The Student Room Group

I was a catfish for 10 years. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joseph72602
What's life like now? Have you been in any real relationships since? Do you feel you'd enjoy catfishing more than a real relationship?

Life is good now for my actual self. I graduate in Sept and starting my career now so things are working out in that sense. As for relationships, I don't have any interest. I'm emotionally shallow and people are not worth the energy.

I feel like my catfishing relationships have made me much more vigilant even though i was the deceptive one, just because the people I got close to ended up ****ing me over. I also don't trust others since I'm not trustworthy myself, and in the end no one ever stays anyway, people literally just use each other until they get bored.
EW are the initials of a TSR member who was permabanned not long ago.
Original post by Anonymous
Life is good now for my actual self. I graduate in Sept and starting my career now so things are working out in that sense. As for relationships, I don't have any interest. I'm emotionally shallow and people are not worth the energy.

I feel like my catfishing relationships have made me much more vigilant even though i was the deceptive one, just because the people I got close to ended up ****ing me over. I also don't trust others since I'm not trustworthy myself, and in the end no one ever stays anyway, people literally just use each other until they get bored.

So did you ever have thoughts of marrying and having your own family? And if you did I'd assume you don't care about that now?
I know there were times when I did break their hearts, but eventually I pushed all of them to the point where they no longer gave a f.u.c.k about me and they retaliated by getting with someone new. They hurt me back and things ended on bad terms with all of them and they made it quite clear that they got over me.

When I had a "thing" with people, they were long term and so I couldn't stop what I loved to do.

I was going to stop after it ended with a girl I catfished for 2 years and we loved each other but because nothing ever progressed, things turned sour and she ended up sleeping with some guy before we ended properly.
Then after her, another girl came back into my life (just friends) who I knew for about 3-4 years but we drifted. We became really close again, but ended cutting each other off after 6 months, which was in January. A month after that, I stopped using any of my catfish social media because she was the last person who I knew.

You inspire me to stay off social media and online in general. Thank you for your example. It seemed to be a big part of your life, I don't want that to be the case with me anymore. I was involved with a psychopath online for 6 months before I ended it, that hurt me like hell. Then I got consumed in TSR, I don't want to look forward to stuff online more than my real life. So thank you, you've opened my eyes to how bad it can get. I'm glad I've never catfished anyone, I couldn't as I'm too nice and honest of a person but your story warns me of how much one could prefer online experience to real life.
1. Do you think you'll ever do it again- why or why not?
2. Have you ever been catfished yourself? If so, how did it make you feel?
3. If a friend/family member was doing it, would you encourage them to stop?
4. What has been your best experience with it so far/ your best memory from catfishing?
5. How to tell if someone is catfishing you?

1. No, because my real life had to take more priority when I started uni and I don't have the time/energy to be a catfish now. Also, I don't have a network of anyone who knows my ex-catfish. I still have the twitter account and it has 500 followers but I didn't speak to anyone new on there. Everyone I knew who I had any sort of connection with are out of my life completely and it's exhausting getting to know new people again, that's why I gave it up. However, In its prime, I loved doing it.

2. I doubt so. Anyone I ever been close to shared a lot about their life and I knew their irl friends, etc. I'd have known if anyone was catfishing me simply because of how long I had done it, it would've been obvious to me.

3. I wouldn't judge anyone else for catfishing or discourage them, but I would tell them to be vigilant and to not get caught up with anyone too deep.
Recently, I've seen on twitter that this model was sending selfie requests to the people who steal her pictures, so that they could catfish their apparent sugar daddies. I thought that was hilarious and so cool that the real girl was helping them.

4. The best thing I gained from catfishing was the friendship I had with a particular person. We ended up cutting each other off but she was my absolute favourite person and I'll never forget her.
I also learnt a lot in terms of being able to read other people. Like.. they always did or said whatever I thought they would. People just became really predictable.

5. If someone's catfishing, the most obvious thing is that they won't meet you and will make any excuse or conversation change to avoid it. They might also avoid phone calls and probably won't ever mention their friends/have irl friends on their social media or anything.
Someone I catfished was obsessed with taking pictures of everything and so she'd randomly ask me to take a picture of what I was doing at that moment and I'd have to delay it. That's another thing to look out for.

Good questions! Hope this helps you.
Original post by Joseph72602
So did you ever have thoughts of marrying and having your own family? And if you did I'd assume you don't care about that now?

I'm actually much more optimistic about that now, more than I ever was. Whilst I was catfishing, I hated the thought of marriage because it would have to be to someone I can't catfish, but now I feel like it all could happen. I'd want it to be in the latter years of my 20s, though. I love being independent and I wouldn't be able to deal with having someone else influence my life right now because I just want to focus on my career instead of them.
Cats eat fish and fish like water while cats don't.
Was it difficult living with these obvious splits in your personality?
Original post by Defraction
Can we be friends???????????? Loool it sounds so dodgy. Pm if you want:smile:

Depends which version of me you want to be friends with. :wink:
But really, this is random asf haha. Why? Out of curiosity. :smile:
Original post by dancing sloth
Cats eat fish and fish like water while cats don't.
Was it difficult living with these obvious splits in your personality?

Yes, it was difficult because I didn't just deceive other people, I played myself time and time again by getting caught up in a world that I could never have outside of my own mind. It used to eat away at me.

These lyrics describe the way my life was:

And I'll never go home again
(Place the call, feel it start)
Favorite friend
(And nothing's wrong but nothing's true)
I live in a hologram with you
Where all the things that we do for fun
(And I'll breathe, and it goes)
Play along
(Make believe, it's hyper real)
But I live in a hologram with you

and:

Who are you?
Are you in touch with all of your darkest fantasies?
Have you created a life for yourself where you can experience them?
I have. I am ****ing crazy.
But I am free.
Original post by Eternalflames
You inspire me to stay off social media and online in general. Thank you for your example. It seemed to be a big part of your life, I don't want that to be the case with me anymore. I was involved with a psychopath online for 6 months before I ended it, that hurt me like hell. Then I got consumed in TSR, I don't want to look forward to stuff online more than my real life. So thank you, you've opened my eyes to how bad it can get. I'm glad I've never catfished anyone, I couldn't as I'm too nice and honest of a person but your story warns me of how much one could prefer online experience to real life.

You are welcome.:smile:

I didn't intend to get so involved with people the way I did, but yeah one thing leads to another and it's difficult to break the habit.

That's good that you're aware, stay vigilant!
Your life goes where your time goes where your attention goes.
Did your mother not love you enough or love you too much?
Original post by Zerforax
Did your mother not love you enough or love you too much?

Not enough, we've never said those words to each other.
Original post by IYGB
Did you catch any mice?

Only on Tuesdays.
If you got into a (real) relationship now, would you tell them that you were a catfish for 10 years? :smile:
Original post by Poooky
If you got into a (real) relationship now, would you tell them that you were a catfish for 10 years? :smile:

Hahaha, no! I can't even post this off anonymous, let alone tell anyone irl.
Also, I'm female and I was a boy catfish, so I don't think a future guy I date would react well to that.
Do you not think you should seek a therapist or possibly even a psychiatrist to talk about your state of mind?
Hahaha, no! I can't even post this off anonymous, let alone tell anyone irl.
Also, I'm female and I was a boy catfish, so I don't think a future guy I date would react well to that.

Haha fair enough! But not even when you're several years into the relationship? Or do you think it's something you'll never bring up irl, with anyone?

Thanks for the answers :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
EW are the initials of a TSR member who was permabanned not long ago.

Ethereal World?
Was that a fake account...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Do you not think you should seek a therapist or possibly even a psychiatrist to talk about your state of mind?

I did think about it over the years, but that can only help to an extent.
One of the people I catfished spent thousands of pounds on therapy due to things that happened in her past and her mental health issues and it hardly changed anything. Therapy does not fix you.

Imo I've done well to have let go and completely removed it from my life without needing to confide in anyone.

Ultimately it's down to the person them self to deal with and get over the issues inside their mind.
Original post by Poooky
Haha fair enough! But not even when you're several years into the relationship? Or do you think it's something you'll never bring up irl, with anyone?

Thanks for the answers :smile:

I could never trust anyone knowing this and I'll never get close to telling anyone irl. I'd be as naive as the people who I catfished if I went and told someone about these years of secrecy.

People who I used to think I could trust with my life have betrayed me too much for me not to believe that someone would hold this against me if things ever turned sour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending