The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Can you study OU modules on their own and do universities accept them?

@Snufkin

Hi Snufkin, I was just wondering if it's possible to 'top-up' an existing university qualification with individual units from the OU. I've achieved a CertHE in Chemistry from an english university but I failed 2 modules due to extenuating personal circumstances. I left the university with aim to study a similar but different course (medicinal chemistry.) Most of the universities I've applied to have a module in the first year of their courses that I didn't study. I'm asking if it would be possible to make up the lost credits with OU modules.

I'm asking you because I know you have experience in this area, your time and help is much appreciated in advance :smile:
Hey!

Assuming the universities you want to apply to would accept an OU module as a replacement for this first year module (and that is by no means guaranteed, you need to ask them), the OU may not have any modules in the subject you need. All OU level 1 (first year) modules are very broad; the level 1 science modules don't contain much chemistry at all. The level 2 chemistry module might cover it, have a look and see. http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/s215

What is the module you need out of interest?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Snufkin
Hey!

Assuming the universities you want to apply to would accept an OU module as a replacement for this first year module (and that is by no means guaranteed, you need to ask them), the OU may not have any modules in the subject you need. All OU level 1 (first year) modules are very broad; the level 1 science modules don't contain much chemistry at all. The level 2 chemistry module might cover it, have a look and see. http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/modules/s215

What is the module you need out of interest?

Hi Snufkin, thanks for getting back to me

The module(s) I'm interested in is primarily physiology or anatomy and maybe organic chemistry. Mainly because medicinal chemistry involves learning about human biology aswell as chemistry but most of the chemistry content asked for by other universities I've already covered.

Thanks again
The 'S104 Exploring science' module did (I think) cover basic physiology, anatomy and organic chemistry but it has been discontinued and it's replacement won't be available until October 2017, and I'm not sure if the new module will cover the same things anyway. I really think you should speak to the universities you want to apply to and ask them if any OU modules would be suitable.

You may have to study year 1 again. :frown:
Original post by Snufkin
The 'S104 Exploring science' module did (I think) cover basic physiology, anatomy and organic chemistry but it has been discontinued and it's replacement won't be available until October 2017, and I'm not sure if the new module will cover the same things anyway. I really think you should speak to the universities you want to apply to and ask them if any OU modules would be suitable.

You may have to study year 1 again. :frown:

Thank you for your advice, it's not a big problem as some lower end uni's have said they might let me onto their second years but I'd rather just spend £1000-£3000 then £9000 on doing the same thing again, you get me? I'll contact the universities anyway and thank you again for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest