The Student Room Group

Are there any legitimate arguments against homogeneity?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crassy
Well, Japan seems to be progressing technology and science fine with basically no immigration. The internet facilitates information exchange incredibly well. Giving out some visas for foriegn scientists and businessmen isn't a hard thing to do.

But yeah, limited immigration is alright. It's really the scale of it that's the problem.

Also:
Polls in the past have shown that most Japanese people oppose an expansion of immigration.[11][12][13] However, a recent 2015 poll by the Asahi Shimbun found that fewer people (34%) oppose an expansion of immigration to maintain Japan's economic status in the face of a shrinking and rapidly aging workforce, while many (51%) people support the an increased immigration.[14] Many people expect immigrants to assimilate. Nearly half of those who responded to a 2016 poll said that immigrants should respect Japanese culture and obey Japanese customs, while about one quarter said that Japanese people should embrace diversity.[15]
Reply 41
Original post by oShahpo

Mass immigration is wrong because it's non-selective, simple as that.

Why is mass immigration wrong? Shouldn't everyone have an equal chance for a good life?

"We hold these truths to be sacred & undeniable; that all men are created equal & independent, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent & inalienable, among which are the preservation of life, & liberty, & the pursuit of happiness"
Original post by Dheorl
Why is mass immigration wrong? Shouldn't everyone have an equal chance for a good life?

"We hold these truths to be sacred & undeniable; that all men are created equal & independent, that from that equal creation they derive rights inherent & inalienable, among which are the preservation of life, & liberty, & the pursuit of happiness"

Well, that's all nice on pen and paper, but mass immigration just won't work. Imagine opening Oxbridge gates to anyone who wants to study there. Not all people have sufficient credentials to fit in a modern country such as this one. In the end the level will be dragged down and no one will be living in liberty nor happiness.
Reply 43
Original post by Crassy
I like Indian food but I'd be able to live without it. I get my music from the Internet and I don't care about art, if I did I don't see why we need immigration to put art in museums. I don't feel like the exchange of ideas and culture requires mass immigration to facilitate it. Tokyo, Soeul and Hong Kong are all global cities with enough diversity, different foods there are foriegn students, foriegn workers etc but none of them have the kind of huge minority populations we see in the west.

I mean it's nice to meet people from foriegn countries sometimes but I don't see how that means we have to have places like Tower Hamlets or Bradford which are 90%+ muslim/asian.

I do agree that the areas dominated by immigrants can be bad, but that is due to our failings, not an inherent problem of multiculturalism. And you may not, but I'd wager that the majority of people appreciate the wider culture that comes from immigrants.

I'd be curious to see your response to my other post. I sense that no matter how reasonable, logical argument your position won't change.
Reply 44
Original post by oShahpo
Well, that's all nice on pen and paper, but mass immigration just won't work. Imagine opening Oxbridge gates to anyone who wants to study there. Not all people have sufficient credentials to fit in a modern country such as this one. In the end the level will be dragged down and no one will be living in liberty nor happiness.

If everyone is capable of studying at oxbridge and is willing to pay the fees, or if it were to be free than to go on to pay suitable taxes, then I see nothing wrong with it.
Original post by Dheorl
If everyone is capable of studying at oxbridge and is willing to pay the fees, or if it were to be free than to go on to pay suitable taxes, then I see nothing wrong with it.

But that's the point, not everyone is capable of studying at Oxbridge.
Reply 46
Original post by oShahpo
But that's the point, not everyone is capable of studying at Oxbridge.

The level of selection most people speak of though is that we should cherry pick the best from other countries to come and join us, taking their medical professionals, their engineers, but shutting the door in the face of the shop-keepers and bricklayers.
Original post by Dheorl
The level of selection most people speak of though is that we should cherry pick the best from other countries to come and join us, taking their medical professionals, their engineers, but shutting the door in the face of the shop-keepers and bricklayers.

No, shutting the door in the face of non-innovative workers that we don't need. What's the point of bringing bricklayers if they have no business or job vacancies in the country?
Reply 48
oShahpo
Japan is not doing half as well as America is doing, they don't even have a tenth of the Nobel Prizes of America, so I would wager that America is doing better. Yea I agree the bigger the scale the poorer the prospects of integration, but small scale selective immigration has its benefits. Think of how many American nobel prize winners, scientists, entrepreneurs and engineers are essentially immigrants. What's wrong with bringing the best and the brightest people from the whole world to, essentially, work for you?

Btw:
According to the Japanese immigration centre,[1] the number of foreign residents in Japan has steadily increased, and the number of foreign residents (excluding few illegal immigrants and short-term visitors such as foreign nationals staying less than 90 days in Japan)[2] were more than 2.2 million people in 2017.[1]

America has a larger population than Japan. And anyway, why does it matter where scientific advancements take place? As I said it wouldn't be hard to give out visas for scientists so they can work together. How many scientists do you know? They're a tiny handful of people. We don't need to import the 3rd world to make scientific progress.
Original post by Crassy
America has a larger population than Japan. And anyway, why does it matter where scientific advancements take place? As I said it wouldn't be hard to give out visas for scientists so they can work together. How many scientists do you know? They're a tiny handful of people. We don't need to import the 3rd world to make scientific progress.

We don't need it, but why not? It will certainly improve our's, and the world's, status. We wouldn't have Apple if it wasn't for Steve Jobs, a Syrian. What's wrong with importing smart and bright people into the country?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by oShahpo
No, shutting the door in the face of non-innovative workers that we don't need. What's the point of bringing bricklayers if they have no business or job vacancies in the country?

Because they, as a human being, shouldn't be denied the chance of working towards a good life for themselves.

I agree they shouldn't get benefits, and there should be systems in place for them to leave if they can't provide for themselves, but I'm strongly of the belief they should have the chance. We shouldn't just be stealing the best people from everywhere else.
Original post by Dheorl
Because they, as a human being, shouldn't be denied the chance of working towards a good life for themselves.

I agree they shouldn't get benefits, and there should be systems in place for them to leave if they can't provide for themselves, but I'm strongly of the belief they should have the chance. We shouldn't just be stealing the best people from everywhere else.

Well, I'd love to study at MIT tomorrow, but unless I demonstrate my capability to do so, why the hell should they bother with me? I will be nothing but a burden on their society and will do nothing but bring their level down.
Reply 52
Dheorl
I do agree that the areas dominated by immigrants can be bad, but that is due to our failings, not an inherent problem of multiculturalism. And you may not, but I'd wager that the majority of people appreciate the wider culture that comes from immigrants.

I'd be curious to see your response to my other post. I sense that no matter how reasonable, logical argument your position won't change.

How is that due to "our failings"? Why does whitey always have to pick up the slack? It's not really anyone's failings IMO, I don't begrudge immigrants for wanting to be with their own, it's natural and inevitable.

Your other point I don't agree with. The world isn't more interconnected due to multiculturalism though multiculturalism might partially be due to the world being more interconnected. But the point is we don't need the to import the entire 3rd world to remain globally relevant, this is nonsensical and I have no idea how people fall for this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by oShahpo
Well, I'd love to study at MIT tomorrow, but unless I demonstrate my capability to do so, why the hell should they bother with me? I will be nothing but a burden on their society and will do nothing but bring their level down.

I said they should be given a chance, not a free ride to do whatever they want...

If someone can demonstrate the ability to put one brick on top of another, then IMO they should be able to come to this country and try and get a job as a brick layer. If they can show the aptitude to operate a till, they should be able to come and try and get a job as a shop keeper. They should have just as much right to be here as a doctor or engineer.
Original post by Dheorl
I said they should be given a chance, not a free ride to do whatever they want...

If someone can demonstrate the ability to put one brick on top of another, then IMO they should be able to come to this country and try and get a job as a brick layer. If they can show the aptitude to operate a till, they should be able to come and try and get a job as a shop keeper. They should have just as much right to be here as a doctor or engineer.

Only if they're needed, yes.
Reply 55
Original post by oShahpo
Only if they're needed, yes.

Whether or not they're needed.
Original post by Dheorl
Whether or not they're needed.

Why!? How is it smart to bring 5,000,000 bricklayers from around the world when there are only 500 positions available? How is that going to work?
Reply 57
Original post by oShahpo
Why!? How is it smart to bring 5,000,000 bricklayers from around the world when there are only 500 positions available? How is that going to work?

Well for starters a lot more houses will need to be built :wink:
Reply 58
oShahpo
We don't need it, but why not? It will certainly improve our's, and the world's, status. We wouldn't have Apple if it wasn't for Steve Jobs, a Syrian. What's wrong with importing smart and bright people into the country?

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a matter of scale. If immigration is happening at the rate and scale that recognisable different communities start to form within your country and ghettoise than its already too much IMO.

America is a propisitional nation though and truly a nation of immigrants (even though that immigration was very restricted up until the 60's) so things are slightly different there I feel. Nations that are fundamentally based on organic ethnic groups can't deal with immigration the same way.

But even America is struggling under the strain of immigration. People from cultures who don't value individual freedom and other American ideals are becoming the majority. Hispanics don't give a crap about the American Revolution, rugged individualism, laissez faire capitalism and all those other things that make America great - unless Trump wins, America will cease to exist in the upcoming decades.
Original post by Dheorl
Well for starters a lot more houses will need to be built :wink:

But why? All of this money is going to be wasted, as the majority of them will leave anyway as they have no means of supporting themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending