The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing a foundation year to get into a good uni?

Well..is it? Is it worth doing a foundation year at say something that's ranked 18th or 19th on the leagues or go straight into a uni which is 45th on the leagues.

Scroll to see replies

Ive been offered a foundation year for Unis that were at the bottom of my choice list and Ive recieved unconditional offers from Unis that were at the top of my choice list. That shows that theres no direct correlation between how good a Uni is and the type of offer you recieve.

Secondly, it might be good to get the whole rank thing straight out of your head. It can be absolutely crippling.

I've applied to Unis that are not even in the top 100 of international top rankings and yet they're still the best unis in a specific field in a certain region.

All Im saying is that you want to be sure to go to a great university, but just dont get hung up on that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Galaxie501
Ive been offered a foundation year for Unis that were at the bottom of my choice list and Ive recieved unconditional offers from Unis that were at the top of my choice list. That shows that theres no direct correlation between how good a Uni is and the type of offer you recieve.

Secondly, it might be good to get the whole rank thing straight out of your head. It can be absolutely crippling.

I've applied to Unis that are not even in the top 100 of international top rankings and yet they're still the best unis in a specific field in a certain region.

All Im saying is that you want to be sure to go to a great university, but just dont get hung up on that.

I'm worried about graduate prospects and starting salaries. Places like Leeds and Manchester get swarmed by employers wanting business graduates. The Aldi graduate scheme for example (£42000 starting pay and brand new Audi A4 company car) head hunts at those unis and most of their area managers are from those type of unis; top 20. So I'm just wondering whether its a better idea to do an extra year and go somewhere more prestigious like Leeds..currently I've firmed Swansea. In wake of brexit are employers going to give me a fair starting salary? No point in going to an average uni if they're going to offer £17000-£20000. Some schemes have base pay of £28000 but are they even going to consider me if I went to Swansea?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themini
Well..is it? Is it worth doing a foundation year at say something that's ranked 18th or 19th on the leagues or go straight into a uni which is 45th on the leagues.

Yes, the reasons being is that you move on with your life... your still in education and don't let your skills become rusty and being a gap year student whos going to uni in September I can relate to being out of touch from some :work: .

Personally, the way I see it is that if the extra +1 year means you'll be mentally happier at where you'll be then its 100% worth it. Pro tip: look at the bigger picture than short term.
Reply 4
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Yes, the reasons being is that you move on with your life... your still in education and don't let your skills become rusty and being a gap year student whos going to uni in September I can relate to being out of touch from some :work: .

Personally, the way I see it is that if the extra +1 year means you'll be mentally happier at where you'll be then its 100% worth it. Pro tip: look at the bigger picture than short term.

I was happy with Swansea but pressure from my other halve's family has got me thinking.I just don't know, I'm so confused about this. I don't know whether its worth it or whether its scare tactics from their side? Does it matter if you go to a prestigious uni down the line in your career? Or with starting salaries? The course that i'd have to do at Leeds would be a bit more challenging, the one at Swansea would be more of a doddle as I've covered most of the subject areas at A level and have a basic understanding.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themini
I was happy with Swansea but pressure from my other halve's family has got me thinking.I just don't know, I'm so confused about this. I don't know whether its worth it or whether its scare tactics from their side? Does it matter if you go to a prestigious uni down the line in your career?

I can relate. :hugs:

All that matters down the line is your doing something you :heart: and in a place where you'd be happy at with no regrets. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I can relate. :hugs:

All that matters down the line is your doing something you :heart: and in a place where you'd be happy at with no regrets. :smile:

Still none the wiser. Thanks anyway <3
I think so. My course is 4 years anyway without a foundation year, so i don't see why not.
Reply 8
just try and get a 2:1 and nobody will care that much where you got the degree from ....
Reply 9
Original post by fefssdf
just try and get a 2:1 and nobody will care that much where you got the degree from ....

I thought that as well, but I'm just not sure! Has anyone gone through this process?
Reply 10
@MrsSheldonCooper any ideas? :s-smilie:
Original post by Themini
I thought that as well, but I'm just not sure! Has anyone gone through this process?

If you want to get a job with Aldi then focus on meeting their requirements - https://www.aldirecruitment.co.uk/graduate/#who-we-look-for

They don't filter by university. Just because they don't go to the careers fair doesn't mean they will bin applications from other universities.
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
If you want to get a job with Aldi then focus on meeting their requirements - https://www.aldirecruitment.co.uk/graduate/#who-we-look-for

They don't filter by university. Just because they don't go to the careers fair doesn't mean they will bin applications from other universities.

I'd rather kill myself than go to Aldi. That was just an example. But most of their successful area managers that are taken on are from Russell or imperial backgrounds. Just a point I was making, whether businesses won't take me on their graduate schemes if Russell group types apply, or they'll pay me less if I went to Swansea, or whether companies will not promote me if someone from Russell group is in the business. That kind of stuff. I just want to know if its worth it, especially long term. How much the university I go to will shape my future, or the graduate scheme offers I get, like the ones run by Nationwide or other financial institutes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themini
I'd rather kill myself than go to Aldi. That was just an example. But most of their successful area managers that are taken on are from Russell or imperial backgrounds. Just a point I was making, whether they'll pay me less if I went to Swansea, or whether companies will not promote me if someone from Russell group is in the business. That kind of stuff. I just want to know if its worth it, especially long term. How much the university I go to will shape my future, or the graduate scheme offers I get, like the ones run by Nationwide or other financial institutes.

If you only apply for graduate schemes for companies that attend your university careers fairs then you are better off going to a large city based university where there'll be lots of companies coming to the careers fairs (companies go where they'll get the most bang for their buck - so lots of students likely top meet their academic criteria).

If you're able to get off your arse and apply to graduate schemes without having your hand held by a recruiter from the company then it doesn't matter much where you go. Most people don't know the universities that are members of the russell group (I worked with academics employed by a russell group university who weren't aware of the other members).

The point with the Aldi thing is: if you want to know what graduate recruiters are looking for ASK THEM DIRECTLY. Ask them whether they'd view a foundation year BSc from Manchester as preferable to a degree without foundation from Swansea. Asking on TSR isn't going to get you an authoritative response.
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
If you only apply for graduate schemes for companies that attend your university careers fairs then you are better off going to a large city based university where there'll be lots of companies coming to the careers fairs (companies go where they'll get the most bang for their buck - so lots of students likely top meet their academic criteria).

If you're able to get off your arse and apply to graduate schemes without having your hand held by a recruiter from the company then it doesn't matter much where you go. Most people don't know the universities that are members of the russell group (I worked with academics employed by a russell group university who weren't aware of the other members).

The point with the Aldi thing is: if you want to know what graduate recruiters are looking for ASK THEM DIRECTLY. Ask them whether they'd view a foundation year BSc from Manchester as preferable to a degree without foundation from Swansea. Asking on TSR isn't going to get you an authoritative response.

I've emailed the head of HR of Barclays, operations at Nationwide and regional manager at Tescos. I'm just awaiting replies. Just out of curiosity I've popped this thread up as I'm aware a lot of 25 year old + are on this forum.
Many 'top' Unis will not accept Foundation courses. Its effectively an A level retake and they often wont allow this for specific courses. Also Foundation courses do not have a universal accreditation body so they are of whatever standard the University offering it thinks is okay for their degree courses. - it may not have the right content for any other Uni. So check carefully before you think of doing this - you may be better off just retaking your A levels,

And, as above, the 'this Uni is better than that Uni' is something that only school-leavers obsess about - main stream employers arent bothered, and 'Russell Group' is just a marketing device - it doesnt mean 'better' Uni or course, or 'better graduate' and employers know this : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34384668
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Themini
@MrsSheldonCooper any ideas? :s-smilie:

If you love Swansea, go for it. Make sure you apply for internships at big companies (one of my friends got a JP Morgan internship from his uni careers advisor) and come out with above a 2:1 and you should be fine.
Reply 17
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
If you love Swansea, go for it. Make sure you apply for internships at big companies (one of my friends got a JP Morgan internship from his uni careers advisor) and come out with above a 2:1 and you should be fine.

<3. Btw which uni did your friend go to?
Original post by Themini
<3. Btw which uni did your friend go to?

He goes to Southampton. I would tag him on here but he's not on too much :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending