The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Whoknowswhy
Wow you are starting early. After 3 or 4 weeks it will start doing your head in so don't spend month on it. What you are doing is exactly how I did my prep. Untimely practice on 1000q because the questions tend to be slightly harder than the average Ukcat question. And then Medify for practice.

Personally I would start by doing untimed practice on official Ukcat website too just so you get a feel for the questions and your weaker points before you start preparing properly.

I'm gonna be revising until august 15th because im going on holiday after that so I won't get time to revise in between and then will continue revision for 2 weeks when I'm back from my trip. So 4 weeks altogether. Thanks for the advice! How did your test go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by G.name
It's just that I think we're in uncharted terrain. This is the first cohort to have only 4 sub-tests examined. I think that may have affected averages because, now, each person has more time to attend each section in their prep.

Another reason is, I thought I did terribly. Literally, I was on the verge to tears, in the exam. And miraculously, I seemed to have done fine. Doesn't add up. What do you think?

G

Naaaaaah DA was easy af I'm actually sad it's gone averages will be lower imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Whoknowswhy
Ultimately it is what it is and there no more you can do about it. So what you need to do now is focus on what you can control ie you personal statement. But also to reassure yourself you can look at the national averages per subtext on e Ukcat website. You are well above the norm.

I've done some research. And a file published by the UKCAT consortium has calmed me down. I've added it to the bottom of this message. And it shows results excluding DA. The top decile is no greater than 720, I think. So, yes, I should be VERY pleased. I now regret posting those questions, and I am deeply sorry if I unintentionally offended anyone in the process. I wasn't looking for praise: was just a little worried as I'm sure you can all relate to.

And here's the link I mentioned: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT%20Test%20Statistics%202015.pdf

Best wishes you all!

G
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by G.name
Do you think I'm being unreasonable? Have a look at my older posts, to see why I'm a little worried :s-smilie:

Nope nope... Why does everybody think I'm trigger happy? I was just saying that your score is freaking amazing! You shouldn't be worrying about it at all! Focus on the next step and thank your lucky stars that your prayers were answered, or whatever... you get the point. To all the atheists out there, no offence!

Any other questions? Feel free to ask here or PM me.

Congratulations on your envious score once again :rofl: :groovy:
Original post by medstudent1010
I got three interviews and one offer with an average of 637.5 ukcat score whereas I know of people with a 700 average with no offers,the ukcat isn't the end of the world and doesn't determine how good of a doctor you'll be

Certainly. The UKCAT is arbitrary. It has been shown to discriminate against the lower socio-economic strata. Of which I am a member :smile:

A doctor needs more than reading, maths and pattern-spotting skills!
Original post by dakshsaksena
Hey guysSo my UKCAT is this friday, hoping for a good score (who isnt)So my question is, what to do the day BEFORE the exam? Should I practice some questions? Should I not practice at all? Whats the scene?Over the next 4 days, Ill take 3 mocks (ISC, Kaplan and on the UKCAT website) and do some Medify drills for my weaker sections. But thats about it. Is this fine ?On mocks, my avvg score is around 630-670ish. Total score is in the 7-9 decilesIs my POA fine?Please help @uniadmissions @themedicportalThanks

Hi dakshsaksena

Sounds as though you have a good plan for the next few days and that you have really thought about the best way to approach things which is great.

Have you been preparing for long?

My advice would be not to try cramming the day before as it is important not to stress yourself out right before your test. If you have done plenty of preparation up until this point then I am sure you will do great on the day.

Make sure you get to bed at a decent time the night before and get a good nights sleep. Eat a big breakfast in the morning and walk into your test feeling confident and calm.

Find some time over the next day or so to read through this blog for some great tips and advice on how to do the best you can on the day itself.

I hope that is useful.

Just remember, stay calm and be confident... you'll do great!

Give me a shout if you have any more questions.

UniAdmissions
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi dakshsaksena

Sounds as though you have a good plan for the next few days and that you have really thought about the best way to approach things which is great.

Have you been preparing for long?

My advice would be not to try cramming the day before as it is important not to stress yourself out right before your test. If you have done plenty of preparation up until this point then I am sure you will do great on the day.

Make sure you get to bed at a decent time the night before and get a good nights sleep. Eat a big breakfast in the morning and walk into your test feeling confident and calm.

Find some time over the next day or so to read through this blog for some great tips and advice on how to do the best you can on the day itself.

I hope that is useful.

Just remember, stay calm and be confident... you'll do great!

Give me a shout if you have any more questions.

UniAdmissions

do you guys think 5 hours a day for 4 weeks is good enough for 700+ score?
Original post by ronnydandam

If you're doing effective practice. But then again, it's probably a bit OTT to do 5 hours every day for a month. You should be only really doing that much the week before. Try not to burn yourself out.

Hi ronnydandam

I think that it is definitely the best approach to set aside a regular amount of time over a number of weeks, rather than try and cram right before the test.

It is generally recommended that you set aside at least 2-3 hours per day for 3 weeks prior to your exam, this could be done on your own or as part of a UKCAT course.

Have you already been following this schedule or is this what you have planned to prepare for your test?

It's also really important to make sure you have access to as many resources as possible, practice papers, books, lectures. There are lots of these sorts of things available... just shout if you would like me to recommend some to you.

You should have a read of this blog as it is all about this and will give you some more tips for getting prepared for your UKCAT.

I hope that is useful for you... always happy to help if you have any more questions.

UniAdmissions
(edited 7 years ago)
what are the keyboard shortcuts that are helpful? Ik you can type numbers in using keyboard, but what else?
Original post by Gogregg
If you're doing effective practice. But then again, it's probably a bit OTT to do 5 hours every day for a month. You should be only really doing that much the week before. Try not to burn yourself out.

Cheers, I'm thinking doing 3 hours of actual questions and then the other two hours just sharpening my mental maths, is that okay do you reckon?
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi ronnydandam

I think that it is definitely the best approach to set aside a regular amount of time over a number of weeks, rather than try and cram right before the test.

It is generally recommended that you set aside 2 hours per day for 3 weeks prior to your exam, this could be done on your own or as part of a UKCAT course.

Have you already been following this schedule or is this what you have planned to prepare for your test?

It's also really important to make sure you have access to as many resources as possible, practice papers, books, lectures. There are lots of these sorts of things available... just shout if you would like me to recommend some to you.

You should have a read of this blog as it is all about this and will give you some more tips for getting prepared for your UKCAT.

I hope that is useful for you... always happy to help if you have any more questions.

UniAdmissions

Thanks a lot, and nah I'm going to start tomorrow! I shall see the blog cheers
Original post by 123chem
what are the keyboard shortcuts that are helpful? Ik you can type numbers in using keyboard, but what else?

I wanna know this too
Reply 713
Alt + C opens calculator
Num Lock activates / deactivates the number pad (essential!)
Alt + N next page
Alt + P previous page

Give them a try on the official UKCAT site and see how they work for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by G.name
People! Will I be able to apply anywhere with this?

In terms of previous years it's amazing you should be more than fine for most places. However you can't fully tell till they release the deciles in October

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medstudent1010
I got three interviews and one offer with an average of 637.5 ukcat score whereas I know of people with a 700 average with no offers,the ukcat isn't the end of the world and doesn't determine how good of a doctor you'll be

This is very misleading. It's all about where you apply. Anything above 725 is really high and will be good anywhere. People just need to apply to their strengths. If your UKCAT isn't amazing then avoid UKCAT heavy unis b

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by G.name
People! Will I be able to apply anywhere with this?

You clearly will. DA is hardly going to have *that* much of an effect. Your score is most likely going to land in the top decile.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aamin96
Hey guys i've got my ukcat booked for mid september, I've ordered the 1000q isc book and will get medify 2 weeks before the test. How did you guys go about revision? Did you use the 1000q isc untimed practicing the questions and getting used to the technique and then slowly increasing your speed? also are there any other sources that will help? im a bit worried about the DA section being gone because that will impact my average massively. Thanks!

If it's in for Mid-September, you should probably start revising in early August at the earliest. You may find that you run out of resources if not!

DA will probably not have that much of an effect on averages except maybe make them slightly higher because of the fact that you only have to focus on three sections than the usual four. Don't worry, Im sure you'll do great!
Cheers, I'm thinking doing 3 hours of actual questions and then the other two hours just sharpening my mental maths, is that okay do you reckon?

It really depends on how much you've got going on as well (like you need to be revising your AS subjects that are reformed, planning your personal statement and undergoing work experience + extra reading). I'd say 2-3 hours a day at most would be more suitable
Hi,
Does anyone know if it's possible to have two people signed in the same Medify account at one time? Thinking of splitting the price with a friend, but unsure if it'll cause inconvenience... Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest