The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
The maximum cp is the same for the same pokemon. You can see this by looking at your multiple pidgeots and raticates which you no dout have by now. So no it won't make a difference

No I know that, the question is whether you can reach the max CP cheaper by first upgrading your pokemon and THEN evolving them. Because if evolving is calculated as a multiple of starting CP then theoretically any powering up you do before an evolution would be also multiplied when you evolve.

Obviously you'd have to be careful you didn't power up too high so as to waste CP when you evolved and hit the ceiling, and for that reason it's probably best to simply evolve naturally 66-75% CP pokemon and then power them up to the cap - at least until someone develops a formula for calculating the optimal way
(edited 7 years ago)
so evolve first, then power up?
Or otherway round?
Original post by Architecture-er
No I know that, the question is whether you can reach the max CP cheaper by first upgrading your pokemon and THEN evolving them. Because if evolving is calculated as a multiple of starting CP then theoretically any powering up you do before an evolution would be also multiplied when you evolve.

Obviously you'd have to be careful you didn't power up too high so as to waste CP when you evolved and hit the ceiling, and for that reason it's probably best to simply evolve naturally 66-75% CP pokemon and then power them up to the cap - at least until someone develops a formula for calculating the optimal way

While I agree with what you're saying, there's also the fact that some people get "luckier" evolutions. For example, a friend of mine evolved a CP 330 Eevee and received a CP 900 Vaporeon, while I evolved a CP 380 Eevee and receive a CP 770 Jolteon (this could be due to the differences between Vaporeon and Jolteon, but as they're both Eeveelutions I'm assuming their levels should be similar). In this example, the CP of the pre-evolved Pokemon does not seem to play a part in the CP of the evolved Pokemon.

AFAIK, the CP bar of the Pokemon should remain stationary during an evolution, so if it was 75% full before the evolution, it should remain 75% full afterwards. However, you then need to take into account the amount of candies and stardust increases at higher CP, so it may be more efficient to level them up prior to evolution.

Edit: ugh 50k per level now
(edited 7 years ago)
There's a Pokéstop close enough to work to collect items from my desk :biggrin:
Is anybody finding the distance tracking to be dodgy, and I don't mean the inaccuracy of GPS meaning you can hatch without ever moving

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd just focus on gathering pidgeys, caterpies and weedles as they only need 12 candies to evolve, also zubats. Store them all up until you have around 160 candies of each, plus 10-15 of each pokemon in your bag. Pop a lucky egg and then evolve everything within that 30 minutes of double xp, each evolution will be 1k experience and you shoot right up - its the most efficient way to level! :woo:

A 30 minute evolving stint with a lucky egg can easily net you 40-50k experience, and you get given new eggs at certain levels so you can hop from threshold to threshold, only being held back by needing to collect all the pokemon and candies beforehand :awesome:

Once you've hit a high trainer level (around 15+) you'll start to see naturally-high pokemon in the wild, like 500 CP and above - catching those will mean you spend less resources on leveling up weaker pokemon caught back when you were level 5-10, I've only just started to power up pokemon and I'm level 17

edit: re: powering up pokemon before or after evolving them... I have no idea would love to know if anyone's experimented! It seems evolving increases CP by a multiple of the original pokemon's CP, influenced by whether its a 12, 25 or 50 candy evolution.. part of me thinks we should be powering up pokemon to their caps before evolving them for the greatest multiple, but I'm not sure :beard:

Thats such a good idea!:O thanks for the tip
Original post by Jammy Duel
Is anybody finding the distance tracking to be dodgy, and I don't mean the inaccuracy of GPS meaning you can hatch without ever moving

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sadly my phone is too accurate for that :frown:

edit: ah got what you mean, yeah I've found egg hatching to take far greater distances than google maps says it should.. bit annoying
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tomtjl
While I agree with what you're saying, there's also the fact that some people get "luckier" evolutions. For example, a friend of mine evolved a CP 330 Eevee and received a CP 900 Vaporeon, while I evolved a CP 380 Eevee and receive a CP 770 Jolteon (this could be due to the differences between Vaporeon and Jolteon, but as they're both Eeveelutions I'm assuming their levels should be similar). In this example, the CP of the pre-evolved Pokemon does not seem to play a part in the CP of the evolved Pokemon.

AFAIK, the CP bar of the Pokemon should remain stationary during an evolution, so if it was 75% full before the evolution, it should remain 75% full afterwards. However, you then need to take into account the amount of candies and stardust increases at higher CP, so it may be more efficient to level them up prior to evolution.

Edit: ugh 50k per level now

Ah that's interesting and makes sense, so its impossible to waste resources by 'over leveling'

Nice one! So you're what, level 21? What's the plan now?
Sadly my phone is too accurate for that :frown:

You just need to be in the right sort of building, or have the right weather, and the accuracy is gone. Normally my phone is fine but occasionally indoors it will travel a quarter of a mile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm level 9 now and unfortunately, I only have 20% of data left for this month... :frown:
Original post by Marshall Taylor
I'm level 9 now and unfortunately, I only have 20% of data left for this month... :frown:

Whaaa, not from pokemon go though? Mine's only consumed a few hundred MBs
I don't understand pokestops. When I click on one ot just says something like "pub name" with a picture and that's it. Aren't they supposed to drop stuff? Mind you I'm only level 4. Haven't had time to get into it wuth the servers keeping on going down and patchy GPS/internet (I'm pretty rural here) properly plus my phone got so hot today playing it I could barely touch it.
Reply 772
Original post by ButterflyEl
I don't understand pokestops. When I click on one ot just says something like "pub name" with a picture and that's it. Aren't they supposed to drop stuff? Mind you I'm only level 4. Haven't had time to get into it wuth the servers keeping on going down and patchy GPS/internet (I'm pretty rural here) properly plus my phone got so hot today playing it I could barely touch it.

You spin the picture to get a reward.
Reached level 10 today :ahee:

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Had an amazring haul at lunch today :dance:

Got a Slowpoke (@Slowbro93) a Psyduck, a Meowth, loads of voltorbs, an electrode, loads of magenemite, a magnetron, a nidorina, a krabby, a growlithe, a magikarp (:love:), and a horsea

Should I focus of evolving my pokemon now or should I wait? Should I max out their CP or before evolving or not bother?

:ahee:
So far I've got a Pikachu and a Ponyta from eggs :biggrin:
Ah that's interesting and makes sense, so its impossible to waste resources by 'over leveling'

Nice one! So you're what, level 21? What's the plan now?

Not if you plan to evolve the Pokemon, at least, but then you'll probably catch a higher one as soon as you've levelled it up :tongue:.

Just hit level 20 today, this is my current line up:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
You spin the picture to get a reward.

Okay stupid question but how do I do that? Just click on it?
Reply 777

Flick it.

Swipe over it and It will spin.
I caught a Pidgey today.

Am I a Pokemon Master now? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest