The Student Room Group

Underweight and no periods

I'm an 18 year old girl and I have anorexia. I haven't had a period in 4-5 years, can't remember exactly. My bmi is currently 12.3. I am trying to get my weight up and have already put on 1kg. If I keep putting on weight, will I get my period back? At what sort of bmi am I likely to get it back?
there's really no way to tell, it depends on your body

if you knew what your natural weight was that might be some indication of where you'll need to get to but if you haven't had a period in 5 years then you probably don't know that

but some people get their periods back at stupidly low BMIs (e.g. 14) while others don't get it til they pass, for example, 22

good luck with your recovery
Oh I am sorry to hear that. What has your doctor said about this?
Hey, anonymous here just so people that know me don't know its me wrtiting, but my girlfriend used to suffer from anorexia (used to is the key there) and she used to say how she basically never had a period and how upset it made her feel as she didn't 'feel like a woman' however, she used this as a key to eventually make herself better and slowly but surely she started to get a period (granted it was very inconsistent and can vary in terms of heaviness) but to answer your question, there is a chance you could start seeing your periods again if health levels improve, it won't happen overnight, over a week and may not even happen for months, but just keep at it! the things my girlfriend has told me about the illness I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. :smile:
Reply 4
Hi there anonymous :smile:I had been through such days and I admit its hard. As I was loosing weight, I was also loosing hope. My bmi was already the same as yours. What really help me is a nutritionist of course and a psychologist and relevant treatment. You have to be strong and about the periods no worries. Later when things will get better you will cure them with your gynecologist.
Reply 5
Original post by doodle_333
there's really no way to tell, it depends on your body

if you knew what your natural weight was that might be some indication of where you'll need to get to but if you haven't had a period in 5 years then you probably don't know that

but some people get their periods back at stupidly low BMIs (e.g. 14) while others don't get it til they pass, for example, 22

good luck with your recovery

Thank you, as you say I have no idea what my natural BMI might be. I also worry that after 5 years of no periods, they may never come back no matter how much I gain.

Original post by Anonymous
Oh I am sorry to hear that. What has your doctor said about this?

I haven't been to the doctor.

Hey, anonymous here just so people that know me don't know its me wrtiting, but my girlfriend used to suffer from anorexia (used to is the key there) and she used to say how she basically never had a period and how upset it made her feel as she didn't 'feel like a woman' however, she used this as a key to eventually make herself better and slowly but surely she started to get a period (granted it was very inconsistent and can vary in terms of heaviness) but to answer your question, there is a chance you could start seeing your periods again if health levels improve, it won't happen overnight, over a week and may not even happen for months, but just keep at it! the things my girlfriend has told me about the illness I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. :smile:

Thanks so much! I'm glad that your girlfriend is recovered now. Do you know at what sort of weight/bmi her period first came back?

Original post by Anna.V
Hi there anonymous :smile:I had been through such days and I admit its hard. As I was loosing weight, I was also loosing hope. My bmi was already the same as yours. What really help me is a nutritionist of course and a psychologist and relevant treatment. You have to be strong and about the periods no worries. Later when things will get better you will cure them with your gynecologist.

Thank you. I've been down the treatment route before and they managed to get me up to a bmi of 17 but I never got my period back and once they discharged me, I relapsed. I didn't find either the dietitian or psychologists helpful so this time I'm recovering without professional help.

Can I ask whether you got your period back and at what sort of bmi/weight it returned? I am concerned that after 5 years of no periods, I may never get them back no matter how much I may gain.
Thank you, as you say I have no idea what my natural BMI might be. I also worry that after 5 years of no periods, they may never come back no matter how much I gain.

I haven't been to the doctor.

Thanks so much! I'm glad that your girlfriend is recovered now. Do you know at what sort of weight/bmi her period first came back?

Thank you. I've been down the treatment route before and they managed to get me up to a bmi of 17 but I never got my period back and once they discharged me, I relapsed. I didn't find either the dietitian or psychologists helpful so this time I'm recovering without professional help.

Can I ask whether you got your period back and at what sort of bmi/weight it returned? I am concerned that after 5 years of no periods, I may never get them back no matter how much I may gain.

I would really recommend at least pulling your doctor in on this. Your BMI is extremely low and you are at risk of complications while gaining weight. I know you may be worried about hospitalisation etc but if you can demonstrate that you're making progress your doctor might allow you to carry on at home. But either way you need to be monitored to make sure you're not in too much physical danger. Personally I think a psychologist could do you a lot of good as well, just because it didn't work last time doesn't mean it won't work this time, these things don't help until you're really 100% committed to recovering but there will be some rough patches and support could be helpful there. Plus you will be in a different service as an adult.
Reply 7
Original post by doodle_333
I would really recommend at least pulling your doctor in on this. Your BMI is extremely low and you are at risk of complications while gaining weight. I know you may be worried about hospitalisation etc but if you can demonstrate that you're making progress your doctor might allow you to carry on at home. But either way you need to be monitored to make sure you're not in too much physical danger. Personally I think a psychologist could do you a lot of good as well, just because it didn't work last time doesn't mean it won't work this time, these things don't help until you're really 100% committed to recovering but there will be some rough patches and support could be helpful there. Plus you will be in a different service as an adult.

I do appreciate what you're saying. I don't think they'd hospitalise me at this weight so that's not what I'm worried about. I just found it all so invasive last time and it pulled apart my family too. I honestly do much better on my own.
* trigger warning as I mention weight*Hi I actually had that exact same bmi at the beginning of my recovery , so weird I guess . So I am 14 but 15 in 9 days. I haven’t had a period for a year and 9 months. I haven’ been weighed in ages but I was 67 percent weight for height before and now I’m probably 90-92 ish . I went vegetarian and restricted quite a lot at school but now I eat more food and calories and it came back. Just today actually and I am so scared because of body fat and stuff but happy that my mum can stop going on about it. I feel so damn scared about it , I lost my periods when was like 47kg and smaller and now i’m probably like 42/43. But my mom says I probably lost it due to stress in the first place. It’s the summer holidays and I have been working without pressure and that is very relaxing to me. I still get quite stressed and can’t sleep and think I’m fat and have a huge but and obtrusive thoughts . Also I am about 160cm. I am not technically at my healthy weight of 95 percent or more that my treatment team wants also these figures were from when I was 156cm so I am probably about 89-90 really . I know my treatment team will probably want me to restore weight anyway but that is really hard having it back and everything. So basically I have the opposite problem, I have it back and it scares the s*** out of me! Because it means I have fat stores also I went on the Tabitha farrar recovery page where she talked about needed to get a pot belly before it’s return and now every so often I am just staring at my stomach going I must have a pot belly. This is a really disordered post but getting it back opened a lot of holes for me. You see I don’t feel recovered enough for it. I still am disordered and will only eat in front of other people. I hate gaining weight . I don’t know I just don’t feel ready you know.
I think‘you should post it to general health forum.

Have you ever had period? If you never have it, maybe there is problem with your genes, which means you are indeed a male (XY), but look like a female

Quick Reply

Latest