The Student Room Group

general ALevel advice

hi
I will be starting my A levels in September, at the moment I am planning to do biology, psychology and physics. I was wondering if anybody could offer me any general advice, maybe about what I could be doing to give myself a head start ? I have got a biology text book which I have been looking through which has given me an idea of what topics I will be studying.
btw the exam boards for all 3 courses are AQA
For biology try and get out of the GCSE habit of just memorising content for the exam. The majority of questions require analysis and suggestions based off your knowledge. other than that bio isn't very hard its just the volume of content is huge. For physics make sure you understand the concepts but then start doing loads of exam questions. This will test your understanding much more than simply going over the content. Id didn't do psychology so cant help with that unfortunately.
Original post by lucy Jane.f
hi
I will be starting my A levels in September, at the moment I am planning to do biology, psychology and physics. I was wondering if anybody could offer me any general advice, maybe about what I could be doing to give myself a head start ? I have got a biology text book which I have been looking through which has given me an idea of what topics I will be studying.

Yeah just read textbooks go over anything that you didnt understand at GCSE
Reply 3
Original post by HopelessMedic
For biology try and get out of the GCSE habit of just memorising content for the exam. The majority of questions require analysis and suggestions based off your knowledge. other than that bio isn't very hard its just the volume of content is huge. For physics make sure you understand the concepts but then start doing loads of exam questions. This will test your understanding much more than simply going over the content. Id didn't do psychology so cant help with that unfortunately.

thanks. are there any good websites you can recommend?
Reply 4
Original post by LPauling
Yeah just read textbooks go over anything that you didnt understand at GCSE
thanks
Reply 5
biology is no longer a memory test ; if you don't understand it then just quit and do another subject . I did good for gcse but ended up with a U in the jan mocks so had to quit so just be honest with yourself
Reply 6
Original post by lucy Jane.f
hi

psychology is basically a memory test, and research methods especially requires you to learn definitions e.g. what is meant by validity so its easy to get the marks :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest