The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Team yellow where are you!

Spoiler

I haven't played Pokemon in years but I decided to get Pokemon go today. I'm on level three, there's nothing near me but I'm going Birmingham tomorrow so I'm hoping for lots of Pokestops. Any tips? What team should I join at level 5 (I think there's a gym 15 minutes walk from me actually...)
Had an amazring haul at lunch today :dance:

Got a Slowpoke (@Slowbro93) a Psyduck, a Meowth, loads of voltorbs, an electrode, loads of magenemite, a magnetron, a nidorina, a krabby, a growlithe, a magikarp (:love:), and a horsea

Should I focus of evolving my pokemon now or should I wait? Should I max out their CP or before evolving or not bother?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Got a Slowpoke (@Slowbro93) a Psyduck, a Meowth, loads of voltorbs, an electrode, loads of magenemite, a magnetron, a nidorina, a krabby, a growlithe, a magikarp (:love:), and a horsea

Should I focus of evolving my pokemon now or should I wait? Should I max out their CP or before evolving or not bother?

Save evolving to do loads at once with a lucky egg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would max out CP first, but definitely get round to evolving them. Why wait?
Original post by jakesidhu
I haven't played Pokemon in years but I decided to get Pokemon go today. I'm on level three, there's nothing near me but I'm going Birmingham tomorrow so I'm hoping for lots of Pokestops. Any tips? What team should I join at level 5 (I think there's a gym 15 minutes walk from me actually...)

Team Yellow is the only right choice.
Original post by jakesidhu
I would max out CP first, but definitely get round to evolving them. Why wait?

There is no point in leveling them up when you're only going to get better ones tomorrow, upgrading just wastes stardust and candies.

Similarly waiting means you can build up for mass evolution with the double xp of a lucky egg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
There is no point in leveling them up when you're only going to get better ones tomorrow, upgrading just wastes stardust and candies.

Similarly waiting means you can build up for mass evolution with the double xp of a lucky egg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbf if you're patient then I guess playing the long game makes sense but there's literally nothing where I live so I just do what I can with what I have.
999 call about a stolen Pokémon. Makes that Rage Against The X-Factor look small

I need to find somewhere that has electric Pokemon, the only one I have so far is Jolteon.

I'm evolving loads of Pidgeys, Weedles and Rattatas because the candy is easily replaced, but I'm just using stardust to power up my strongest Pokemon.*
Had a pretty productive walk to work today. Caught a Magmar, a Mr Mime, and almost a Squirtle, but that ran. All I normally get along my route to work is Pidgeys and Weedles.

Hatched my 2nd 10km egg since I started playing, and for the 2nd time got an Eevee, which sucks. But it did allow me to evolve it into a Jolteon. I have that and Flareon now.
I have downloaded it but it does not start at all. has anyone experienced the same problem?
Original post by Cll_ws
Had a pretty productive walk to work today. Caught a Magmar, a Mr Mime, and almost a Squirtle, but that ran. All I normally get along my route to work is Pidgeys and Weedles.

Hatched my 2nd 10km egg since I started playing, and for the 2nd time got an Eevee, which sucks. But it did allow me to evolve it into a Jolteon. I have that and Flareon now.

Eevees are surprisingly good in this game. When you evolve a Pokemon it usually approximately doubles the cp. Buy with eevees it approximately triples so eevees are good Pokemon to get
Was on a pokemon hunt with the squad today and some random woman walked past us shouting 'everyone who plays that stupid Pokemon Go game has a sad life'. imo it's a very good and smart game, as it gets kids to exercise in a fun way, but each to their own, let's just stick to candy crush.Anyway, managed to catch so many today. Horsea, Magikarp, Nidoran female and male, Bellsprout, Staryu, and the pokemon i'm most proud of .. Aerodactyl!
Original post by Fleming1928
Was on a pokemon hunt with the squad today and some random woman walked past us shouting 'everyone who plays that stupid Pokemon Go game has a sad life'. imo it's a very good and smart game, as it gets kids to exercise in a fun way, but each to their own, let's just stick to candy crush.Anyway, managed to catch so many today. Horsea, Magikarp, Nidoran female and male, Bellsprout, Staryu, and the pokemon i'm most proud of .. Aerodactyl!

Jealousssss

I've just been focusing on powerleveling for now, spent 3 hours cycling around pokestops in my local park today and got up to level 17.5 :headbang:

I'd just focus on gathering pidgeys, caterpies and weedles as they only need 12 candies to evolve, also zubats. Store them all up until you have around 160 candies of each, plus 10-15 of each pokemon in your bag. Pop a lucky egg and then evolve everything within that 30 minutes of double xp, each evolution will be 1k experience and you shoot right up - its the most efficient way to level! :woo:

A 30 minute evolving stint with a lucky egg can easily net you 40-50k experience, and you get given new eggs at certain levels so you can hop from threshold to threshold, only being held back by needing to collect all the pokemon and candies beforehand :awesome:

Once you've hit a high trainer level (around 15+) you'll start to see naturally-high pokemon in the wild, like 500 CP and above - catching those will mean you spend less resources on leveling up weaker pokemon caught back when you were level 5-10, I've only just started to power up pokemon and I'm level 17

edit: re: powering up pokemon before or after evolving them... I have no idea would love to know if anyone's experimented! It seems evolving increases CP by a multiple of the original pokemon's CP, influenced by whether its a 12, 25 or 50 candy evolution.. part of me thinks we should be powering up pokemon to their caps before evolving them for the greatest multiple, but I'm not sure :beard:
(edited 7 years ago)
Boyfriend and I went out to poke hunt today too (sun seems to have got us all out*:tongue:) caught some goodies - Sandshrew, Jigglypuff, Jynx, Cubone and Squirtle! Also managed to finally evolve a Fearow with all those damn Spearow candies aha and evolved a Polywhirl.

My actual Pokemon haul today (including a million pidgeys etc) was just over 60 :tongue:*
Started the day level 10, ending the day 2000 XP short of level 15 :colone:

Yaaaaaaaas :colonhash:*
Original post by Architecture-er
Jealousssss

I've just been focusing on powerleveling for now, spent 3 hours cycling around pokestops in my local park today and got up to level 17.5 :headbang:

Wow that's amazing! :biggrin: Also a good way to hatch eggs. If it makes you feel better this is the first time I caught some interesting pokemon instead of the common ones. I went to my nearest large city because there is just nothing where I live, the closest poke-stop next to my house is 30 minutes away, and it's the only one. I also wasted all of my poke-bals on weedles, zumbats and rattatas so whilst I was just beginning my hunt today I missed out on a meowth, jynx, eevee and a tentacruel :frown:
Original post by Fleming1928
Wow that's amazing! :biggrin: Also a good way to hatch eggs. If it makes you feel better this is the first time I caught some interesting pokemon instead of the common ones. I went to my nearest large city because there is just nothing where I live, the closest poke-stop next to my house is 30 minutes away, and it's the only one. I also wasted all of my poke-bals on weedles, zumbats and rattatas so whilst I was just beginning my hunt today I missed out on a meowth, jynx, eevee and a tentacruel :frown:

I feel your pain, my nearest pokestop is 5 minutes walk away but its a water tower, not something you can hang out at easily! I've been taking day trips into the city parks and city centre to collect resources as well :lol:
Original post by Architecture-er
I'd just focus on gathering pidgeys, caterpies and weedles as they only need 12 candies to evolve, also zubats. Store them all up until you have around 160 candies of each, plus 10-15 of each pokemon in your bag. Pop a lucky egHug and then evolve everything within that 30 minutes of double xp, each evolution will be 1k experience and you shoot right up - its the most efficient way to level! :woo:

A 30 minute evolving stint with a lucky egg can easily net you 40-50k experience, and you get given new eggs at certain levels so you can hop from threshold to threshold, only being held back by needing to collect all the pokemon and candies beforehand :awesome:

Once you've hit a high trainer level (around 15+) you'll start to see naturally-high pokemon in the wild, like 500 CP and above - catching those will mean you spend less resources on leveling up weaker pokemon caught back when you were level 5-10, I've only just started to power up pokemon and I'm level 17

edit: re: powering up pokemon before or after evolving them... I have no idea would love to know if anyone's experimented! It seems evolving increases CP by a multiple of the original pokemon's CP, influenced by whether its a 12, 25 or 50 candy evolution.. part of me thinks we should be powering up pokemon to their caps before evolving them for the greatest multiple, but I'm not sure :beard:

The maximum cp is the same for the same pokemon. You can see this by looking at your multiple pidgeots and raticates which you no dout have by now. So no it won't make a difference

Quick Reply

Latest