The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by Marathi
Yes I got mine with minimal experience

Definitely I got mine with very little experience I just really talked about why I wanted to do it in the interview and how much I want to work with patients :smile:)

My best advice is to apply to everywhere even when they need experience. But also search care assistant job with no experience some are willing to train you, if you have a car it also helps in some cases if your willing to be a home carer. and if you really need experience care home is the best for it*
Reply 841
Original post by Themightylaa
Hiya all, just finished my Bsc in Biomedical Science (1st) and also snagged the President's Prize for best student as well. Been volunteering in a major hospital for 2 years now weekly on various wards including Neurosurgery and Renal Dialysis, and just got a job that should start anytime now as a bank HCA at another major hospital across town across all of the wards and some community shifts as well. Gonna try and kiss up to a few JD's or consultants after a few weeks on the job and see if I can't come in on a day off here and there and just... Follow them like a smell. That'll tick of shadowing experience within a clinical setting and should overall give me a good range of experience. Struggled to get any GP shadowing due to all the red tape 😫

Sitting the GAMSAT in September with the intention of getting into Notts almost solely, but also applying for SGUL and Swansea. Looking forward to what the next 9 months bring!

Except for GAMSAT. Nobody looks forward to sitting the damn GAMSAT 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey with the president prize award is it one student out of many unis or one per uni? :smile:)

Any hints or advice ... I'm entering third year 🙈 I got the highest grade this year but really worried about the lab projects 🙈
Original post by juno96
Hi guys, so I've been looking into applying for HCA positions but given the above description, it seems quite time intensive? How would you balance that as a student with your studies? Are there weekend only HCA jobs ?

Thanks in advance

I agree that its a lot of work along side studies. If you get a bank HCA job, you could work as many or little shifts you want a week. However depending on the hospital, they may require that you do a certain number within a year. Also at my hospital before I was allowed to do weekend shifts I had to do a 175 hours of work within the ward. But you could just do a couple of afternoon shifts a week if you are on bank I guess.
May I ask how you guys decided your universities? Was it dependent on the entrance exam and then you looked at the unis you could apply to from there with your academic record. Or did you do the opposite. Or was it location and the like?

I took in consideration places that did not require specific A-levels and asked for the UKCAT. I wanted to do the Gamsat, but it felt impossible to revise for it alongside my masters.
Original post by Msadiq
Hey with the president prize award is it one student out of many unis or one per uni? :smile:)

Any hints or advice ... I'm entering third year 🙈 I got the highest grade this year but really worried about the lab projects 🙈

It's awarded to one student per university, and the university has to have a biomedical programme that's accredited by the IBMS. Don't worry, if you did well in 2nd year you'll probably be ok in final year! Just get your diss done early, our group had the bulk of it done by Christmas and it made Semester 2 a much more relaxed experience! Best bit of advice I could give.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
It's awarded to one student per university, and the university has to have a biomedical programme that's accredited by the IBMS. Don't worry, if you did well in 2nd year you'll probably be ok in final year! Just get your diss done early, our group had the bulk of it done by Christmas and it made Semester 2 a much more relaxed experience! Best bit of advice I could give.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You started yours in September?? We didn't even get our assignments until January (Brum), then we had 10 solid weeks to carry out the work and then a further 2 months to produce it.
Reply 846
I'm torn between applying for unis with the same entry test or doing a mix of both, UKCAT as well as GAMSAT (to give me more options). From experience, or just opinion, does anyone find it a wiser choice to focus on just one entry exam? i.e. only apply for only UKCAT unis? I imagine all the focus would help in getting a higher score rather than spreading myself too thinly on doing both.

All advice much appreciated
Original post by juno96
I'm torn between applying for unis with the same entry test or doing a mix of both, UKCAT as well as GAMSAT (to give me more options). From experience, or just opinion, does anyone find it a wiser choice to focus on just one entry exam? i.e. only apply for only UKCAT unis? I imagine all the focus would help in getting a higher score rather than spreading myself too thinly on doing both.

All advice much appreciated

Absolutely sit both exams, I did awfully in my ukcat last time I sat it and smashed the GAMSAT 2 weeks later. I then applied to 3 GAMSAT uni's and 1 UKCAT (Warwick). Got 3 interviews from the GAMSAT choices and a rejection from Warwick.. It's best to keep your options open.
Hey guys,
I was just wondering in regards to work experience. I've done the required 2 weeks work experience before (but this was about 2/3 years ago) I've arranged some more work exp but because my hospital had a LOT of applications it's possible I won't be able to undertake anymore experience until after the application closing date. Anyone know what else I could do and what I'd need to write on the work exp forms when they send them out? Would it hinder my application if I said I had arranged work exp but for a later date? Also I do have about a year/year and a half volunteering experience at the hospital but again this was about 2 years ago before I started university? Do unis look down on that and want something more recent?
Unis I'm applying for are: Newcastle, Warwick, Kings and St Barts :/
I got a high 2.i in second year (which is surprising as I did not put in as much work as I should've but happy nonetheless) so i will be predicted to graduate with a first hopefully.
Original post by hopefuldoctor
Hey guys,
I was just wondering in regards to work experience. I've done the required 2 weeks work experience before (but this was about 2/3 years ago) I've arranged some more work exp but because my hospital had a LOT of applications it's possible I won't be able to undertake anymore experience until after the application closing date. Anyone know what else I could do and what I'd need to write on the work exp forms when they send them out? Would it hinder my application if I said I had arranged work exp but for a later date? Also I do have about a year/year and a half volunteering experience at the hospital but again this was about 2 years ago before I started university? Do unis look down on that and want something more recent?
Unis I'm applying for are: Newcastle, Warwick, Kings and St Barts :/

Warwick, at least, wants something within the last 2 years, the other universities I am not so sure about but it is most likely going to be a similar case.
Original post by 123ash
Ok, Thanks for the clarification. I attended the open day, but was confused. So they will ask for the work experience details by October.

Well, even if you have not yet started your HCA role. You could always volunteer as a companion volunteer or care assistant. And then 70hrs is just 2 weeks, so it is possible with the time remaining :-).*

Probably after 15 Oct since that's the UCAS deadline.

Yeah I'm going to do some extra volunteering in August but I've heard that the 70 hours has to come from at least 2 places. Not sure if it's correct though.

Original post by koolkat95
Hi, When did you get offered the job if you don't mind me asking? I got offered mine 3 weeks ago and I still haven't heard from HR.

I apparently got the offer on 24 May but never heard anything. Is there a number you could call?

I got no contact details but figured they'd get in touch with me eventually and then I thought they changed their minds or something so booked some time away in September before the GAMSAT so I can get ready without being around my family. So now I need that time off from the job.

Ahh I hate being adult-ish. I just want to be a kid again.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Probably after 15 Oct since that's the UCAS deadline.

Yeah I'm going to do some extra volunteering in August but I've heard that the 70 hours has to come from at least 2 places. Not sure if it's correct though.

I apparently got the offer on 24 May but never heard anything. Is there a number you could call?

I got no contact details but figured they'd get in touch with me eventually and then I thought they changed their minds or something so booked some time away in September before the GAMSAT so I can get ready without being around my family. So now I need that time off from the job.

When I started as an HCA, I was offered the job in August but then didn't start til September. It's normal for NHS apparently. As for the two sources, Warwick did indeed say that a maximum of 50 hours could come from one source and that the remaining 20 should be from something else. They were also quite prescriptive regarding what they would and wouldn't accept. A list is on their website, or so they said, I haven't checked.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising

Well I called them today and the lady in HR said they hadn't received an application request or something, from the department that hired. And then all she said was I've sent an email and that's it. She didn't say whether she'd call me back or anything like that.

This is stressing me out, I wanna join you on the journey of being a kid again when all I cared about was ice-cream :'(
Reply 854
I just did the ukcat cus I'm **** at science and the exam looked scary
For those taking the UKCAT, how long are setting aside to prep for it and what resources will you be using?
Original post by WannabeDrA
For those taking the UKCAT, how long are setting aside to prep for it and what resources will you be using?

I am using the 1000q book and will use medify closer to the time as well as the official UKCAT resources and mock exams.

Does anyone know what (roughly) will be a good enough score to be considered for interviews? *
Original post by WannabeDrA

Hi WannabeDrA

Have you got your UKCAT booked?

It is a really good idea to set aside a few hours a day, ideally 4+, for the weeks leading up to your test. This could be done on your own with the resources you have chosen or you might decide to take an online course to help you.

It is much better to have a regular practice schedule such as this that to try and cram right before hand. As I am sure you know, cramming is likely to leave you feeling stressed, which is not what you want going into your exam.

As far as is possible you want to make sure you walk into your exam feeling confident and well prepared in order to give yourself the best chance you can.

In terms of resources, there are lots available. There are plenty of books to help, just make sure that you have the most up to date version and that it is the most comprehensive book available. It is also a good idea to get some mock papers and really try to mimic the environment of the actual test as closely as you can.

There are lots of tips for getting yourself ready for the big day in this blog.

Give me a shout if you would like to recommend any specific resources or if you have any more questions I can help with.

UniAdmissions
Just after a little help if anyone can advise :smile:

I'm currently in my final year with the Open University, studying for a BSc in Natural Sciences with a heavily-based Biology/Medicine syllabus and should graduate in June with a 2:1... permitting procrastination keeps its dirty hands off me. I've done plenty of 'extracurricular' activities and have gained medical/healthcare experience while doing my degree although I won't list it all here.

The (GEM) medical schools I was wanting to apply to were ICL, Kings, Southampton and St Barts (Although I've recently seen St Barts requires a B at AS level in Chemistry so St Georges was the other choice).

The problem is,
ICL - BMATSouthampton - UKCATKings - UKCATSt Georges - GAMSATObviously, I don't want to pay for and do all 3 different entrance exams so what would you guys recommend? Imperial would be my first choice but being BMAT, you're applying blind, and I kind of feel it's a little too prestigious for myself and would rather apply for 4 'realistic school's' over 3 and a 'dream'. There again, with a 2:1 and a good BMAT score, anything can happen.

Would you guys recommend choosing 4 schools and sitting the UKCAT and GAMSAT, thus ignoring the likes of ICL and UCL but being able to apply for GEM at St Georges (a good insurance med school due to its 2:2 requirement, incase I mess up) or sit UKCAT and BMAT and 'dream big'?

Thanks for any advise you guys have,

Adam
Original post by AdamCW
Just after a little help if anyone can advise :smile:

I'm currently in my final year with the Open University, studying for a BSc in Natural Sciences with a heavily-based Biology/Medicine syllabus and should graduate in June with a 2:1... permitting procrastination keeps its dirty hands off me. I've done plenty of 'extracurricular' activities and have gained medical/healthcare experience while doing my degree although I won't list it all here.

The (GEM) medical schools I was wanting to apply to were ICL, Kings, Southampton and St Barts (Although I've recently seen St Barts requires a B at AS level in Chemistry so St Georges was the other choice).

The problem is,
ICL - BMATSouthampton - UKCATKings - UKCATSt Georges - GAMSATObviously, I don't want to pay for and do all 3 different entrance exams so what would you guys recommend? Imperial would be my first choice but being BMAT, you're applying blind, and I kind of feel it's a little too prestigious for myself and would rather apply for 4 'realistic school's' over 3 and a 'dream'. There again, with a 2:1 and a good BMAT score, anything can happen.

Would you guys recommend choosing 4 schools and sitting the UKCAT and GAMSAT, thus ignoring the likes of ICL and UCL but being able to apply for GEM at St Georges (a good insurance med school due to its 2:2 requirement, incase I mess up) or sit UKCAT and BMAT and 'dream big'?

Thanks for any advise you guys have,

Adam

Just checking, but you're aware Imperial is a 5 year course and thus isn't tuition fee funding. So you need to pay the £36k for the first for years yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest