Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I was an online catfish for 10 years, but I quit it this year. AMA

Why? What led you to do this?
I was an online catfish for 10 years, but I quit it this year. AMA

How was the worms? Tasty?
why? i find it the most pathetic thing in the world..
Reply 4
Original post by Joshhh
Why? What led you to do this?

I can't pinpoint an exact reason why I became a catfish, but I guess it started because as a kid I had a lot of random people on MSN and I saw the Internet as a place where you can be anybody and so I'd come home from school/after school activities and come online and talk to different people as someone else. It was a form of escapism from the real world, I believe.

Even now, other than Insta, I don't mix my real self online with people I know irl, I think that's so boring and seperate the two.

So essentially, when I catfished, I viewed the Internet as a place to meet new people as someone else and it was exciting.
Reply 5
I can't pinpoint an exact reason why I became a catfish, but I guess it started because as a kid I had a lot of random people on MSN and I saw the Internet as a place where you can be anybody and so I'd come home from school/after school activities and come online and talk to different people as someone else. It was a form of escapism from the real world, I believe.

Even now, other than Insta, I don't mix my real self online with people I know irl, I think that's so boring and seperate the two.

So essentially, when I catfished, I viewed the Internet as a place to meet new people as someone else and it was exciting.

Would you say the real you is insecure on that basis? Or are you actually quite happy and confident about who you are as a person in real life?
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
why did you stop EW ?

I stopped catfishing because I fell out with the last person who knew my catfish persona and we cut each other off and I had no interest in getting to know anyone new, it takes too long and it's exhausting tbh.

The other people I've catfished were no longer in my life either.
you must feel absolutely disgusted with yourself, huh?
Reply 8
So was your dad a cat and your mum a fish or the other way around
Reply 9
Original post by Joshhh
Would you say the real you is insecure on that basis? Or are you actually quite happy and confident about who you are as a person in real life?

I was v insecure as a kid and a teen due to bad experiences at school. Up until the latter years of my catfishing, I didn't make much effort with my real self, like I didn't use FB or anything. It was quite odd phasing out my real life and giving all of my energy to the catfishing stuff.

I became much more happier and confident in myself when I started uni, when you really get to start over irl and 'find yourself'.
Why did you catfish?
Original post by sleepysnooze
you must feel absolutely disgusted with yourself, huh?

No tbh, I loved living a secret life that way but I don't have the time or energy for it anymore.
Original post by ckfeister
How was the worms? Tasty?

You know it.
Original post by loveleest
Why did you catfish?

See my previous answers.
Did you develop any feelings with people you met? Like did you want to reveal your feelings for them as well as telling them that you are a catfish?
Reply 15
I was v insecure as a kid and a teen due to bad experiences at school. Up until the latter years of my catfishing, I didn't make much effort with my real self, like I didn't use FB or anything. It was quite odd phasing out my real life and giving all of my energy to the catfishing stuff.

I became much more happier and confident in myself when I started uni, when you really get to start over irl and 'find yourself'.

cheers for the answers, very insightful!
Hmm, I wouldn't mind being a goldfish for a while, but I'm no good at swimming :frown:
Did the people find out you catfished them?
Original post by Zargabaath
I don't like it when people make baseless accusations about my friends, especially when they're not around to defend themselves.

Who are you referring to?

Any more questions?
I still catfish. Because I'm a pathological liar and see no reason to be honest or 'true to myself'. Not even sure what that is. There is no self, beyond some vague reflection of that around me. An actor. A shallow existence, perhaps, but mine all the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending