The Student Room Group

What do Londonders do for fun?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I moved out a few years ago myself but I've never had this thought. There is just so much to do, there's always a popup somewhere, so many restaurants and entertainment hotspots, galleries, exhibitions, and also plenty of places where you can get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, like the Royal Parks.

Recently I have been spending more time out in the open in small towns and have started to rather like it. I always thought I'd be one of those people who need a busy, noisy, filthy city to live in but I'm not so sure any more. I can therefore agree with you when you say that it's not a pleasant place to be in.

Original post by Lawliettt
We laugh at the filthy peasants who don't live in London.

Poor guys.

Edit: While on the topic, I'd just like to say that TFL are poo.

TfL are amazing and run one of the best transport networks in the entire world :colonhash:
Original post by M451

TfL are amazing and run one of the best transport networks in the entire world :colonhash:

Bruh. TFL and their *****y random delays to trains and buses are the reason I was late to school so often. If they're one of the best then I can't imagine how dodgy the others must be.

I didn't even know cardiff had internet tbh. Filthy crop growing, horse carriage riding, fedora wearing peasants.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Lawliettt
Bruh. TFL and their *****y random delays to trains and buses are the reason I was late to school so often. If they're one of the best then I can't imagine how dodgy the others must be

The level of integration of so many modes of transport into one system cannot be seen anywhere else in the country. The ticketing system is a dream for people living elsewhere in the UK who need to buy individual tickets for each bus and light rail operator and need to learn a million different tickets for rail travel. Oyster cards and contactless can be used on buses, trams, all Underground lines, Overground, TfL Rail, even heavy rail services and so much more in London. You'd have a nightmare anywhere else if that isn't good for you.

Buses in London have to follow far stricter guidelines than those in other parts of the country. The vast majority of the fleet is under 5 years old and frequency in inner zones is sublime. The bus bringing me home from school (outside London) is timetabled every 20 minutes but arrives whenever it wants, and has often had me waiting 45 minutes +.

The Tube is one of the best rapid transit systems in the world. Even your heavy rail services are good compared to others. Southern and maybe some other TOCs are horrible and I believe are undergoing major reforms, but after you've experienced delays and rolling stock like the appalling Pacer and other **** we get in the North, maybe you'll think it's not so bad. I've lived both in and out and still visit London frequently. I know where I'd want to stay. Maybe pay the Paris Metro a visit, or even just their website and see how bad TfL is after that.
Reply 23
Well you have more in the number. But you actually get less. When you convert money you get the equivalent same in both currencies but you also pay a conversion rate so you get less money overall.

If you go to some countries tho, £100 may be quite a bit when converted. There are countries where the minimum wage is about £300-£400 equivalent a month so the food prices and such are similarly lower. Which means you could go to a nice restaurant and only spend £10-£20 on 2 people.
Original post by Devify
Well you have more in the number. But you actually get less. When you convert money you get the equivalent same in both currencies but you also pay a conversion rate so you get less money overall.

If you go to some countries tho, £100 may be quite a bit when converted. There are countries where the minimum wage is about £300-£400 equivalent a month so the food prices and such are similarly lower. Which means you could go to a nice restaurant and only spend £10-£20 on 2 people.

That ^^^

Also ihatePE, now that the pound has lost quite a lot of value I'd say that it leads to the same amount of money at the end
A few months ago I remember 1€ was like £1,8 , so yeah it would have been a lot better to exchange money atm because you'd surely have had an advantage
Not sure if I'd qualify as a Londoner but I love exploring new areas of London. Walking around, seeing galleries and exhibitions, finding new restaurants...
Renting Boris bikes and cycling around the touristy areas is definitely one of my favourite things to do
Original post by fksociety
LOOOOOOL you peasants get back to the farm

I almost had a heart attack when I read that peasant claim Cardiff is better than London.

This is why elitism exists. To keep cretinous peasants like the ones on here out!
Reply 27
Well not lots, but you could probably order a full price large pizza from a place like Pizza Express for amount you get after converting the £5. Which for here is like what, 20-25 pounds.
Guys and Op. I found a great website that brings up events and thing sot do in any place, any time. I'ts mainly focused on London and even does each distinct area.
Check it out.

http://uk.funzing.com/
You know the saying - if you don't know how to have a good time in London, you're doing something wrong :redface: London is the greatest city in the UK, my home and I love it to bits. Summer is the perfect time to go out and enjoy London.

But just for inspiration, here's a few ideas for you:

Spoiler

Original post by asif007
You know the saying - if you don't know how to have a good time in London, you're doing something wrong :redface: London is the greatest city in the UK, my home and I love it to bits. Summer is the perfect time to go out and enjoy London.

But just for inspiration, here's a few ideas for you:

Spoiler

Haha. I wish Edinburgh was like that :colonhash:
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Haha. I wish Edinburgh was like that :colonhash:

There's nowhere like London! But Edinburgh is nice in its own way, just not on the same scale as London :biggrin:
Fun? At best go to the pub to get drunk or to posh, pricey pseudo ethnic restaurants. Most times, though, you simply lay alone in bed and watch your contacts' pictures on Facebook, showing how good they allegedly had it at pub or at the pseudo ethnic restaurant.

Quick Reply

Latest