The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Reading University Pharmacy

Hi everyone,
This thread is for students who have got conditional (or unconditional) places at Reading University to study pharmacy. A space to discuss the university as a whole, issues/concerns and your experience as a Reading applicant!

Views from CURRENT Reading pharmacy students are also welcome because it will be great to hear your opinions, the good/ bad points about the uni and most importantly your tips on how to succeed.

Prospective students:
1) Is your offer conditional or unconditional?
2) Grades you need to get:
3) Is Reading your firm?

Thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Misssyeda01
Hi everyone,This thread is for students who have got conditional (or unconditional) places at Reading University to study pharmacy.

I have moved your thread to the university's own forum. :smile:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Original post by Misssyeda01
Hi everyone,
This thread is for students who have got conditional (or unconditional) places at Reading University to study pharmacy. A space to discuss the university as a whole, issues/concerns and your experience as a Reading applicant!

Views from CURRENT Reading pharmacy students are also welcome because it will be great to hear your opinions, the good/ bad points about the uni and most importantly your tips on how to succeed.

Prospective students:
1) Is your offer conditional or unconditional?
2) Grades you need to get:
3) Is Reading your firm?

Thank you!

Hey just saw your post.

I managed to get an unconditional offer from them as I am a gap year student, got 3 B's back in 2013 and yes Reading is my firm.
Reply 3
Hi everyone

I just got an unconditional offer for the university of pharmacy, and it is my firm choice. I have a few questions :

- as I am a French student I was wondering if it would be a problem for me because of the brexit

- if I want to work outside the uk do I need to do the pre reg year ?

- how are the studies organized ? ( exams, tests...) when and how hard is it because I have no idea what to expect

Thankyou very much for your attention
Original post by Ouidad
Hi everyone

I just got an unconditional offer for the university of pharmacy, and it is my firm choice. I have a few questions :

- as I am a French student I was wondering if it would be a problem for me because of the brexit

- how are the studies organized ? ( exams, tests...) when and how hard is it because I have no idea what to expect

Hi! I have a conditional offer for pharmacy at UoR and I am an EU student.

Brexit won't cause us any problem. The process of leaving the EU hasn't even begun.

You need to ask the organisation which is responsible in France for the recognition of university degrees that are awarded by foreign Higher Education Institutions whether they accept the MPharm without the pre reg year and the licensing examination in order to be considered as a fully accredited pharmacist in France.

Hope I helped you
Original post by Ouidad
Hi everyone

Hello!

Congratulations on the unconditional offer, that is amazing news! :smile:

Currently, there are no changes to finances or to immigration status for EU students studying at the University of Reading in September 2017 as a result of Brexit. For more information, here is the link to the University website with information for EU students: http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/international-and-eu/eu-referendum-info-for-eu-nationals.aspx

My housemate studies Pharmacy and is really enjoying it. In your first year, you have 3 modules (pharmacy, biology and chemistry) of which you have to achieve a 40% pass mark in each module. You also will have various tests throughout the year, a Pharmaceutical calculations test (you get lots of mock exams for this and the ability to resit throughout the year) and in Spring term you have an exam which includes dispensing, prescriptions and lab skills.

Each week you will have tutorials, lectures, workshops and practical sessions (where you are able to put to use your screening and prescription dispensing skills, for this you wear smart dress). Your timetable may be 9-6 some days (with a 1 hour lunch break) but this will change each week so is often less.

At Reading, the course is very integrated, so you cover all aspects of pharmacy such as Pharmacology and Pharmaceutics.

As regards to the pre-registration course, I am unsure but I will get back to you on an answer as soon as I find out!

Hope this all helps you and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Alice :h:
2nd Year Food Science Student
Original post by UniofReading
Hello!

Congratulations on the unconditional offer, that is amazing news! :smile:

Currently, there are no changes to finances or to immigration status for EU students studying at the University of Reading in September 2017 as a result of Brexit. For more information, here is the link to the University website with information for EU students: http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/international-and-eu/eu-referendum-info-for-eu-nationals.aspx

My housemate studies Pharmacy and is really enjoying it. In your first year, you have 3 modules (pharmacy, biology and chemistry) of which you have to achieve a 40% pass mark in each module. You also will have various tests throughout the year, a Pharmaceutical calculations test (you get lots of mock exams for this and the ability to resit throughout the year) and in Spring term you have an exam which includes dispensing, prescriptions and lab skills.

Each week you will have tutorials, lectures, workshops and practical sessions (where you are able to put to use your screening and prescription dispensing skills, for this you wear smart dress). Your timetable may be 9-6 some days (with a 1 hour lunch break) but this will change each week so is often less.

At Reading, the course is very integrated, so you cover all aspects of pharmacy such as Pharmacology and Pharmaceutics.

As regards to the pre-registration course, I am unsure but I will get back to you on an answer as soon as I find out!

Hope this all helps you and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you Alice for the information provided regarding the MPharm course.
i would like to ask if there are research opportunities within the pharmacy department for mpharm undergrads and if we have placements during our studies.

Thank you in advance
Original post by asp.pharm
Thank you Alice for the information provided regarding the MPharm course.
i would like to ask if there are research opportunities within the pharmacy department for mpharm undergrads and if we have placements during our studies.

Thank you in advance

Hello - no problem! :smile:
In answer to your previous question about working in the UK, I suggest asking the pharmacy department directly as the information I have found is unclear. Here is the link where you can do this: https://www.reading.ac.uk/Forms/question.aspx

You do have placements throughout the year - integrated within your degree at hospitals and community pharmacies. More information about the placements can be found here: http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/pharmacy-ug/mpharm-pharmacy.aspx

With regard to research opportunities available for undergraduates, this varies depending on the department so I am unsure for pharmacy. You might like to contact your pharmacy undergraduate admissions tutor: Dr Barnaby Greenland. His e-mail is [email protected] as he will be able to give you more information.

Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions then feel free to ask!

Reply 8
Hello! Anyone who had a experience took a MPharm Pharmarcy on-line Assessment to get an offer from U of Reading? And any advice please..
Original post by Brian Kim
Hello! Anyone who had a experience took a MPharm Pharmarcy on-line Assessment to get an offer from U of Reading? And any advice please..

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your question, I don't study Pharmacy myself but I am in contact with a current Pharmacy student so I will give you an answer when I know!

Let us know if you have anymore questions!

Food Science Placement Student
When applying for pharmacy in the ucas form it said that reading university had an own intuition test what is this test and how can I prepare ?
Original post by safaabdi
When applying for pharmacy in the ucas form it said that reading university had an own intuition test what is this test and how can I prepare ?

Heyyy I had the same question and it turns out it’s not an acc test but more like an interview and there’s like a small pharmaceutical based maths test but nothing important that you need to study for. You can call up the admissions team to clarify it further. Hope that helped

Quick Reply

Latest