The Student Room Group

How to prepare for A Levels?

So I'm doing German, Economics, Maths and English Lit.
Please could you tell me how to prepare for these subjects if you do/did any of the ones I'm doing! I'm only wanting to do a bit as I want to relax and enjoy my summer but if I dont do anything for 2 months I feel I'll be a bit rusty come September!
Thanks in advance!! :smile:
For maths go onto exam solutions and watch all his topic videos. They explain things really well and it should mean that when you return in September you'll be able to do your work easily. Try and go over C1 at least cause its really easy and the content isn't much different GCSE, then have a look at C2 which is slightly harder.
Reply 2
get the textbooks and familiarise yourself with the content
for languages(I didnt do german but did Spanish) try and do as much speaking as possible particularly to lile your teacher or someone on that level also get use to using all the tenses including irregulars(I think you have them in german) for maths id say look at a few topics over the summer and do any questions you can but maje sure you have your gcse basucs down and its good if you have an idea of what third unit your doing as well like m1 or s1 etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HopelessMedic
For maths go onto exam solutions and watch all his topic videos. They explain things really well and it should mean that when you return in September you'll be able to do your work easily. Try and go over C1 at least cause its really easy and the content isn't much different GCSE, then have a look at C2 which is slightly harder.

Thank you! very helpful :smile:
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
for languages(I didnt do german but did Spanish) try and do as much speaking as possible particularly to lile your teacher or someone on that level also get use to using all the tenses including irregulars(I think you have them in german) for maths id say look at a few topics over the summer and do any questions you can but maje sure you have your gcse basucs down and its good if you have an idea of what third unit your doing as well like m1 or s1 etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Yes unfortunately we do have those irregulars :frown:(
Hey, for languages learning vocab is probably the best prep you can do while you have nobody to practice with, so I'd hit up some A2 german lists online (like this one http://www.memrise.com/course/43422/german-vocabulary-a22/) and work through them :smile:
yeah this is also really good advice as you need to be able to use alot of vocab in writing and speaking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Well for English lit I'm going to prepare by reading my texts (I've been told what I'll be studying by my school) and taking notes on them.
Languages I'll mostly just revise a bit of vocab and basic grammar eg.tenses as I forget that stuff really easily even though they're not difficult!
Good luck with starting your a levels!
Original post by helloemillyyyyy
So I'm doing German, Economics, Maths and English Lit.
Please could you tell me how to prepare for these subjects if you do/did any of the ones I'm doing! I'm only wanting to do a bit as I want to relax and enjoy my summer but if I dont do anything for 2 months I feel I'll be a bit rusty come September!
Thanks in advance!! :smile:

For english Lit defo read the assigned texts or any in that genre you'll be studying- or even watch the ThugNotes and other videos about it to get an idea. If you dont know what you're studying check your school's website for the exam board and find out there. As for the others you could try flicking through the text books but at the end of the day, I dont think summer-reading helps that much. Good Luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest