The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medstudent1010
Thank you!will you be going to medical school this year?if yes which one?

I sense tension. Calm down, Mliela made quite a polite observation, that you could've gone about giving advice a little clearer; though I'm sure your intentions were just. Stop spreading your feathers in response. We know they're bright and colourful, and that you're going to study the subject of your dreams soon :wink:. Remember, this is a space for UKCAT talk.

Out of interest, PM me your application story if you like. How did you prepare for interviews, etc? And why do you want to study Medicine? Truthfully.

Hope to hear soon.

G
Original post by dr_2b
Ignoring truffle, it does look like jack has the fastest avg speed but i don't see why it's not truffle :smile:
Shouldn't truffle have avg speed 11 mph..effectively making it the fastest?

My bad, it was 1 h 14 Min for truffle ^^
so, i did the kaplan Diagnostic test in their book (ignoring DA). Using their table to scale the scores, i got 700 on VR, 890 on QR, and 730 on AR, Band 2 SJT. But i want to confirm that the difficulty is somewhat similar, and so is the scaling of marks?
Thank you!will you be going to medical school this year?if yes which one?

Yeah I will. Manchester. Where are you going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by G.name
I sense tension. Calm down, Mliela made quite a polite observation, that you could've gone about giving advice a little clearer; though I'm sure your intentions were just. Stop spreading your feathers in response. We know they're bright and colourful, and that you're going to study the subject of your dreams soon :wink:. Remember, this is a space for UKCAT talk.

Out of interest, PM me your application story if you like. How did you prepare for interviews, etc? And why do you want to study Medicine? Truthfully.

Hope to hear soon.

G

Haha thank you. Just wanted to make no one was mislead. People just need to remember that so much goes into applying to medicine. And where you apply is probably one of the most important things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 745
Original post by 123chem
My bad, it was 1 h 14 Min for truffle ^^

Ah ok. Then jack it is :smile:
Hey everyone, I am currently practising as I will sit the exam late in beginning October, but I am thinking of being medify and have doubts about it... Has anyone tried it this year? I would like to know 1) does the VR have relevant to the actual exam questions, ie the structure of it is mainly statement questions now instead of true false cant tell, and last years medify was almost entirely T/F/CT instead which was totally unhelpful to practice... Also 2) is the AR adequately complex? because I have been reading varying comments on that too... Also 3) I expect medify has changed its layout to exclude the code and have the new part instead? Anyone could please advise, as I do not want to pay £50 for nothing. Is there any other GOOD online practice tests I can use/buy or free or whatever?Theofficial ones are quite good but are not too many I have almost finished them, and the 600 questions is too old i think, prob outdated? Any opinions?? Thanks x
Original post by hayleeyy
Hey!

How long do people spend preparing for the UKCAT? My exam is at the start of September and so far I have only really touched on each section a little bit due to working 14 hour days as a carer:coffee:
Should i try and do a little bit every day or dedicate one day a week to it? :colondollar:**

Mine is on September the 10th and I will start revising end of this month. Im going to purchase Medify last 2 weeks.
Original post by G.name

Hope to hear soon.

G

I wasn't.I keep seeing people on this thread with a ukcat of 690+ asking if they have done badly and I remember how when I got my ukcat score how low I thought it was, I just want to remind people that you can get into medical school with a low/medium ukcat
And yeah I will pm you now
Original post by mliela
Yeah I will. Manchester. Where are you going?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Barts :smile:
Barts :smile:

Congratulations and good luck. I got into barts too but didn't want to be in London. Your UCAS tarring must have been super high.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AliceLewis
Hey everyone, I am currently practising as I will sit the exam late in beginning October, but I am thinking of being medify and have doubts about it... Has anyone tried it this year? I would like to know 1) does the VR have relevant to the actual exam questions, ie the structure of it is mainly statement questions now instead of true false cant tell, and last years medify was almost entirely T/F/CT instead which was totally unhelpful to practice... Also 2) is the AR adequately complex? because I have been reading varying comments on that too... Also 3) I expect medify has changed its layout to exclude the code and have the new part instead? Anyone could please advise, as I do not want to pay £50 for nothing. Is there any other GOOD online practice tests I can use/buy or free or whatever?Theofficial ones are quite good but are not too many I have almost finished them, and the 600 questions is too old i think, prob outdated? Any opinions?? Thanks x

Why so late? Trust me it's better to get it done in the summer. It also doesn't give you much time before your application has to be sent in.
MEDIFY is amazing. Last years questions aren't too different to this year except for the change in one section. And MEDIFY has tried to reflect any changes. Also you don't need the £50 subscription. Two weeks for around £35 will do. Or even three weeks. I'd go with MEDIFY definitely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
Why so late? Trust me it's better to get it done in the summer. It also doesn't give you much time before your application has to be sent in.
MEDIFY is amazing. Last years questions aren't too different to this year except for the change in one section. And MEDIFY has tried to reflect any changes. Also you don't need the £50 subscription. Two weeks for around £35 will do. Or even three weeks. I'd go with MEDIFY definitely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup @AliceLewis

Medify is amazing, I'm on it at the moment, and it's my biggest resource :smile: :groovy:
Reply 753
Help with ukcat questions please

For question 3.4 I'm not sure why the answer is 901 and not 900
For question 3.7 I understand 5 x 60=300 yards but I understand what to do next
(pictures attached)
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi hayleeyy

Hoping I can offer some advice on this.

If your test isn't until the start of September then you are starting in good time. Will you be working 14 hours a day right up until your test?

Ideally you should try to work out a regular schedule for studying for several weeks up until your exam date and I would say it is better to do a few hours each day rather than try to cram it into one day a week. This could be done on your own, or you could look into a UKCAT course.

Remember that the more resources you have available to you, the better. This should be in the form of mock papers, practice questions, books etc. It would be a good idea to start sourcing these now so you are not scrambling around trying to find them in the run up to your test. Do let me know if you would like some pointers on resources that will help.

You might like to read this blog as it has lots of tips for getting ready for the UCKAT.

I hope that is helpful... do give me a shout if I can answer any questions for you.

UniAdmissions

Thank you very much for the advice :smile: **
Original post by osayukiigbinoba

(pictures attached)

I don't know about 3.4 but for 3.7
hunter a walks at 60yd min . so after 5 mins 300 yards. but AC is only 240 yds so that means he started walking at CD and walked for 60 yds (300-240).
For hunter b he walked 240 + 90(150-60). So speed = distance/time
so 240+90= 330 then 330/5=66 yd/min
hope this helps
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hayleeyy
Thank you very much for the advice :smile: **

You're very welcome.

Let me know if there is anything eels I can help with.

UniAdmissions
Reply 757
Original post by osayukiigbinoba

(pictures attached)

For the first question, the extra one is the first row before you make the first six inch space. So imagine you are standing by a wall and you want to line up bottles. The first row will be next to the wall. The second will be six inches further, etc.

Regarding the second question, you know that the other hunter travelled 300 yards so that takes him across the horizontal line: 300-240 = 60 and 60 yards down the vertical line.

The hunter will not take another step forward because the other guy will meet him there as they mentioned.

Given the vertical line is 150 yards and the hunter has covered 60 of those yards, it implies his hunter friend will have to travel 1. From b anticlockwise through tbe horizontal line (240) and 2. Up the rest of the vertical line: 150-60=90.

So 240+90=330. Et voila: 330/5=66

Hope this helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AliceLewis

Hi AliceLewis

It can be really difficult to know which resources are the best to spend your money on can't it. Especially as everyone will tell you that theirs are the best (myself included :h:!)

You have touched on this in what you said but one thing I would say is that you need to make sure that whatever books you are using are the most up to date available. It is also worth checking how comprehensive each book is as they do vary quite a lot. Then it is obviously always worth checking some reviews on Amazon to get an idea of what other people thought of it.

With regards to practice tests it is worth trying to find out how closely they mimic the real thing. Again, you can see what other people had to say about this in their reviews.

It sounds as though you are getting yourself into a really good position for your test in October, which is fantastic. Allowing yourself plenty of time to practise in the weeks leading up to your test really is the best way to ensure that you walk into the exam feeling confident and relaxed.

You might find this blog we have written blog interesting for some tips on preparing yourself for the big day.

Do give me a shout if you have any questions I can help with.

UniAdmissions
Reply 759
Original post by Potatoo
I don't know about 3.4 but for 3.7
hunter a walks at 60yd min . so after 5 mins 300 yards. but AC is only 240 yds so that means he started walking at CD and walked for 60 yds (300-240).
For hunter b he walked 240 + 90(150-60). So speed = distance/time
so 240+90= 330 then 330/5=66 yd/min
hope this helps

Thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending