The Student Room Group

C3 functions

http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Core-Maths/Core-Maths-C3/2007-June/paper.php#Q5

part b i can't get the value of the asymptote for the range of the original function

i've drawn the graph out and when x=0.5 y doesn't work but i don't know what to do from here onwards
Reply 1
The asymptote is x=3. This gives 0 on denominator and of course division by 0 is not possible.
Original post by B_9710
The asymptote is x=3. This gives 0 on denominator and of course division by 0 is not possible.

so what can i do?
Reply 3
Original post by thegreatwhale
so what can i do?

You said you couldn't find the asymptote. If it's part b you cannot do, it's just normal finding inverse, If you have a function y=f(x), just swap the x's and y's to find the equation of the inverse function. So for y=x+3, inverse has equation x=y+3, you can then rearrange if you want.
Original post by B_9710
You said you couldn't find the asymptote. If it's part b you cannot do, it's just normal finding inverse, If you have a function y=f(x), just swap the x's and y's to find the equation of the inverse function. So for y=x+3, inverse has equation x=y+3, you can then rearrange if you want.

ah sorry it was the domain of the inverse and range of the original which got me stuck

i got y=ex+12y=\dfrac{e^x +1}{2}
Reply 5
Well the domain of the inverse of g will be the range of the range of g as you said. It helps to know what the graph of y=g(x) looks like as it is quite a common function (rectangular hyperbola) and it has all range except 0, so xR,x3:g(x)=0 \nexists x \in \mathbb{R}, x\neq 3 : g(x)=0 .
Original post by B_9710
Well the domain of the inverse of g will be the range of the range of g as you said. It helps to know what the graph of y=g(x) looks like as it is quite a common function (rectangular hyperbola) and it has all range except 0, so xR,x3:g(x)=0 \nexists x \in \mathbb{R}, x\neq 3 : g(x)=0 .

but this is f(x) ????
Reply 7
but this is f(x) ????

Oh I have misread your whole question. f is a simple transformation of the graph for ln x. You should probably be able to quickly recognise that it has all range.
Original post by B_9710
Oh I have misread your whole question. f is a simple transformation of the graph for ln x. You should probably be able to quickly recognise that it has all range.

ah, how would i know this? by looking at the inverse or some other method?
Reply 9
ah, how would i know this? by looking at the inverse or some other method?

Well it's just a graph of lnx essentially. To get from lnx to the function f it is just 2 simple transformations so the graph will look more or less the same.
The graph of lnx is expected to be standard knowledge in C3. For y=lnx, there will be a vertical asymptote - y axis - and the range is <y< -\infty < y < \infty .
Original post by B_9710
Well it's just a graph of lnx essentially. To get from lnx to the function f it is just 2 simple transformations so the graph will look more or less the same.
The graph of lnx is expected to be standard knowledge in C3. For y=lnx, there will be a vertical asymptote - y axis - and the range is <y< -\infty < y < \infty .

ah yes ok so x can be any real number thanks
Reply 11
ah yes ok so x can be any real number thanks

No, y can be any real number, x>0.
Although you could extend the domain to negative numbers (and complex numbers) if you wanted to, but for C3 purposes, x>0 for lnx.
Original post by B_9710
No, y can be any real number, x>0.
Although you could extend the domain to negative numbers (and complex numbers) if you wanted to, but for C3 purposes, x>0 for lnx.

ah thanks :smile: all new stuff so learning more and more xd
Reply 13
ah thanks :smile: all new stuff so learning more and more xd

It's great that you're trying to learn it and get ahead. I would definitely recommend doing what you're doing. Get A* easy by exams next June.
Original post by B_9710
It's great that you're trying to learn it and get ahead. I would definitely recommend doing what you're doing. Get A* easy by exams next June.

Hopefully that's what i can do, haven't even learnt fp1 yet o.o which i need to do by the end of this summer but i'm thinking i need trig and c3 differentiation and c4 integration to do fp1....
Reply 15
Hopefully that's what i can do, haven't even learnt fp1 yet o.o which i need to do by the end of this summer but i'm thinking i need trig and c3 differentiation and c4 integration to do fp1....

You don't :smile:

AS Maths differentiation is all you need. The implicit differentiation chapter of C4 may be handy, however, but is not required.
I can't recall any integration in FP1, but if I am wrong it will only be at a C2 level.
Original post by JLegion
You don't :smile:

AS Maths differentiation is all you need. The implicit differentiation chapter of C4 may be handy, however, but is not required.
I can't recall any integration in FP1, but if I am wrong it will only be at a C2 level.

sounds good... so i guess i can move onto it right away....

Quick Reply

Latest