The Student Room Group

Relic

For geography, I have a 70 mark question about cold environments. I need to give examples of climatic processes and active and relic cold environments. Any ideas?
I'm not sure about the climatic processes, but examples of environments could be:

Polar glacial environments - the Arctic, Antarctica
Alpine glacial environments - the French Alps, the Himalayas, the Andes
Periglacial environments - North America, Northern Europe, Siberia
Relict glacial environments - the Lake District, the Cairngorms
That's brilliant.Any ideas for relict periglacial environments?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mvine001
That's brilliant.Any ideas for relict periglacial environments?

I'm not sure about relict periglacial environments, I think parts of the Cairngorms might fit that though?
Cheers. It looks like it fits the description I was given by my teacher.
Just throwing this out here:What do you think affects the temperatures of the following:Glacial areasTundra areasAlpine areas
Reply 6
relict periglacial environments will be places that used to be influenced by a periglacial environment. in the UK examples of these tend to be in southern england where arctic ice sheets at the end of the last ice age failed to reach.
most places therefore have some relict periglacial features but more well known examples include dartmoor, exmoor in devon and bodmin moor and west penwith moors in cornwall.
relict periglacial environments often contain features in the landscape such as tors, evidence of frost shattering processes, clitter fields, relict frost wedges etc. if you want more detail on examples of these on dartmoor i will be happy to help. I am in my 2nd year of a geography degree and have done detailed work on periglacial and glacial features on dartmoor.
Just throwing this out here:What do you think affects the temperatures of the following:Glacial areasTundra areasAlpine areas

The main factors I think are latitude and altitude.

Glacial areas are found at high latitudes and altitudes, and are permanently covered by ice. Glacial environments such as the Antarctic Ice Sheet (in the southern hemisphere), and the Greenland Ice Sheet (in the northern hemisphere) are found at high latitudes, i.e. above 60o latitude.

Tundra areas (cold areas where trees don't grow) are also generally found at high latitudes, between 60o and 70o latitude. Arctic tundra is found in Greenland, Canada and northern Russia, and Antarctic tundra is found on the islands around Antarctica, such as South Georgia.

Alpine areas are always found at high altitude, and are not affected by latitude.
Blimey. This is extremely useful. To be honest, I didn't see this coming, the help from a Uni student. Good luck with the rest of the course.
These have actually helped me with three different essay questions. Thanks.
Reply 11
Blimey. This is extremely useful. To be honest, I didn't see this coming, the help from a Uni student. Good luck with the rest of the course.

i assume this message is for me, if so you're welcome, glacial and periglacial environments/ landforms is one of my best areas for geography so happy to help, and thanks :smile:
How can I show how climatic processes explain the distribution peri/glacial environments? This is worth 70 marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending