The Student Room Group

At least 2 police officers have been shot during a BLM protest.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Assan
I don't think that every instance presented by BLM is necessarily police brutality. But some are. And BLM are not the only people saying this; scientists, researchers, academics, lawyers, and people in contact with the criminal justice system do confirm that racism is real, prevalent, and systemic. You absolutely have to accept that racial injustice is real, violent, and prevalent, police corruption and violence is real, violent, and prevalent before we can continue, or there is really nothing to say.

You absolutely have to except That, according to every breakdown I've seen, from F.B.I. stats to the black economist from Harvard whose name escapes me, cops are much more likely to shoot a white guy, being only 14% of the pop. blacks commit 70% of the violent crime and are actually under represented when it comes to police involved shootings which would suggest that cops cut blacks more slack when they come into contact with them
You are so wrong. For every black that is mistreated by the police, there are dozens of whites who receive the same EXACT treatment. I've received some rough treatment by police but you've got to remember the scumbags they have to deal with on a daily basis.
But go ahead and swallow the B.S. hook, line, and sinker. Keep telling the blacks that they are victims and there's no need to change their behavior. You're doing them a disservice and only making things worse.
(edited 7 years ago)
Most of these statistics are true but not because of racism, which, if you've lived here for more than, say a year, you would be hard pressed to find overt examples of especially in the Educational system where Blacks have received preferential treatment for years, but their true because Blacks are more violent. Is that a racist statement? Is the Truth a defense against the charge of racism?
Reply 43
Original post by oldercon1953
Most of these statistics are true but not because of racism, which, if you've lived here for more than, say a year, you would be hard pressed to find overt examples of especially in the Educational system where Blacks have received preferential treatment for years, but their true because Blacks are more violent. Is that a racist statement? Is the Truth a defense against the charge of racism?

No, narrative over facts you racist.
Reply 44
Original post by oldercon1953
You are so wrong. For every black that is mistreated by the police, there are dozens of whites who receive the same EXACT treatment. I've received some rough treatment by police but you've got to remember the scumbags they have to deal with on a daily basis.
But go ahead and swallow the B.S. hook, line, and sinker. Keep telling the blacks that they are victims and there's no need to change their behavior. You're doing them a disservice and only making things worse.

This, I don't deny. However what is the proportion according to each's ethnic population? I work with stats everyday and they give fantastic insight and a strong starting point to analysis but they should not be solely used. Peoples feelings have to be considered. The fact that thousands of Blacks in the US share this sentiment of "racial discrimination" in the police force leads me to think that are profound problems in society and they may well be some truth. Whether this racial discrimination is only perceived, exaggerated or indeed reality. These feelings can not be ignored.
I thought this was going to turn into a US "race war" but one of the officers killed was black. So it seems all law enforcement are at risk. Revenge is not the answer.
Original post by TelAviv
What if a black person opposes Black Lives Matter?

Internalized racism innit. Get with the programme bro.
Original post by Zelex
This, I don't deny. However what is the proportion according to each's ethnic population? I work with stats everyday and they give fantastic insight and a strong starting point to analysis but they should not be solely used. Peoples feelings have to be considered. The fact that thousands of Blacks in the US share this sentiment of "racial discrimination" in the police force leads me to think that are profound problems in society and they may well be some truth. Whether this racial discrimination is only perceived, exaggerated or indeed reality. These feelings can not be ignored.

If you work with stats then you'll have no problem understand ing the significance of Black men representing 6% of the population yet they commit 50% of the homicides.
They are massively overrepresented in all none white collar crime including gun crimes and this leads them into confrontation with police disproportionately to others.
Reply 48
Original post by caravaggio2
If you work with stats then you'll have no problem understand ing the significance of Black men representing 6% of the population yet they commit 50% of the homicides.
They are massively overrepresented in all none white collar crime including gun crimes and this leads them into confrontation with police disproportionately to others.

If that is correct, then fair enough but there is a lot such figures do not tell you (how are they reported, is there a certain region in the U.S where black crimes are more prevalent, of course diasaggregating such data gets quite messy. Regardless, the entire point I was making in my previous post was that these figures should be used as a starting point for analysis. They do not tell us why Blacks feel victimised, not a few but seemingly the vast majority. This is not just a new phenomenon, even in movies, TV series we see the police force potrayed as "racist". Could this be exaggerated which has contributed to these feelings of victimisation? for example. It's far too simplistic to base these issues solely on statistics.
(edited 7 years ago)
The media is pushing a race confrontation, why I don't know. The very fact that practically every time a black guy is killed by the police it makes nationwide news yet when a white guy is killed you wouldn't know it. If you get all your information from the mainstream media you certainly wouldn't know this. Why do you think that you, who have watched reports in the news about yet another black man killed by the police, have never seen this 6% to 50% stat?
There may well be racism in the way policing is being carried out but handling it the way the media are means only ordinary none criminal black people will suffer . If you were a cop in America now and you received a call about a black guy violently abusing somebody in the street, would you rush to get there and deal with him?
Reply 50
Original post by caravaggio2
The media is pushing a race confrontation, why I don't know. The very fact that practically every time a black guy is killed by the police it makes nationwide news yet when a white guy is killed you wouldn't know it. If you get all your information from the mainstream media you certainly wouldn't know this. Why do you think that you, who have watched reports in the news about yet another black man killed by the police, have never seen this 6% to 50% stat?
There may well be racism in the way policing is being carried out but handling it the way the media are means only ordinary none criminal black people will suffer . If you were a cop in America now and you received a call about a black guy violently abusing somebody in the street, would you rush to get there and deal with him?

It's only on Fox news is where I have heard something similar to that 6% to 50% stat. Personally I share some of your sentiment. I do thin rather than race problem this is more to do with police brutality in the U.S. Yes, there will be racists (minority) within the police force but I refuse to believe the average police officer wakes up in the morning with thinking "lets go take out some Black folks today".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending