The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Heya! :smile:

My exam is on the 29th of July (pretty soon :biggrin: ) and I'm going well with the revision process; however, my biggest struggle seems to be QR and more specifically understanding the layout of the information rather than how to calculate the problem. I feel I just can't get my head round some of the graphs and tables in Medify's QR and I thought I was good at reading data after I've read gazillion articles for my degree :biggrin: Any tips and advice on how to improve this? And did you find the QR in the real exam similar to the one on Medify?

Also, anybody who already sat their UKCAT - what was the ratio of T/F/C and lengthy questions in the exam? I saw someone mentioned they barely got any T/F/C, which is bad news :biggrin:

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Reply 761
Original post by dr_2b
For the first question, the extra one is the first row before you make the first six inch space. So imagine you are standing by a wall and you want to line up bottles. The first row will be next to the wall. The second will be six inches further, etc.

Regarding the second question, you know that the other hunter travelled 300 yards so that takes him across the horizontal line: 300-240 = 60 and 60 yards down the vertical line.

The hunter will not take another step forward because the other guy will meet him there as they mentioned.

Given the vertical line is 150 yards and the hunter has covered 60 of those yards, it implies his hunter friend will have to travel 1. From b anticlockwise through tbe horizontal line (240) and 2. Up the rest of the vertical line: 150-60=90.

So 240+90=330. Et voila: 330/5=66

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much
Original post by osayukiigbinoba
Help with ukcat questions please

For question 3.4 I'm not sure why the answer is 901 and not 900

Like it says. You have 900 intervals so you need 901 lines to define those intervals.
Original post by Hipp0campus
Heya! :smile:

My exam is on the 29th of July (pretty soon :biggrin: ) and I'm going well with the revision process; however, my biggest struggle seems to be QR and more specifically understanding the layout of the information rather than how to calculate the problem. I feel I just can't get my head round some of the graphs and tables in Medify's QR and I thought I was good at reading data after I've read gazillion articles for my degree :biggrin: Any tips and advice on how to improve this? And did you find the QR in the real exam similar to the one on Medify?

Also, anybody who already sat their UKCAT - what was the ratio of T/F/C and lengthy questions in the exam? I saw someone mentioned they barely got any T/F/C, which is bad news :biggrin:

Thanks a lot! :smile:

I got. 1/3 T/F and 2/3 wordy
I was so worried about my QR marks which were around 40% but now i've been practicing i get about 70% which isn't what i want but it is a massive improvement for me. However when i get hard questions about conversions or i get them wrong and cant get my head around them, any clues on how i can improve my conversion understanding?
I've done it!!! Shocked and disappointed at the same time really...

VR 600 (not happy!!)
QR 710
AR 720
SJT Band 1

Can anyone advice me on where to go from here? I want to do GEM and I was counting on Warwick, but they have a cut off VR score. The only other places I've seen that are GEM that use ukcat and don't look at a-level results (didn't do them at college) are Warwick, Newcastle, Barts and Kings college.

Is it worth applying to any of them? Or are my chances of an interview slim?
Original post by Joanne86
I've done it!!! Shocked and disappointed at the same time really...

VR 600 (not happy!!)
QR 710
AR 720
SJT Band 1

Can anyone advice me on where to go from here? I want to do GEM and I was counting on Warwick, but they have a cut off VR score. The only other places I've seen that are GEM that use ukcat and don't look at a-level results (didn't do them at college) are Warwick, Newcastle, Barts and Kings college.

Is it worth applying to any of them? Or are my chances of an interview slim?

The cutoff for Warwick for VR is that you have you have scored over national average. In past years that was around the 580 mark so you should be fine.
Original post by UKCATrocks
The cutoff for Warwick for VR is that you have you have scored over national average. In past years that was around the 580 mark so you should be fine.

Seriously???!! You don't know how happy that's made me!!! I was considering cancelling my test the other day because I was convinced id fail!
Seriously???!! You don't know how happy that's made me!!! I was considering cancelling my test the other day because I was convinced id fail!

Yes seriously, in fact I discussed this very issue with one guy called Hugh Laurie in this thread because he was also worried and we looked it up. That's why I know, cos otherwise it's not really my area of expertise lol

Your Avg score is actually very good, just because everyone on here aims and achieves 700+ , normally with a score like yours you stand a good chance considering people on here will get a lot higher than most applicants you are in a high decile :smile: well done x
Original post by clairebear101
Your Avg score is actually very good, just because everyone on here aims and achieves 700+ , normally with a score like yours you stand a good chance considering people on here will get a lot higher than most applicants you are in a high decile :smile: well done x

This seems to be a recurring message. Is it that or that people are just doing better this year, averagely?

I'm not trying to offend. Just trying to open up a discussion
Original post by G.name
This seems to be a recurring message. Is it that or that people are just doing better this year, averagely?

I'm not trying to offend. Just trying to open up a discussion

TSR isn't necessarily a good sample to base averages on. Just wait for the real averages to be released and all will be revealed!
Original post by usycool1
TSR isn't necessarily a good sample to base averages on. Just wait for the real averages to be released and all will be revealed!

When are the averages released? And will they give an idea of what Warwick will use as a cut off? Or is it just guess work?
so, i did the kaplan Diagnostic test in their book (ignoring DA). Using their table to scale the scores, i got 700 on VR, 890 on QR, and 730 on AR, Band 2 SJT. But i want to confirm that the difficulty is somewhat similar, and so is the scaling of marks?
When are the averages released? And will they give an idea of what Warwick will use as a cut off? Or is it just guess work?

Early October or late September. About two or so weeks before the UCAS deadline for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manchester say they don't get the UKCAT scores before November. The UKCAT ends on 5 October so I doubt the results are released before application deadline.

The answer to your other question is here: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/study/ugr/applying/entryreqs/#uckat
(edited 7 years ago)
Manchester say they don't get the UKCAT scores before November. The UKCAT ends on 5 October so I doubt the results are released before application deadline.

The answer to your other question is here: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/study/ugr/applying/entryreqs/#uckat

They release preliminary averages and deciles in the first week of October. To give a better picture to those applying. Universities get them later. After you've applied you fill a form on the UKCAT website staying which UKCAT universities you've applied to so they can send it off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mliela
They release preliminary averages and deciles in the first week of October. To give a better picture to those applying. Universities get them later. After you've applied you fill a form on the UKCAT website staying which UKCAT universities you've applied to so they can send it off.

Ah cool, I didn't know that. Is that just posted on their website or do they send emails?
Ah cool, I didn't know that. Is that just posted on their website or do they send emails?

It's posted on their website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So i just did my test today and i am so happy!
I got:
VR: 720
QR: 850
AR: 790
SJT band 1

Actually quite surprised about that, especially the QR since in the mock i did, i only got 650 in it :lol:

Guess i will be probably be able to apply to Newcastle :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending