The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Possible to switch courses?

I'm currently holding a conditional offer for accounting and finance. Recently, I've had a change of heart and an a&f degree no longer appeals to me. If I was to meet the conditions for my offer, would it be possible to switch to a course like international relations (which I know is super competitive)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Email the uni and ask. They may ask you to apply through clearing though.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
That would be pretty hard in all honesty. If you were switching to another quantitative degree such as in the department of maths or stats, they will most likely be more willing to allow the transfer (as the first year of the degree is identical to all other quant degrees - depending on options). International Relations has a completely different first year. You're essentially wanting a switch from a quant to a qualitative course, where admissions to courses are different to their quant representatives. That being said, it won't hurt to ask. I would first contact the head of international relations department (see LSE website) and then the admissions team. Unlikely to be allowed, but give it a go. Worst comes to worst and you still want to transfer, either reapply for next year or apply for International Relations at another uni in clearing (LSE do not take part in clearing iirc).
Original post by alleycat393
Email the uni and ask. They may ask you to apply through clearing though.

Since when is LSE ever in clearing?
Original post by anonwinner
Since when is LSE ever in clearing?

That's why I said may. No one can predict what the uni is going to say or what is going to happen.
Original post by DarkPeople
That would be pretty hard in all honesty. If you were switching to another quantitative degree such as in the department of maths or stats, they will most likely be more willing to allow the transfer (as the first year of the degree is identical to all other quant degrees - depending on options). International Relations has a completely different first year. You're essentially wanting a switch from a quant to a qualitative course, where admissions to courses are different to their quant representatives. That being said, it won't hurt to ask. I would first contact the head of international relations department (see LSE website) and then the admissions team. Unlikely to be allowed, but give it a go. Worst comes to worst and you still want to transfer, either reapply for next year or apply for International Relations at another uni in clearing (LSE do not take part in clearing iirc).

I'm probably one of the rare lse a&f offer holders who doesn't do a level maths so the whole quant side is alien to me. Thanks for your response :smile:
That's why I said may. No one can predict what the uni is going to say or what is going to happen.

I'm going to make a prediction that LSE will not be in clearing, based on this quote from their website "LSE does not participate in UCAS Extra, Adjustment or Clearing." (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/howToApplyHome.aspx)
I'm going to make a prediction that LSE will not be in clearing, based on this quote from their website "LSE does not participate in UCAS Extra, Adjustment or Clearing." (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/howToApplyHome.aspx)

Weirder things have happened. Arguing with me isn't helping anyone. Good luck op!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Weirder things have happened. Arguing with me isn't helping anyone. Good luck op!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not every discussion or disagreement is an argument...

You're on the TSR support team surely you should have thicker skin by now?
Not every discussion or disagreement is an argument...

You're on the TSR support team surely you should have thicker skin by now?

Unfortunately years in academia are responsible for my thick skin and my ability to spot wind ups and time wasters which i don't have time for. The OP has got the answer they need so I suggest you stop trying to derail their thread and find something else to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unfortunately years in academia are responsible for my thick skin and my ability to spot wind ups and time wasters which i don't have time for. The OP has got the answer they need so I suggest you stop trying to derail their thread and find something else to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You clearly have the time to reply to every single one of my comments.

I'm not 'derailing' OP's thread. I actually did some research and found evidence that LSE will not be in clearing, rather than giving the same copy and pasted replies that you gave.

Finally, I am not a 'wind up' or a troll. You and many other people on this website, and indeed on the internet as a whole, need to realise that not everyone who disagrees with them is a troll.
You clearly have the time to reply to every single one of my comments.

I'm not 'derailing' OP's thread. I actually did some research and found evidence that LSE will not be in clearing, rather than giving the same copy and pasted replies that you gave.

Finally, I am not a 'wind up' or a troll. You and many other people on this website, and indeed on the internet as a whole, need to realise that not everyone who disagrees with them is a troll.

You claiming you aren't derailing the thread means that you are in fact, derailing the thread.
Original post by Confusedschubert
You claiming you aren't derailing the thread means that you are in fact, derailing the thread.

You calling me out on 'derailing the thread' is, in fact, derailing the thread.
You calling me out on 'derailing the thread' is, in fact, derailing the thread.

Derailing AND being unoriginal.
Original post by Confusedschubert
Derailing AND being unoriginal.

Please stop derailing the thread

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending