The Student Room Group

Core

http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Core-Maths/Core-Maths-C3/2007-January/paper.php#Q6

how do i draw a graph of

ln(1x)?ln(1-x)?

i can drawn ln(1+x) or ln(x1) or ln(2x) or ln(x2)ln(1+x)\ or\ ln(x-1)\ or\ ln(2x)\ or\ ln(x^2)

but they never taught me how to draw a graph of ln something minus x how do i do it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
It will just be a few simple transformations (reflections, translations) so the graph will still look similar.
You may need to just re write it using latex because I can't really understand what you have put.
Reply 2
Original post by timebent
http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Core-Maths/Core-Maths-C3/2007-January/paper.php#Q6

how do i draw a graph of

ln1x?ln1-x?

i can drawn ln1+x or lnx1 or ln2x or lnx2ln1+x\ or\ lnx-1\ or\ ln2x\ or\ lnx^2

but they never taught me how to draw a graph of ln something minus x how do i do it?

You realise ln1 is just 0 so in fact you're just drawing -x which is just a straight line through the origin with a negative gradient
Reply 3
Original post by B_9710
It will just be a few simple transformations (reflections, translations) so the graph will still look similar.
You may need to just re write it using latex because I can't really understand what you have put.

you want some brackets? i guess i should probably put them in, check back again after you get the notification
Original post by target21859
You realise ln1 is just 0 so in fact you're just drawing -x which is just a straight line through the origin with a negative gradient

yes but surely this is the transformation of
and thus i'd just move the graph right 1 unit?

but yea i want to reflect it in the y-axis if it's -x
Reply 4

He (obviously) means ln(1x)\ln (1-x).

@OP. Denote f(x)=lnxf(x) = \ln x then g(x)=f(x)=ln(x)g(x) = f(-x) = \ln (-x) is a reflection in the yy-axis of f(x)f(x). Draw this.

Now h(x)=g(x+1)=ln(x+1)=ln(1x)h(x) = g(x+1) = \ln(-x +1) = \ln(1-x) which is a translation to the left by one unit of g(x)g(x). Can you now draw this?
Reply 5
you want some brackets? i guess i should probably put them in, check back again after you get the notification

yes but surely this is the transformation of and thus i'd just move the graph right 1 unit?

but yea i want to reflect it in the y-axis if it's -x

This is just f(-x) as the a part is 0 because ln1=0
Edit: just saw Zacken's post. Didn't realise there were meant to be brackets so ignore my posts lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
He (obviously) means ln(1x)\ln (1-x).

@OP. Denote f(x)=lnxf(x) = \ln x then g(x)=f(x)=ln(x)g(x) = f(-x) = \ln (-x) is a reflection in the yy-axis of f(x)f(x). Draw this.

Now h(x)=g(x+1)=ln(x+1)=ln(1x)h(x) = g(x+1) = \ln(-x +1) = \ln(1-x) which is a translation to the left by one unit of g(x)g(x). Can you now draw this?

so 1 unit to the left of the graph y=lnxy=\ln x reflected in the y-axis?

This is just f(-x) as the a part is 0 because ln1=0
Edit: just saw Zacken's post. Didn't realise there were meant to be brackets.

:biggrin: sorry about that
Reply 7
so 1 unit to the left of the graph y=lnxy=\ln x reflected in the y-axis?

Yes.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Yes.

awesome

so what about the flipside

y=212exy=2-\dfrac{1}{2} e^x

what about one of these?
Reply 9
awesome

so what about the flipside

y=212exy=2-\dfrac{1}{2} e^x

what about one of these?

You work through it for yourself systematically first before opening the spoiler below, it's all very procedural.

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
You work through it for yourself systematically first before opening the spoiler below, it's all very procedural.

Spoiler

i drew the graph like this.
y=ex y=12exy=e^x\ y=\frac{1}{2}e^x
y=-0.5e^x y=2-0.5e^x

i wasn't sure whether it went above the x-axis or not :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
i drew the graph like this.
y=ex y=12ex[br]y=12ex y=212exy=e^x\ y=\frac{1}{2}e^x[br]y=-\frac{1}{2}e^x\ y=2-\frac{1}{2}e^x

i wasn't sure whether it went above the x-axis or not :/

1. Your attempts to use LaTeX aren't helping, could you please stick to/at least provide ascii typed mathematical expressions of the form y = e^x, y = (1/2) e^x, etc... so that we may understand what you are saying.

2. You should know basic properties of exp\exp. It has an asymptote at the xx-axis, so y=0y=0. The first transformation, halving the function "changes" the asymptote to y=02=0y = \frac{0}{2} = 0. The second transformation, reflecting the curve "changes the asymptote to y=02=0y = -\frac{0}{2} = 0. The third transformation shifts the asymptote 2 units upwards, so changes it to y=02+2=2y = -\frac{0}{2} + 2 = 2. So your graph is correct, indeed it is asymptotic to the line y=2y = 2 as xx \to -\infty and then diverges off to negative infinity as xx \to \infty. Furthermore, it has a y-intercept of (0,1)(0, 1) and an xx-intercept at (ln2,0)(\ln 2, 0).
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
1. Your attempts to use LaTeX aren't helping, could you please stick to/at least provide ascii typed mathematical expressions of the form y = e^x, y = (1/2) e^x, etc... so that we may understand what you are saying.

2. You should know basic properties of exp\exp. It has an asymptote at the xx-axis, so y=0y=0. The first transformation, halving the function "changes" the asymptote to y=02=0y = \frac{0}{2} = 0. The second transformation, reflecting the curve "changes the asymptote to y=02=0y = -\frac{0}{2} = 0. The third transformation shifts the asymptote 2 units upwards, so changes it to y=02+2=2y = -\frac{0}{2} + 2 = 2. So your graph is correct, indeed it is asymptotic to the line y=2y = 2 as xx \to -\infty and then diverges off to negative infinity as xx \to \infty. Furthermore, it has a y-intercept of (0,1)(0, 1) and an xx-intercept at (ln2,0)(\ln 2, 0).

So y-intercept means x=0

so if i stick x=0 into y=212exy=2-\frac{1}{2} e^x e^x becomes 1
1x0.5=0.5
so 2-0.5=1.5 which isn't 1 or did i go wrong somewhere?

and it touches the x axis at y=0
so when y=0
0=212ex0=2-\frac{1}{2} e^x

2=12ex2=\frac{1}{2} e^x

4=ex4=e^x

ln4=xln4=x

where did it all go wrong? :frown:
Reply 13
So y-intercept means x=0

so if i stick x=0 into y=212exy=2-\frac{1}{2} e^x e^x becomes 1
1x0.5=0.5
so 2-0.5=1.5 which isn't 1 or did i go wrong somewhere?

and it touches the x axis at y=0
so when y=0
0=212ex0=2-\frac{1}{2} e^x

2=12ex2=\frac{1}{2} e^x

4=ex4=e^x

ln4=xln4=x

where did it all go wrong? :frown:

Yeah, that's all fine. I thought the function was 2ex2 - e^x whilst writing my reply up, hence the discrepancy.
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, that's all fine. I thought the function was 2ex2 - e^x whilst writing my reply up, hence the discrepancy.

ah ok :smile: It's all good

Quick Reply

Latest