The Student Room Group

History or History and Politics

I'm stuck on what degree to take. The most important factor are job prospects. For instance i'm considering going into Politics or International Relations but I'm worried that i wouldn't be able to with a single History degree, yet I'm not set on that career and I think i would prefer a History degree. Any advice?
Original post by F98P
I'm stuck on what degree to take. The most important factor are job prospects. For instance i'm considering going into Politics or International Relations but I'm worried that i wouldn't be able to with a single History degree, yet I'm not set on that career and I think i would prefer a History degree. Any advice?

What do you mean by 'going into Politics or International Relations'?
Original post by F98P

I do History at University and I think the good thing about it is the transferable skills that you get from it. Like the research skills, essay writing etc etc. Through my degree I've realised that I really enjoy history but I don't think I want to go into a career about history - from what I've seen it is a bit limited! But like I said, employers will be happy with the skills you gain from the degree.

So in my opinion, go with your gut feeling and see where it takes you :smile: If you don't like it after first year then you could always transition over to Politics.
Original post by F98P

In my opinion, doing a joint honours seems like the most logical option to pick. You will do both compulsory modules in both Politics and History and maybe be able to pick one optional from both subjects. If you enjoyed both the first year, you'll carry on. If you preferred one subject over the other you ideally would have 2 choices. The first one is that you major in the most preferred subject whilst minoring in the least preferred (i.e you'll pick more modules in History and only do a few as one or 2 in Politics per year).

Your other option is to completely drop the least preferred subject and carry on to do a single honours. I think this is the easiest option rather than swapping one degree for another 'cause some unis are funny that way. For example, if you did History for the first year, realise you don't like it and didn't do any Politics or IR modules, then they'd say you can do a politics degree, but start from first year as you didn't do any of the compulsory modules for politics.

So from my own experience and from friends too, I say do the joint honours then you have more options down the line in terms of what your degree focus/programme would want to look like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending