The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ask him to convert...or move on.
Original post by aminah91
Hi,
Im a 24 year old muslim Somali girl, recently finished university. I'm in love with a christian Nigerian man and don't know what to do. Any advice?

why does religion have to get in the way of love? or anyone else for that matter?
Hi,
Im a 24 year old muslim Somali girl, recently finished university. I'm in love with a christian Nigerian man and don't know what to do. Any advice?

I'm Somali girl. I advise you to try get him to convert. Are you parents even ok with this? Somali people can be very racist to west africans. Unfortunately, we call them 'jareer' and stuff. Which is terrible
@Al-farhan
@bluebookie
what do you advise this sister to do?
Hi,

Damn this is a tough one :erm: if he's not willing to convert then I don't see how this relationship is going to work tbh. :dontknow:

Spoiler

Posted from OtherWorld
ah the modern day romeo and juliet. You have to die
Original post by mr T 999
Damn this is a tough one :erm: if he's not willing to convert then I don't see how this relationship is going to work tbh. :dontknow:

Spoiler

Posted from OtherWorld

You're sweet :biggrin:
Reply 7
You can both convert to a different religion like Pastafaranism.
Reply 8
Original post by PrincessBO$$
I'm Somali girl. I advise you to try get him to convert. Are you parents even ok with this? Somali people can be very racist to west africans. Unfortunately, we call them 'jareer' and stuff. Which is terrible
@Al-farhan
@bluebookie
what do you advise this sister to do?

Honestly, I've never really liked west africans, not in a racist way. My parents don't know, if they did I would be disowned right now. He was actually thinking about converting before he even met me. He is taking his shahada on friday Insha'Allah. I know for a fact that my parents would still not accept him. At the end of the day it's my life, should I not be able to choose who I want to spend the rest of my life with.
What are his thoughts on religion? How religious are you? What are your parents like? Would they allow you to marry someone who isn't a Somali and isn't a Muslim?

I know others are saying you should convince him to convert but he would only be doing it for you - not because he genuinely believes in the religion. If he is willing to pretend for you then that's great but if not, then it depends entirely on your parents and whether or not you are fine with being in a situation where you could potentially no longer have your family.
Reply 10
You should convert to Christianity.
Honestly, I've never really liked west africans, not in a racist way. My parents don't know, if they did I would be disowned right now. He was actually thinking about converting before he even met me. He is taking his shahada on friday Insha'Allah. I know for a fact that my parents would still not accept him. At the end of the day it's my life, should I not be able to choose who I want to spend the rest of my life with.

For what reasons don't you like west Africans?
Honestly, I've never really liked west africans, not in a racist way. My parents don't know, if they did I would be disowned right now. He was actually thinking about converting before he even met me. He is taking his shahada on friday Insha'Allah. I know for a fact that my parents would still not accept him. At the end of the day it's my life, should I not be able to choose who I want to spend the rest of my life with.[/QUOTE]

I think you should have a say on who you are gonna marry, But i also think you should maintain ties with your parents.
soomali ma ku hadlikarta?
Not even sure what I would do in this situation.Surely love can prevail ?
Original post by ATW1
You should convert to Christianity.

That one

So its not just religion ,but a matter of ethnicity too ?
Every time I'm on tsr, I see a story like this. What are we suppose to tell you?

There's two options
Follow what your parents say and do what they do and basically be their lapdog and go with someone you don't really like but you want to appease them

Or

Stand your ground and go with the man of your dreams and still carry on holding your religion personally to you
Original post by Kadak
So its not just religion ,but a matter of ethnicity too ?

Yep. Some Somali people can be very racist. Most parents don't want their kids especially daughters getting married off to foreigners, even ethiopian. Which are basically our neighbours.
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Yep. Some Somali people can be very racist. Most parents don't want their kids especially daughters getting married off to foreigners, even ethiopian. Which are basically our neighbours.

For some reason,I didnt get a notification.I am shocked and saddened :frown:.Are your parents like this ?
Original post by Kadak
For some reason,I didnt get a notification.I am shocked and saddened :frown:.Are your parents like this ?

i don't know? I never heared them say something like that.
Where r u from?

Latest

Trending

Trending