, Black Lives Matter, itself a conglomerate of anarchists and sincere civil rights sympathizers, to the more subdued Hollywood, save-the- trees-and-puppies type, are not just demonstrating against Donald Trumps opinions,but are violently trying to shut his rallies down. Where are the voices from the right calling for these demonstrations to be prohibited? There are none. The most you will hear is for the police to stop the violence. However, if the Gov., or any group was to try and silence these whack jobs it would be the right wing, ( myself included ), who would be defending their right of Freedom of Speech. It has to apply to ALL individuals and ALL groups. Especially those whose words offend. If you live in a truly free society and are offended by anyones words, instead of trying to have their opinions banned, you are expected to rise above the offense and use your Freedom Of Speech to discredit them.
Original post by ATW1
I gave you evidence and you have rejected it because it isn't what you want to hear. Classic leftist behaviour.

Couldn't of said it better myself 😄
Leftists always take the moral high ground when someone doesn't agree with them. They also turn rather nasty, resorting to branding the target with insults such as a lack of intelligence or education, which is rather bigoted on their end, it's typical of their behaviour. To put it rather bluntly, they think their **** don't stink, they think their better then everyone else because they care about "the little man", rubbish.
Australia

Uruguay

Chile

Mexico

Singapore

Hong Kong

Taiwan

New Zealand

Myanmar

Denmark

Colombia

Costa Rica

And so on.

The world has many more than the 10 countries you know about.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Australia

Uruguay

Chile

Mexico

Singapore

Hong Kong

Taiwan

New Zealand

Myanmar

Denmark

Colombia

Costa Rica

And so on.

Australia? The country where the right-wing Coalition had a recent win?

Denmark? The country that went from the Social Democratic Party to Venstre ?

I may not be familiar with the governments of all of those countries but it looks like you just picked random countries, thinking that I would know nothing of the political situation in any of them.
Original post by DauntlessOne
Couldn't of said it better myself 😄

*couldn't have :h:
Original post by oldercon1953
There could be no greater evidence than the current Pres. campaign here in the U.S.. I'm quite sure we have vary different definitions of what is left and what is right wing, but using U.S. parameters, it is the left that consistently wants any opinion other than theirs totally shut down. Every left wing group from the violent, undisciplined, Black Lives Matter, itself a conglomerate of anarchists and sincere civil rights sympathizers, to the more subdued Hollywood, save-the- trees-and-puppies type, are not just demonstrating against Donald Trumps opinions,but are violently trying to shut his rallies down. Where are the voices from the right calling for these demonstrations to be prohibited? There are none. The most you will hear is for the police to stop the violence. However, if the Gov., or any group was to try and silence these whack jobs it would be the right wing, ( myself included ), who would be defending their right of Freedom of Speech. It has to apply to ALL individuals and ALL groups. Especially those whose words offend. If you live in a truly free society and are offended by anyones words, instead of trying to have their opinions banned, you are expected to rise above the offense and use your Freedom Of Speech to discredit them.

Black Lives Matter isn't a group.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Australia

Uruguay

Chile

Mexico

Singapore

Hong Kong

Taiwan

New Zealand

Myanmar

Denmark

Colombia

Costa Rica

And so on.

Not many western countries there.
Original post by WBZ144
Black Lives Matter isn't a group.

They may not have a Charter and a mission statement but they most certainly are a, " group". Their standards for acceptance are pretty low. All you need do to join is scrawl, " black lives matter ", on a piece of cardboard and you too can call for the death of policemen and if your lucky you can join the next group obama invites to the White House.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending