The Student Room Group

Should you sue the NHS?

Should you sue the NHS?

An interesting debate topic here I think - should one sue the NHS?

Say, for example, an NHS doctor made a drastic mistake, or an administration failure lead to a serious health problem for a patient, or perhaps even that an ambulance was not able to easily reach an emergency scene due to lack of equipment, and someone suffers as a result. The problem might stem from individual mistakes on the front line, right back to administration error partly due to lack of funding.

The possibilities are endless, but it still always boils down to the question of
Is it right or wrong to sue the NHS?
(edited 7 years ago)
Due to an incompetent GP I'm unable to have children. He refused to refer me to a private urologist, never listened to what I said to him, then at a second appointment, he undertook a physical examination without listening to my prior experiences, and ended up (very painfully) injuring me, despite me strongly asking him to stop at several moments. Due to the pain I was left in, he sent me straight to A&E (with a note of an obviously incorrect prognosis), but surgery wasn't successful, and as a result, it's no longer a possibility for me to have a child.

I did think about suing, but I figured that the NHS had enough on their hands and they do so much good work. I've heard lots of horror stories of GPs, but also lots of praise about their cancer wards. Suing to cover the cost of a reparative operation, I see no issue with. But if all hopes have been destroyed, then there's no amount of money that can put it right, and the NHS have enough to worry about as it is, let alone dealing with someone demanding money off them just because someone they employ wasn't up to the task.
(edited 7 years ago)
You shouldn't sue because of problems stemming from lack of funding. That's only going to accentuate the problem! If a serious problem was caused by incompetency I may be inclined to take the matter further though.
I did used to know someone who did. (or rather, her parents did) Her cord was wrapped around her neck and she was starved of oxygen. She's unable to do things such as walk or talk.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
I did used to know someone who did. (or rather, her parents did) Her cord was wrapped around her neck and she was starved of oxygen. She's unable to do things such as walk or talk.

Ah that happened to me too. Although I don't have symptoms nearly half as bad as that.
Reply 5
For flagrant malpractice or similar goings on of course e.g. if a surgeon amputated the wrong foot or a GP thumbed off your crippling stomach pains nd your appendix then burst.
For minor oversights that we can see with the benefit of hindsight but wouldnt likely have been seen t the time, no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending