The Student Room Group

How to get an A/A* in English Language

So my target grade is an A, and now both my best friend and boyfriend have left my sixth form, I am ready to knuckle down and do as much work as possible to better my grades. Does anyone have any advice for extra reading/watching/extra curricular activities to help my English Language grade?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Nat15
So my target grade is an A, and now both my best friend and boyfriend have left my sixth form, I am ready to knuckle down and do as much work as possible to better my grades. Does anyone have any advice for extra reading/watching/extra curricular activities to help my English Language grade?

Hey! I just sat my cie igcse English language exam this may 2016 and here are a few things I followed myself:

As an eca, you could read a lot of
books( classics)/ plays/poems/ news papers especially.
Another trick my teacher my class to do was to. Analyse absolutely everything. Pick any random word and see how many synonyms and connotations you can think of.

You could also learn a new word from the dictionary everyday to further your vocabulary bank.
I have learnt a lot of perspectives and vocabulary from movies( especially English classics) too.

Playing scrabble with your mates can help too.

Good luck achieving the grade you want.😉
Original post by 2000rules
Hey! I just sat my cie igcse English language exam this may 2016 and here are a few things I followed myself:

As an eca, you could read a lot of
books( classics)/ plays/poems/ news papers especially.
Another trick my teacher my class to do was to. Analyse absolutely everything. Pick any random word and see how many synonyms and connotations you can think of.

You could also learn a new word from the dictionary everyday to further your vocabulary bank.
I have learnt a lot of perspectives and vocabulary from movies( especially English classics) too.

Playing scrabble with your mates can help too.

Good luck achieving the grade you want.😉

IGCSE Lang will always be the death of me. I did my exam this year too and whilst it wasn't anywhere near the worst I've done, there was a lot of implying involved.
Reply 4
David Crystal has some interesting articles, videos and books. You can find him on YouTube.

Quick Reply